• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Options in Silver Spring MD

AVLee

My Wife needs to take a vegetarian out to lunch, and would like to see what suggestions members have for places to eat in the Silver Spring area that features a vegetarian menu. Thanks for any input.

My Wife needs to take a vegetarian out to lunch, and would like to see what suggestions members have for places to eat in the Silver Spring area that features a vegetarian menu. Thanks for any input.

Taste of Morocco and Mandalay are not strictly vegetarian, but offer great veggie options. Also, Red Dog cafe, which is not in downtown SS but is worth a few minutes drive, has great vegetarian pizzas and I think they have a soy cheese option for vegans (I dream about their brown pie).

Here's a good source (scroll down for SS):

vegdc.com

It's also not far to Takoma Park, where Mark's Kitchen has many wonderful vegetarian options. I used to order their vegetarian BLT-club type sandwich often in my vegetarian days. But really, go to Mandalay--it's more exciting than Mark's and more worth a special visit.

Another place to try in SS -- Taste of Jerusalem. Although not a veggie restaurant per se, it serves several meatless dishes in the tradition of the region.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

My husband raves about Eatzi's on Rockville Pike? in Rockville for great salads, gourmet food and stuff (you can take it to go... check out their website?!) also about 1 or 2 blocks further west there is an All you can eat salad and pizza and "dessert" pizza place in a plaza which is behind a small bank, which is more family style and about 7.50 pp with a tall drink. Goodluck!

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Rockville isn't really that close to Silver Spring, though. If you're a vegetarian in Rockville you owe it to yourself to eat at either Vegetable Garden or Yuan Fu for all-vegetarian Chinese food.