• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How has the internet changed cooking and eating?

I was just mulling the fact that an Egullet member was able to tell me that he lives right around the corner from the hotel I asked about, in Paris.

I was making a salad using vegetables from a farmers market spoken about often by another New Jersey member.

I know a guy that has invited 100 people he never met to his house and I drove through 5 states to go there.

We can now find out about a new food item by asking someone who just ate it last night on the other side of the world.

We can eat, meet, and greet through a keyboard and cameras, we know who's carrot cake looks best, who eats the most corn, and how to butter braise beef.

How has this changed you?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It has made it much easier and cheaper to be well informed. For food, I have specifically used this in learning about different items, people, places and preparations. It has helped me plan my travels to a degree I never would have dreamed of. In addition, I have met some wonderful friends, especially through eGullet.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I can be obsessed without necessarily being committed (to an institution!). I know far more than anyone ought to know about dispatching frogs!

Seriously, I have made some marvellous friends both virtual and actual. I have learned more than I can begin to say about ingredients and techniques. No book can give the kind of feedback that one gets from sites like this. Without the internet I would have to pay thousands of dollars to go to cooking classes. The internet lets me search out and compare recipes at a speed that is not possible when consulting books. I am sure that I have only covered a fraction of the possibilities that the internet offers in terms of dining and cooking information.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's just been amazing how you can be in touch with people who you probably never meet in your life and exchange thoughts on food and cooking. Though it's fun to read about restaurants, it's even more exciting to get great recipes and tips. To me, it's even better than a cookbook, since you can't bounce ideas off of it.

Edited by annachan (log)

I was just thinking about this this morning!! I'm reading 'The World is Flat', while I'm on the treadmill and I was musing on how the internet has 'flattened' the cooking world. Recipes, techniques, ingredients, advice...they're all at your fingertips. I can find a recipe, order the ingredients that I cannot get locally from my laptop, send the shopping list to my cellphone/pda and have an authentic meal that was reccommended from someone from e-gullet who lives on the other side of the world from me. Unlimited information. Makes for a level playing field, and lets everyone to follow their interest as much as they dare. Gotta Love it!

I agree with all of the above. I love the Internet and the opportunities I've had to learn so much more about food, especially since I'm examining my Sicilian heritage. I've so enjoyed meeting other people with a passion for food.

That said, remember the old recipe box? Mine is filled with recipe cards from family members and dear old friends, often in their own handwriting, sometimes finished in circles around the card because there wasn't enough room. These cards are stories in themselves, how I received the recipe, how often I made it (the very best ones have splotches from spills) I go through the box and see the story of my life.

Now when I ask for a recipe, I'm sent to WWW.com.

I eat in front of my computer a lot more.

The new power lunch.

I use the Internet to research recipes. I don't look at cook books that often and find it easier to search the web and get 10+ recipes of a single dish. I usually use a recipe as a guide and not the gospel so I am looking for trends. I have learned a lot about different cuisines and techniques here at eGullet. I have a lot of little hobbies and with each there is a message board that has helped propel the knowledge of that hobby to new heights. Okay, I'm a BB junkie

I'm another one whose cookbook collection has pretty much stopped growing. If I want a recipe for something, I check my favorite sites or go hit Google. My file folder of printed out recipes I've tried and liked and want to make again keeps growing, though.

I also shop for the larger pieces of cookware online. We don't have a lot of cooking stores around here, and when they do have something it's often at a much worse price, even taking shipping into account.

I've been so happy to find a community or two of relatively like-minded people when it comes to food. That alone has expanded my horizons and my culinary repertoire. (The 100 people you've never met to your house doesn't seem unusual to me, since I was helping run Usenet parties 16 or so years ago!)

The downside is that I now know what I'm missing here. When you only have magazines or newspaper stories, it's a lot easier to dismiss them as unusual occurrences, but when you've got everyday folks telling the same stories, you know they have something you don't have access to.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

We're better informed, eat better and a result, I hope, live better. And along way, we meet like minds and maybe our food obsessions aren't so outlandish...after, great minds think alike and meet on eGullet. :raz:

Edited because sometimes , my fingers move faster than my brain :angry:

Edited by CharlotteM (log)

I can't begin to write all that I've learned from the internet in terms of cooking and eating.

This site itself has been invaluable! :wub:

Being able to locate foodie books at my public library, ordering ethnic and regional food from a website.

