• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp and Holy Trinity

Malawry

I have some shrimp. I have lots of fresh green peppers from the farm market, and I always have celery and onions. I don't want to make NO BBQ shrimp, nor do I want to make a gumbo. I do want to make something where the shrimp is the only protein. Any suggestions? Something that goes well over rice would be ideal; no pasta dishes please.

I specifically want something with a Louisiana flavor. And I'm the kind of girl with file stocked in the cabinet. Thanks for the ideas.

Shrimp jambalaya instantly springs to my mind. If you want to make it really special, go through the trouble of making shrimp stock from the shells to use as the cooking liquid for the jambalaya.

And a nice shrimp stew (the brown kind, with a roux) would be good, too. Kinda like a chicken stew or fricassee, but you use shrimp instead of chicken. Especially good with large shrimp.

Or an oh-so-cajun shrimp & potato stew (don't serve this one over rice). Make a medium brown roux, smother/wilt the veggies (onion, celery, pepper, lots of garlic) in the roux, add water or shrimp stock, a half-teaspoon of crab boil, and a whole bunch of peeled, cut up potatoes. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, then add in peeled (usually small) shrimp and the juice from a fresh lemon, a generous handful of chopped parsley and one bunch of green onion, chopped. Once the shrimp are done, taste & adjust salt.

Or, make a shrimp and rice stuffing for those green peppers. Cook the rice, making it slightly underdone. Saute chopped celery, onions, bell pepper, garlic, green onion in a little butter until soft, then add the shrimp and saute until just pink. Fold in the rice, then stuff into cleaned green peppers. Top the peppers with a sprinkle of seasoned bread crumbs and a slice of lemon. Stand the peppers up in a baking dish; pour a little water into the bottom of the dish and bake peppers until tender.

shrimp creole

shrimp etouffee'

creole

etouffee' (just substitute the shrimp for the crawfish)

edit: to add links, and suggest file' powder if you have it to finish.

My votes as well. The creole would be a good choice now in the height of tomato season up here.

Or skip the trinity and go for a fried shrimp poboy. Mmmmm........... So glad I'm going to New Orleans in October.

Edited to correct Dan-Quayle-esque spelling error. Doh!

Edited by bavila (log)

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Baked shrimp we used to do in Cajun land

one pound shrimp peeled, seasoned

one onion diced

one bell pepper diced

can of Rotel tomatoes or your preferred liquidy tomato concoction

tablespoon of flour to thicken

2 tablespoons butter to grease the casserole dish

bake covered at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour

Simple. Great with rice, deviled eggs.

Edited by My Confusing Horoscope (log)

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

This is an old favorite that I learned at Commander's Palace years ago. It's usually served as an appetizer, but double the recipe and it can certainly be a main course.

SINGING SHRIMP

Makes 2 servings (appetizers)

6 to 8 large shrimp

8 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1/2 cup sliced fresh white button mushrooms

1 ounce brandy

Worcestershire sauce

Salt and cayenne

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the green onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn pink. Add the brandy, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring gently, for a few minutes.

Serve over toast points, toasted croutons, or in pastry shells.

Or toss with pasta.

Or add some chopped tomatoes for a different twist.

• 2 weeks later...
And a nice shrimp stew (the brown kind, with a roux) would be good, too.  Kinda like a chicken stew or fricassee, but you use shrimp instead of chicken.  Especially good with large shrimp.

I loves me some shrimp stew made with really dark brown roux. Good stuff.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

speaking of etoufee' how long is too long to keep in the fridge?

You mean you have some left? I have never had any leftover so I would have no idea of time frames.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This is an old favorite that I learned at Commander's Palace years ago.  It's usually served as an appetizer, but double the recipe and it can certainly be a main course.

SINGING SHRIMP

Makes 2 servings (appetizers)

6 to 8 large shrimp

8 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1/2 cup sliced fresh white button mushrooms

1 ounce brandy

Worcestershire sauce

Salt and cayenne

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the green onions, garlic and mushrooms.  Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.  Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn pink.  Add the brandy, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring gently, for a few minutes.

Serve over toast points, toasted croutons, or in pastry shells.

Or toss with pasta.

Or add some chopped tomatoes for a different twist.

I tried this last night and it is wonderful...thank you for sharing this recipe, it's going into the file...

edit: I'ml an ijitt...forgot to add that I served w/pasta and only made it because the brandy was out from the weekend and I had this recipe saved. what a deal!

Edited by highchef (log)