• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dan's Garlic Bread - flour question

Swisskaese

Very kind of you, Dan! And, it's truly remarkable that your recipes are 'living' and not cast in stone just because they are published. Just made your Apple and Custard Loaf yesterday...for a Sunday brekkie! Delish.

If you have a minute to spare, busy busy man, you should post this on your site.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Hi Dan,

This bread looks absolutely marvelous. I think I'm going to have to try it because I'm an absolute sucker for cooked garlic.

But I have a question. In my refrigerator, I have a sourdough starter that I've been feeding with equal masses of water and flour. Can I use 400 g of my starter in place of your pre-ferment? I think the flavor of my sourdough might work nicely with a somewhat sweet and garlicky filling. Or in your opinion would this not be a good idea?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Melissa, I would use a mixture of leaven and yeast just to give the dough a little tang. Something like this:

100g active white leaven refreshed 50:50 water/flour

200ml water at 20C (68F)

1/4 tsp dry active yeast,

mixed with 50ml warm (38C) water and a tbsp flour and left for 15 minutes

325g strong white bakers flour

10g (1 3/4 tsp) sea salt

75ml extra virgin olive oil

You could leave the yeast out but, of you do, don't start folding the garlic in until you see clear signs of bubbles forming in the dough (probably after 3 - 4 hours at 20C - 25C)

regards

Dan

dan,

thanks so much for the demo! beautiful, just like your book "the handmade loaf". i have to say i've been trying to show that book to anyone who will listen to me, not only because it is beautiful but because i really love your attitude toward bread and baking. now i have to get the book that this garlic bread is in!!! darn. :wink:

thanks again for your time!

Dan,

Thanks for the hints. I'll be trying this, but it will need to wait a couple of weeks as my schedule will be crazy enough that I'm not going to be around enough to do anything with my starter between now and then. But when it happens, I'll definitely report back.

MelissaH

Melissa, I would use a mixture of leaven and yeast just to give the dough a little tang. Something like this:

100g active white leaven refreshed 50:50 water/flour

200ml water at 20C (68F)

1/4 tsp dry active yeast,

mixed with 50ml warm (38C) water and a tbsp flour and left for 15 minutes

325g strong white bakers flour

10g (1 3/4 tsp) sea salt

75ml extra virgin olive oil

You could leave the yeast out but, of you do, don't start folding the garlic in until you see clear signs of bubbles forming in the dough (probably after 3 - 4 hours at 20C - 25C)

regards

Dan

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Dan,

great recipe, and as always your dedication and generosity to those you teach is inspiring.

I didn't have enough garlic to make the original today, so made a version of this bread laminating in raisins tossed in cinnamon instead. Don't have any pictures to show off, but it made fantastic bread. I plan to also give it a go with olives (instead of the raisins, not as well!).

I am always trying to convert recipes to sourdough, and was interested in your suggestion a couple of posts back to fold in the 'garlic' (or whatever else I guess) after bulk fermentation has shown clear signs of fermentation. That might mean 3 or 4 folds at hourly intervals.

Then after folding in the garlic once, would you repeat the folds (say at hourly intervals?) before final shaping. (In the original there were two more folds after adding in the garlic) And then how long would you leave for a final rise? (Normally I would leave for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature before baking, but if I had folded during that time would it be reduced?)

(enjoy Berlin)

cheers

Dom