• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buenos Aires Steak

Good question Ryk, and keep in mind that those of us who are talking about how crazy expensive it is are those of us, for the most part, who live here and live on pesos, not on dollars or euros. A "typical" neighborhood spot for steak - anywhere from 15-25 pesos for a good quality steak (this is just the steak, before anything else you might order). A "nice" parrilla, i.e., something that might be more of a treat, or more special night out, anywhere from 25-35 pesos for the steak. A place like Las Lilas, anywhere from 30 on up to 50. It's still cheap by U.S. or European standards - I mean, you're paying at most about US$15 for that steak at Las Lilas, but from our view, when you can get an equal quality or, truthfully, far better steak (and that's the key point, for the extra few dollars, you're getting a lesser quality steak, and an experience that's not at all local, but designed and marketed specifically for tourists), for around US$10... it makes a difference. On a vacation budget, it's probably irrelevant for most people.

Through this thread there has been a continual statement that Las Lilas is crazy expensive, yet no one has ever qualified what Expensive is?

Can anyone give me an idea of what a good steak dinner in Ba would normally cost in a decent upscale restaurant? and what Las Lilas would charge for a similar meal?

Just curious....

Thanks

Ryk

Edited by saltshaker (log)

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

• 9 months later...
Any  Fall, 2008 updates?  Thank you in advance.

if you have never been to Las Lilas go, its like going to my hometown Miami for Stoncrabs and not go to Joe.s. If you cannot afford $15.00 for a steak then just go to the local choices ,and know that you cannot compare the meal to Las Lilas.

• 1 month later...
I will be In Buenos Aires at the end of a hiking/running trip through Patagonia over Christmas and New Years.  I love steak and am anxiously reading about the local beef.  I want to go to the "best Place". Many recommend Cabana Las Lilas.

We will be with a group so I can get away one or max two times. RR

I am Argentine, I would not dream of going to Cabana Las Lilas. It is definitely touristy and ridiculously overpriced. I think they charge over 20 pesos for a chorizo, which is unheard of. You can get good meat in Buenos Aires at many places, no need to go there. To add to everyone's list I recommend 2 places. "El Pobre Luis" in Belgrano, a great Uruguayan parrilla decorated with soccer jerseys. And my favorite is "Las Talas del Entrerriano", a very different type of parrilla. It is difficult to get to, out of the way in a sketchy part of the suburbs, kind of dirty and with 0 ambiance. But the meat is absolutely amazing, try the "lechon" if you go. Very cheap and no tourists.

I will be In Buenos Aires at the end of a hiking/running trip through Patagonia over Christmas and New Years.  I love steak and am anxiously reading about the local beef.  I want to go to the "best Place". Many recommend Cabana Las Lilas.

I am Argentine, I would not dream of going to Cabana Las Lilas. It is definitely touristy and ridiculously overpriced. I think they charge over 20 pesos for a chorizo, which is unheard of. You can get good meat in Buenos Aires at many places, no need to go there. To add to everyone's list I recommend 2 places. "El Pobre Luis" in Belgrano, a great Uruguayan parrilla decorated with soccer jerseys. And my favorite is "Las Talas del Entrerriano", a very different type of parrilla. It is difficult to get to, out of the way in a sketchy part of the suburbs, kind of dirty and with 0 ambiance. But the meat is absolutely amazing, try the "lechon" if you go. Very cheap and no tourists.

I am sorry Argentine but please understand American tastes, personally I do not like any steak in Argentina, anymore than you would like the amazing steak at Peter Luger , $80.00 for two. In Argentina, if I have to eat steak I really would like to try your local Parilla and I will try it next time in Buenos Aires.However, as a first time visitor Cabana Las lilas at $15.00 is the atmosphere of Buenos Aires that an American needs to experience just as I recommend Stone Crabs at Joes in Miami , expensive not worth it but a must for tourist.

Argentinadave, All the locals I know go to Cabana ,maybe to be seen, but the only reason I see to go to a local place is to get it less expensive not to get a better steak. However, on my next trip I will give you notice and you and I will visit your local place as my treat.

Argentinadave, All the locals I know go to Cabana ,maybe to be seen, but the only reason I see to go to a local place is to get it less expensive not to get a better steak. However, on my next trip I will give you notice and you and I will visit your local place as my treat.

Gagit, how do you know there's no better steak than Cabaña Las Lilas, particularly when you haven't been to other places, and moreover when you say you don't really like the meat in Buenos Aires?

Both locals and visitors have already stated that Cabaña Las Lilas is an overpriced tourist trap, and have offered alternatives.

Wouldn't you think it'd be better to try a few of those before coming up with such broad generalization?

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Gagit, how do you know there's no better steak than Cabaña Las Lilas, particularly when you haven't been to other places, and moreover when you say you don't really like the meat in Buenos Aires?

Both locals and visitors have already stated that Cabaña Las Lilas is an overpriced tourist trap, and have offered alternatives.

Wouldn't you think it'd be better to try a few of those before coming up with such broad generalization?

Silly <I have eaten in other steak restaurants including Rosa Negra , that many locals told me was the best steak, where only locals go and has been reviewed on my website .I have even eaten in other so call local steak houses that were not worthy of comment. Howver, i also invite you to join Argentinadave to his favorite local steak place and then we can agree to disagree, and I do like steak but have not found one I can say I like in BA but am openminded to try more.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh for joy for joy!

