• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New to Reston/Great Falls - HELP!

Anonymouze

Hi everyone in Fairfax county!

I hope all of you can suggest at least one good/great restaurant within Fairfax county there are so many to choose from I'd love to hear from all of you folks out here and get this forum to be more active because I'm NEW to VA!

Please suggest, inform, whisper to me... your best suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it or just say "HI" neighbor. We're finally starting to settle in now. :cool: *Yes, been to Minerva and we love it. I'm open to anything NOT bland. :rolleyes:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

welcome to reston/great falls.

What kind of places are you looking for? You have some great options in all types of foods.

Two quick places I really like (both very cheap) are Minerva (I think the best indian in DC but other will argue) and SBC cafe in the same shopping center has the best roast beef sandwich in town. In Tyson's Corner across from the hummer dealer is Shamshimery (sp?). Really great persian food.

you might also check out two websites:

Chowhound and google tyler cowen lone resturant critic. Tyler has a very good website about great ethic places around DC

Soup

You’ve already found Fiore Di Luna which is impressive in itself. Here are a few of my personal faves to tide you over till you find your own faves:

LEDO Pizzeria at Hunters Woods Plaza. You’re from Jersey so you’d probably perfer my

2nd Fave Pizza: Rubino’s at the Clocktower

For casual fun/playing pool & drinking beer: Great chili & fries at Hard Times Café in the K-Mart Shopping Center.

For a romantic date: Excellent cuisine found at the Market Street Grill at Reston Towne Center.

For light Mediterranean style carryout (or dining in too): Cafesano at South Lakes in Reston

For Asian carryout: Kobe Grill at the Clocktower (if they answer the freakin’ phone!)

Other fun places: Joe’s Dog House in Historic Herndon, The Diner Deluxe 24-hour diner in Herndon

Where I’d eat breakfast on the weekends: Silver Diner

"Don't be afraid of flavor" -- Tyler Florence

Two quick places I really like (both very cheap) are Minerva (I think the best indian in DC but other will argue) and SBC cafe in the same shopping center has the best roast beef sandwich in town. 

These are two that I like a lot myself, especially Minerva for Indian. And I'd recommend the Cubano at SBC myself.

The Town Center is the hub of activity in Reston, but the restaurant offerings aren't great. I have had a few passable things at Busara, Rio Grande (a local chain) for Tex-Mex and McCormick and Schmicks for seafood.

Reston Kabob, off of Sunrise Valley is good for what it is, basic kabobs and bread.

El Manatial in the Tall Oaks Shopping Center is good Mediterranian, with some tapas and pretty good pizzas. Also in that shoppng center, there is a pretty good little Pho place.

I am not a big sushi fan, but Ariake in the Hunter's Woods shopping center is nice and pretty good for rolls (that's all I order).

Beyond that if you're looking for a top level place near here, one of the challengers for best restaurant in the area is Maestro at the Ritz in Tyson's Corner. Also in Tyson's Colvin Run Tavern is generally very good American cooking and a little further in Falls Church is 2941, American tasting menus in a dramatic interior.

you might also check out two websites:

Chowhound and google tyler cowen lone resturant critic.  Tyler has a very good website about great ethic places around DC

Soup

I'd also recommend DonRockwell.com for more dc food yak.

Bill Russell

While looking for Joe's crab shack which isn't around anymore we found a Burmese restaurant a bit up the street from Borders/Sterling-cascades area.

We shared a delicious mixed appetizer plate, a goat and curry dish and a chicken and coconut w/noodles dish that tasted like chicken noodle soup with a bit more texture/flavor (and slivered eggs)...

We also ordered dessert, mine I instantly traded for hubby's and ate half of his cream of wheat thingy which was tasty, mine made me gag - it was NOT my taste, however - he liked it.

Are there any good seafood places in or near Reston, Sterling, Herndon that anyone can suggest? I would definitely appreciate any and all suggestions and I keep reading them. Thanks again everyone - be well and have a great wknd.

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

• 3 weeks later...

We'll definitely have to try El Manatial - Anyone know of any real good seafood places to go in Reston or Herndon or Sterling or real close by? Thanks! I'm open to any or all suggestions - please keep them coming - thanks again.

Oops I'm sorry I meant non-chain. I'm experienced with M&S and it's not what I was quite looking for but thank you!

My boyfriend got a job in Fairfax so he and his parents were out apartment-hunting today. Finally found a nice condo to share for $545/month plus utilities in Reston! I had never been in Reston before and it is gorgeous! Anyway, we went to Reston Town Center and ate at Clyde's. While the food there wasn't as good as the Clyde's in Columbia or Chinatown, I wouldn't turn down eating there again. The only thing I found lacking was that our server was pretty attentive to our needs until it came time to pay the bill. Clyde's is a pretty good place to take in-laws or non-adventurous eaters. The bf's parents liked it very much and are looking forward to visiting again soon.

Also, Edible Incredible's cakes are marvelous. I bought the lemon one and the white cake with chocolate frosting. They are so fluffy and moist. Way better than Cake Love, which I think is overrated, anyway.

"I need another magnum of your best champagne here and bring us the finest food you got stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, Sir. Lobsters stuffed with tacos."