• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking advice re: Flushing restaurants

dimsumfan

Coming to Flushing soon, and would appreciate advice on the best Chinese restaurants to try. We'll likey have three dinners there, and maybe dim sum or other breakfast and possibly late-night snacks.

Looking for places that are authentic, hole-in-the-wall, spicy, or otherwise unique. Leaning toward:

Joe's Shanghai (yes, we love their xiao long bao)

Spicy & Tasty

Have heard decent things about Sichuan Dynasty, though maybe not better than the two above. Any other places you'd recommend? I've read the thread about the food stalls in the Flushing Food Court (or was it Flushing Mall?) and another one nearby.

Any and all help appreciated - thanks!

Well, if you're looking for Cantonese, a perennial favorite is New Luck Kee, which was called Sun Luck Kee when it was on Mott St. in Manhattan for ever (I guess). They relocated to Flushing several years ago (and only just recently got around to reprinting their menus). It's a great place for seafood and lobster and traditonal Cantonese favorites.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Unfortunately, the Flushing Food Court at 36-58 Main St. closed last fall. It's now a Chinese bookstore. The food court in the Flushing Mall at 133-31 39th Ave. always looks busy, although the retail businesses seem to be struggling.

Unfortunately, the Flushing Food Court at 36-58 Main St. closed last fall.  It's now a Chinese bookstore.  The food court in the Flushing Mall at 133-31 39th Ave. always looks busy, although the retail businesses seem to be struggling.

Oh, too bad about the closure! How's the food at the Flushing Mall food court?

Interesting enough, I had a Chinese Driver this morning on my way to Jerzey. He had a really strong accent and I havent been able to find the place he suggested in Flushing.. But it sounded like Loue Ming Chwen.... I assumed it would have been spelled Lu Ming Chun.. It was Shanghai Cuisine.. Anyone know this place? He mentioned 37th street off of main I think..

Daniel,

Your driver was pointing you to Joe's Shanghai - 37th Ave East of Main Street.

Interesting enough, I had a Chinese Driver this morning on my way to Jerzey. He had a really strong accent and I havent been able to find the place he suggested in Flushing.. But it sounded like Loue Ming Chwen.... I assumed it would have been spelled Lu Ming Chun.. It was Shanghai Cuisine.. Anyone know this place? He mentioned 37th street off of main I think..

Not bad Daniel...That's how I would pronounce it in mandarin.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Daniel,

Haha.. Are you being serious.. How did you get Joes Shanghai from Lu Ming Chun?

Well, if you're looking for Cantonese, a perennial favorite is New Luck Kee, which was called Sun Luck Kee when it was on Mott St. in Manhattan for ever (I guess).  They relocated to Flushing several years ago (and only just recently got around to reprinting their menus).  It's a great place for seafood and lobster and traditonal Cantonese favorites.

Try the Cantonese lobster and the salt and pepper scallops. And the chives, and the stuffed peppers.

Sun Luck Kee Burned down. I allways wondered how the saved the menus. There sure was a lot of gambeling going on late night at the old location...

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Daniel,

Daniel - really. Not kidding. Joe's Shanghai's chinese name is Lu Ming Chun/Tswin. Of course, it is not a direct translation. I mean c'mon, how many people in china do you think are named Joe, or even allister.

Edited by allister (log)

My wife's and my current favorite for dim sum is Gala Manor on 37th between Prince and Main. Very large selection. And if you're interested in the full effect they offer premium tea service. Though the standard Pu Erh satisfies our tea cravings.

We just tried a new restaurant that opened on Prince and 38th, called New Pacific. It is in the building that formerly housed Prince. We were underwhelmed with the food and service. We had Chinese broccoli, a short rib dish, and steamed chicken with ginger and scallion. None of them were worth going back for. The chicken wasn't prepared properly, too much pepper took away from the ginger/scallion flavor that should have dominated. I didn't try the short ribs. The Chinese broccoli was just ok, nothing special.

Daniel,

Daniel - really. Not kidding. Joe's Shanghai's chinese name is Lu Ming Chun/Tswin. Of course, it is not a direct translation. I mean c'mon, how many people in china do you think are named Joe, or even allister.

Ahh.. You are good.. That would have bothered me forever.. I appreciate that my Flushing experience only includes Spicey and Tasty.. Is Joes any good?

Edited by Daniel (log)

I was in Fresh Meadows seeing my flute repairman yesterday. Afterwards, I took the 17 bus into Flushing and hit my favorite places, but it was too early for me to be hungry for a full sit-down meal. I bought a couple of snacks at A&C Supermarket (the Ting Ting Jahe ginger candy now costs $1.49 a bag, up from $1.29) and then stopped by Chao Zhou for two leg quarters of Soy Sauce Chicken to go. I then walked over to Unique Pastry on 40th Road, got a Hot and Sour Vegetables Bing at Unique Pastry, and spoke with the proprietress. Unique Pastry right now has temporarily suspended its sitdown operation but is continuing its takeout operation as usual and the bing tasted exactly the same as always. I then went to Spicy & Tasty and got five cold dishes to go - the spicy chicken, the hot chili noodles, the seaweed, the eggplant with garlic sauce, and the bamboo shoots in hot oil. So far, everything from Chao Zhou and Spicy & Tasty is just as great as I remember. I have yet to open the eggplant or the bamboo shoots. They packed large containers of all the dishes, so I'll be eating them for a few days. I think I'll have some Chinese food for breakfast this morning. :laugh:

By the way, I stopped at the teahouse on the corner of Prince and 39th Av. and got some Taro Milk Tea to go. It was the strongest bubble tea I've ever had -- really strong and slightly bitter tea flavor. It wasn't really what I was expecting, but considering how tired I was yesterday afternoon, maybe it was what I needed that day. Next time, though, I think I'll hit another place for tea.

Michael aka "Pan"

--Spicy & Tasty

--Waterfront International Enterprises for the Crispy Lamb with Spices. Delicious.

Only Chinese restaurant focusing on cuisine of Liaoning Province that I know of.

Just get a plate of the lamb and some beer if you want a snack.

But other unique dishes are Country Style Green Bean Sheet, Whole Jellyfish Flower, and Mixed

Sweets

40-09 Prince St

--I highly recommend dinner at Shanghai Tide.

It's an all you can eat (and drink beer) hot pot bonanza

for like $20. Throw 100 things in the spicy smoky

boiling broth, make your own dipping sauce at

the sauce bar, and eat and get drunk. Especially enjoyable

in a big group.

13520 40th Rd