This thread is wonderful as my wife and I will be in B.A. for a week to sample the steaks and soak up the culture. I've made a list based on the posts in this thread and hope to snap some pictures and post a mini review when we get back.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 2 weeks later...
I am sorry Argentine but please understand American tastes, personally I do not like any steak in Argentina, anymore than you would like the amazing steak at Peter Luger , $80.00 for two. In Argentina, if I have to eat steak I really would like to try your local Parilla and I will try it next time in Buenos Aires.However, as a first time visitor Cabana Las lilas at $15.00 is the atmosphere of Buenos Aires that an American needs to experience just as I recommend Stone Crabs at Joes in Miami , expensive not worth it but a must for tourist.

...? Well, Im another Argentine... and I lived in Manhattan and was a regular at Peter Luger. I find their Porterhouse to be outstanding.

Cabana Las Lilas is not a true Argentine experience..... in Argentina, the concept of Steakhouse is just plain foreign... we can eat steak at every coffeshop if we want to. Also, its plain not true lthat at all the "normal" parrillas you cannot get your steak raw.... dont mean to hit on you, but its clearly a case of you not being able to communicate in Spanish. If you want it raw, you must say "casi crudo, apenas vuelta y vuelta". If they do not bring it like you order it, then just send it back. I assure you that when I want my meat to be alive, I order it that way and thats how I get it.

Also... my rant with Cabana is not only that its not authentic, but that its also grossly inconsistent. If you go during peak hours you will have to wait, and service will suffer.... steak getting cold while you wait it not unheard of. Their wine list is as thick as a telephone book, yet when you get into detail the vintages they offer are usually not available. Also, price for wine at this place is also highway robbery.

To end my post.... I urge those of you that love your meat rare to go to La Brigada in San Telmo... order the Baby Beef and you will be in heaven. Hugo and his team serve it alive and pretty much kicking. Even if you are not into bloody beef I would suggest you visit La Brigada.

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar

...? Well, Im another Argentine... and I lived in Manhattan and was a regular at Peter Luger. I find their Porterhouse to be outstanding.

Cabana Las Lilas is not a true Argentine experience..... in Argentina, the concept of Steakhouse is just plain foreign... we can eat steak at every coffeshop if we want to. Also, its plain not true lthat at all the "normal" parrillas you cannot get your steak raw.... dont mean to hit on you, but its clearly a case of you not being able to communicate in Spanish. If you want it raw, you must say "casi crudo, apenas vuelta y vuelta". If they do not bring it like you order it, then just send it back. I assure you that when I want my meat to be alive, I order it that way and thats how I get it.

Also... my rant with Cabana is not only that its not authentic, but that its also grossly inconsistent. If you go during peak hours you will have to wait, and service will suffer.... steak getting cold while you wait it not unheard of. Their wine list is as thick as a telephone book, yet when you get into detail the vintages they offer are usually not available. Also, price for wine at this place is also highway robbery.

To end my post.... I urge those of you that love your meat rare to go to La Brigada in San Telmo... order the Baby Beef and you will be in heaven. Hugo and his team serve it alive and pretty much kicking. Even if you are not into bloody beef I would suggest you visit La Brigada.

Order the Alamos Malbec 2005 and do not get robbed and enjoy the atmosphere, the steak is not for me anyway, I prefer the Paku at Jangada if I want to eat meat, of the fish ,of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Gaucho, I agree with you 100% and you probably expressed it better than I could have. Steakhouses are a foreign concept in Argentina, people don't go out for steak. The concept is more "parrilla" or "asado" where steak is a part of a much larger bbq, including all kinds of offal and different cuts of meat. My suggestion, aside from going to a restaurant is to try to get somebody in Argentina to cook you an asado. Or go to an estancia (ranch) you can book them for the day or night and have an asado there. This is usually a 3-4 hour meat-eating extravaganza, done slowly and you work your way through the different parts of the cow.

While you will certainly have great steak in BA, I think you can also have a great steak in the U.S, both at a restaurant or at home.

I think that you get the biggest return on your money and time when you eat stuff that is not replicated in the US in the same exact way.

I suggest that you eat the following items when in a Buenos Aires Parrilla:

- Morcilla (blood sausage)

- Chorizo (pork/beef sausage)

- Mollejas (sweetbreads)

- Matambrito de Cerdo (Pork Flank Steak)

- Asado de Tira (Beef Short Ribs)

argentinadave . I will be in BA on March 3 and free to go with you as my guest along with a gourmet friend of mine to Las Tales,let me know if this is good for you and we can make plans. You can email me directly ar ergagit@mac.com

Just got back from BA this weekend. Our meal at La Brigada was outstanding. The wine service was top knotch professional. The best of our entire trip to Chile and BA. The ojo de Bif was the best steak ever cut with a spoon before serving. We ended the meal with a warm whiskey sabayon. Wow. So don't pass it up.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Just got back from BA this weekend.  Our meal at La Brigada was outstanding.  The wine service was top knotch professional. The best of our entire trip to Chile and BA.  The ojo de Bif was the best steak ever cut with a spoon before serving. We ended the meal with a warm whiskey sabayon.  Wow.  So don't pass it up.

Jmahl

this sounds to good to pass up