Endless how to cook and what to cook recipe sites

The convenience of restaurants websites and having information (menus, pricing, accessibility, hours) before I get there.

All good stuff.

Wow! The internet has expanded my horizons in a way that I doubt I could have ever achieved otherwise.

I've learned so much from people all over the world when it comes to food and cooking. How else would I have obtained this knowledge otherwise?

I use the Internet to research recipes.  I don't look at cook books that often and find it easier to search the web and get 10+ recipes of a single dish.  I usually use a recipe as a guide and not the gospel so I am looking for trends.

Interesting, I am precisely the opposite. I use the internet (especially eGullet) for inspiration, but I prefer to get recipes from cookbooks. I favor cookbooks where the authors thoroughly understand a particular cusine and imprint the book with their passions and idiosyncracies. Recipes from random strangers on the Internet lack a consistent author's voice, so I find it harder to adapt the recipes to my taste.

Edited to clarify.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

I use the Internet to research recipes.  I don't look at cook books that often and find it easier to search the web and get 10+ recipes of a single dish.  I usually use a recipe as a guide and not the gospel so I am looking for trends.

Interesting, I am precisely the opposite. I use the internet (especially eGullet) for inspiration, but I prefer to get recipes from cookbooks. I favor cookbooks where the authors thoroughly understand a particular cusine and imprint the book with their passions and idiosyncracies. Recipes from random strangers on the Internet lack a consistent author's voice, so I find it harder to adapt the recipes to my taste.

Edited to clarify.

This seems too arguable, so I'll try to be brief.

Have you not seen the demonstrations taken place in the pastry section? Many people here are probably better than a lot of the cookbook writers already out there, but do not have the time, money, or ability to put what they know into a book. We here on the net are able to pick their brains with a single click, and get personal with the "so called author".

I think you are missing out on a lot, or maybe you havent discovered what we already have.

When I walk into a cookbook section in a Barnes and Noble, I am instantly stressed. Stressed because for every decent cookbook there are 250 lousy ones that shouldnt even be opened. Thats because people dont know anything about food so its easy to sell a shit book. Kind of like when your mechanic rips you off for parts you DONT need.

Here you get a large culmination of people and opinions, plus THOUSANDS of years of accumilated work experience/stories/drama/and practice that you can never get in a single book.

There are so many books that have flawed recipes in them too. If someone has a flawed recipe here its easy to get back in touch with them and see where the recipe went wrong, or where you went wrong. With the book you are in the dark if you dont understand, get a new one is your only hope.

Not to mention the amount of great chefs you can meet on here, find out what they are doing new almost instantaneously, without waiting years for it to circulate or for them to actually write a book themself.

READ EVERYTHING!!! thats what I say.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

For me it's all about the camaraderie.

I live in an area that might be considered a culinary backwater. Information was always available through books and magazines, and products and equipment by mail order, but the opportunity for the pleasure of learning and sharing through personal contact hardly existed before the internet.

THANX SB :smile:

What scubadoo said.  I have a hard time understanding the "how many cookbooks do you own" thread, because I hardly ever look at a cookbook these days.

I love the web, but I also love my 200+ cookbooks - some more than others. I especially love old cookbooks or cookbooks containing old recipes. It's interesting to see how recipes evolve over time. It'll be a sad day when we have to pick between cookbooks and the web. :sad:

Anthony: Apparently I hit a nerve, however unintentionally. Was it the “random strangers” line that triggered your response? If so, I should clarify that “random strangers” did not refer to eGullet. Instead, it referred to sites such as allrecipes.com or epicurious.com. Issues with recipes posted on such sites have been addressed repeatedly on eGullet.

If that doesn't trigger a response of "Never mind" on your behalf, perhaps I should address some of your points. We may not be as far apart as you believe.

Have you not seen the demonstrations taken place in the pastry section?

Disclosure: I am a pastry moron. While I have a great deal of respect for what pastry folks do, and for the quality of posts on the Pastry & Baking forum, making pastry is a miniscule part of my life. I cook for enjoyment, for relaxation, and to feed a family of four (not necessarily in that order). Accordingly, I have read every word in the “savory” demos. For what it is worth, I have also enjoyed your writings about culinary school.

Many people here are probably better than a lot of the cookbook writers already out there, but do not have the time, money, or ability to put what they know into a book.  We here on the net are able to pick their brains with a single click, and get personal with the "so called author".

