• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you use tiny (0.5 cup / 100 ml) tupperware?

Kent Wang

Absolutely! I use them all the time for little bits of things. A bit of lemon or lime juice, some leftover dipping sauce that will be perfect over rice the next day, dabs of things that I don't want to go to waste and will use in a few days - all fit perfectly.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

As a general rule, and within reasonable limits, the smaller the container, the more often it gets used.

I often use half cans of things, so the rest of the can goes in a container and then into the fridge or the freezer, depending. Masking tape makes great labels, and I always have it around. Comes right off when it's time for the dishwasher.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I love them! My relationship with tupperware (actually Lock 'N' Lock) is kind of embarrassing, I love it, and I find great joy in having precisely the appropriate container.

In any case, the small containers are great for storing chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - I rarely use an entire can, anchovies (same thing) as well as all the other assorteds that others have mentioned.

The only problem with small tupperware is the difficulty of washing them in the dishwasher. They're so tiny that they flop around everywhere and often do not get properly washed by the jets.

As a general rule, and within reasonable limits, the smaller the container, the more often it gets used.

A good rule indeed. Do you ever feel though that we who believe in this rule are in the majority? My parents certainly never had tiny tupperware, nor do any of my friends.

I love them!  My relationship with tupperware (actually Lock 'N' Lock) is kind of embarrassing, I love it, and I find great joy in having precisely the appropriate container.

Me too! I have spent untold amounts of money at Container Store.

In our house we use never used specimen cups for this kind of storage. They're cheaper than almost any kind of branded storage.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

The only problem with small tupperware is the difficulty of washing them in the dishwasher. They're so tiny that they flop around everywhere and often do not get properly washed by the jets.

A good rule indeed. Do you ever feel though that we who believe in this rule are in the majority? My parents certainly never had tiny tupperware, nor do any of my friends.

Me too! I have spent untold amounts of money at Container Store.

I also like them to send teensy portions of fruits/veggies

when packing my kids' tiffins. Yr comment makes me wonder

how my mother packed for us, and I recall we took the

whole fruit :biggrin:

Re dishwasher: I snag them in some nifty clips my DW has for

holding such small floppy items....

Milagai

Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy more.

Most frequent use = kosher salt storage by the stove. It's not as cute as a salt pig, but the salt definitely stays drier during our humid Michigan summers. (Yes, I know that salt pigs help, but they still don't work as well as a sealed container.) It also prevents easily distracted cooks like me from knocking over the container and spilling salt all over the counter.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Many moons ago, one of my acquaintances who had hosted a Tupperware party sometime in the past owned these adorable teensy Tupperware containers that were the size and shape of shot glasses. Complete with wee lids. Not only were they terminally cute, but that size was amazingly useful for all sorts of little bits of things. I recall asking how I could order some, and being told that I couldn't--at the time they were available only as premiums to Tupperware sales people or party hosts or some such. I didn't feel like joining the Tupperware MLM thang, so no cute shotglass containers for moi! :sad::laugh: But if anyone's a Tupperware rep now, and can tell me that these things are now available for general order, drop me a PM, okay? :biggrin:

Meanwhile, I find myself using the smallest of my set of lidded stainless steel bowls all the time. It's the perfect size for the remains of a piece of produce when you just needed one slice/wedge/etc. for whatever you're doing--say, the remains of a lime after I cut one wedge for my drink.

Try this: go to the big K, or Target (etc.,etc.) and buy what is called a "lingere bag" made of nylon mesh with a zipper. They're made for washing "delicate" clothes in the washing machine without getting them twisted, turned, bent, battered or bruised. Load in the plastic, put on the top shelf of the dishwasher, and awaaaay you go!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

But if anyone's a Tupperware rep now, and can tell me that these things are now available for general order, drop me a PM, okay? :biggrin:

I'm not a tupperware rep, but here's the website.

Cheers.

Ellen

and if the link doesn't work, they're called Classic Sheer Midgets Set (they're about 60mL, twice the size of a shot glass, I think).

I've been collecting them for years. They're super useful, and cute, too! By the way, THIS is what I use in my dishwasher for the little buggers! :cool:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

My mother was feeding 5 people which included 3 hungry kids which included my brother, so if there was a dab or a spoonful of something left, it was eaten. It also made it easier to distribute that spoonful among the many plates.

I cook for two, and it's hard to hide that extra half cup of sauce on only two plates :biggrin:. Also, a half cup of sauce will be plenty for two servings at another meal.

My parents also didn't have much Tupperware/Rubbermaid at all....they reused margarine containers for that kind of thing. This is why it was vital that we replaced the margarine container with actual margarine in it in the right place in the fridge - otherwise there was no telling what you would find inside.

Marcia.

whose butter tubs are used for watering wells for her African violets

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog