• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unfried spring rolls

Kent Wang

I was introduced to this dish when I was a teenager by a friend's mom. It's simply a regular Chinese spring roll with the filling fully cooked, rolled into the skins and served without frying.

It is similar in concept to the spring rolls they have in Southeast Asia except the skins and filling are quite different. Has anyone tried this or seen spring rolls served this way in China?

I was introduced to this dish when I was a teenager by a friend's mom. It's simply a regular Chinese spring roll with the filling fully cooked, rolled into the skins and served  without frying.

It is similar in concept to the spring rolls they have in Southeast Asia except the skins and filling are quite different. Has anyone tried this or seen spring rolls served this way in China?

I know Exactly What you are talking about!! My mom used to make this for us when we were little. Its very very simple and a great way to feed a group, its fun and its assemble your-self. Its called, I know im butchering this but, Po-Phea.......

First you will need egg roll wrappers, bring those out to thaw, then seperate as many as you will eat, i'd say 4-5 a person

You will need:

kecap manis

Egg roll wrapers

Toppings: Anything you want (this is what we use)

omelet (cooked very thin, then sliced in strips)

small shrimp

chinese sasuage

toasted peanuts (add alittle suger for sweetness or not)

braised chinese vegetables (carrots and cabbage squeezed dry)

Method:

You start by placing your wraper with a point facing you. spreading a thin layer of the kecap manis just above the edge about 3 inches long. Start with your toppings, put anything inside you want, just remember dont overfill it, because the moisture of everything will cause the wraper to rip.

Roll the point facing you over the pile of topings, and begin rolling it up, when the roll reaches the two middle points facing < > fold those into the middle >< then finish rolling it the rest of the way. Hold it together with your fingers and eat!

I hope this helped

~Dirty~

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

I was introduced to this dish when I was a teenager by a friend's mom. It's simply a regular Chinese spring roll with the filling fully cooked, rolled into the skins and served  without frying.

I know Exactly What you are talking about!! My mom used to make this for us when we were little. Its very very simple and a great way to feed a group, its fun and its assemble your-self. Its called, I know im butchering this but, Po-Phea.......

First you will need egg roll wrappers, bring those out to thaw, then seperate as many as you will eat, i'd say 4-5 a person

You will need:

kecap manis

Egg roll wrapers

Toppings: Anything you want (this is what we use)

omelet (cooked very thin, then sliced in strips)

small shrimp

chinese sasuage

toasted peanuts (add alittle suger for sweetness or not)

braised chinese vegetables (carrots and cabbage squeezed dry)

Method:

You start by placing your wraper with a point facing you. spreading a thin layer of the kecap manis just above the edge about 3 inches long. Start with your toppings, put anything inside you want, just remember dont overfill it, because the moisture of everything will cause the wraper to rip.

Roll the point facing you over the pile of topings, and begin rolling it up, when the roll reaches the two middle points facing < > fold those into the middle >< then finish rolling it the rest of the way. Hold it together with your fingers and eat!

I hope this helped

~Dirty~

I think the Po Piah is the Southeast Asian version. The Taiwanese vesion is call Yune Binng. It has pretty much everything of the Southeast Asian version except for the kecap manis. This is probably originated from Southern part of the Fujien province of China and quite popular among the Hokkien/Fujienese settlers in Taiwan and Malaysia.

Cheers.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

• 2 weeks later...

yes, i believe this originated in fujian. my family's version is very similar to what i tried in xiamen (city in fujian). we call it lumpia (pron: loom-pia). i recall that my grandma's cook used to serve this about twice a year on certain special occasions. these days we prepare this whenever we feel like it and very often in summertime.

here is my family's version:

main filling:

cook together carrot, cabbage, green beans, chicken, pork, dried shrimps, fish balls, shrimp, hard tofu and bean sprouts. all ingredients must be shredded and finely chopped, except for bean sprouts. drain and let it cool down slightly before serving.

side toppings:

- chopped toasted peanuts mixed with sugar

- egg omelet, finely shredded

- toasted shredded seaweeds mixed with bits of crispy noodles

- chopped fresh garlic mixed with tomato sauce (plus fresh chili, if desired)

- fresh coriander

wrapper:

- spring roll wrapper (handmade ones are nicer, but we use commercial ones)

- fresh lettuce (butter lettuce is my lettuce of choice for this dish)

assembly:

- place spring roll wrapper on plate and then place lettuce on the front half of wrapper.

- fill lettuce with main filling and then top with side toppings of choice.

- cover with lettuce, fold sides, then roll.

as SeanDirty said, "Its very very simple and a great way to feed a group, its fun and its assemble your-self." when all the ingredients are served on the table, it looks quite appealing and the DIY aspect of it is quite fun.

Lumpia, egg roll wrapper, is different from the more common ones we see, the thick dough wrappers. These are very thin, white and fragile ones made from rice flour? :unsure:

These would be easier for a group project than the other rice paper wrappers that require pre-soaking in warm water to make them pliable. I'll have to remember that for my next group project!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com