No argument. Recent cookbook purchases include ‘Land of Plenty’ by Fuchsia Dunlop (who posts here occasionally) and ‘All about Braising’ by Molly Stevens (subject of a 17-page thread). I have also made a killer Panang curry, among other Thai dishes, based upon discussions on the Elsewhere in Asia/Pacific forum.

I think you are missing out on a lot, or maybe you havent discovered what we already have.

I understand what eGullet offers and value it greatly, so I’m unclear about the source of your vehemence.

When I walk into a cookbook section in a Barnes and Noble, I am instantly stressed.  Stressed because for every decent cookbook there are 250 lousy ones that shouldnt even be opened.  Thats because people dont know anything about food so its easy to sell a shit book.

Again, no major disagreement. My research before buying a cookbook borders on obsessive. Consequently I own relatively few cookbooks. Guess where I have gotten most of my cookbook recommendations recently? Yup, right here.

Kind of like when your mechanic rips you off for parts you DONT need.

Um, you are confusing me with someone else. With the time saved by not making pastry, I long ago learned to do basic automotive repair :biggrin:

Not to mention the amount of great chefs you can meet on here, find out what they are doing new almost instantaneously, without waiting years for it to circulate or for them to actually write a book themself.

This comment illustrates a key difference between home cooks and aspiring professional chefs. Ambitious professionals (in any profession) need to know about the latest developments in their field. This is far less important for a home cook. I could amuse myself in the kitchen contentedly for the rest of my life solely by exploring that which is already known about cooking. Remember, I do this for fun and enjoyment. In my professional field, on the other hand, I need to keep current and use the Internet, among other tools, to do so.

I respectfully request that you reconsider your response.

I use the Internet to research recipes.  I don't look at cook books that often and find it easier to search the web and get 10+ recipes of a single dish.  I usually use a recipe as a guide and not the gospel so I am looking for trends.  I have learned a lot about different cuisines and techniques here at eGullet.  I have a lot of little hobbies and with each there is a message board that has helped propel the knowledge of that hobby to new heights. Okay, I'm a BB junkie

I hope I didn't give the impression that I don't own or use cookbooks. In a preparation of a Middle Eastern dinner that I hosted for 15 people last week I had 4 of my best Middle Eastern cookbooks out to survey how they each approached a certain dish. When I made my first attempt at a very large brisket on the grill for Father's day I turned to the internet and did a quick search which always includes eGullet and found several recipes on how to best cook that beast. I think cookbooks are great and in many cases find that you get a lot of inspiration from the author who has a lot of passion for their cuisine. I some books there is a lot of history written that if read gives you a much greater appreciation of the cuisine in question. So in reality I use both but I don't find that the recipes from the faceless people are that different. Again I look for general trends in a recipe. What are the common threads and how do people vary the recipe. The internet gives you the quickest mode to compare and is invaluable for new dishes that you don't have a cookbook for. And as a BB junkie I can attest to the fact that, it is the personal interaction and the sharing of ideas that makes the internet so much fun in the quest for knowledge of my hobbies.

I'm another one whose cookbook collection has pretty much stopped growing. If I want a recipe for something, I check my favorite sites or go hit Google. My file folder of printed out recipes I've tried and liked and want to make again keeps growing, though.

Being a true cookbook junkie is not only about recipes.

It's comparible to buying artwork.

The internet has just made it easier for me to get the good stuff!

CHEF JOBS UPDATE - September 07 !!

Latest global Chef jobs listing and news now available!

Take a look online here:

http://www.hostec.com.au/newsletters/chef/sep07/

I was just mulling the fact that an Egullet member was able to tell me that he lives right around the corner from the hotel I asked about, in Paris.

I was making a salad using vegetables from a farmers market spoken about often by another New Jersey member.

I know a guy that has invited 100 people he never met to his house and I drove through 5 states to go there.

We can now find out about a new food item by asking someone who just ate it last night on the other side of the world.

We can eat, meet, and greet through a keyboard and cameras, we know who's carrot cake looks best, who eats the most corn, and how to butter braise beef.

How has this changed you?

Well. Where to begin?

The Internet in general, and eGullet specifically, has changed my life.

I love to eat, cook and write and talk about food. I have always had friends for whom I can cook, but only when I found eGullet, did I find a community of people with whom I could discuss endlessly every single aspect of food. I have spent hours just browsing thorugh old threads, learning so much. It still amazes me, every day, how people are so generously willing to share their time and their knowledge and expertise here.

The Dinner! thread is like having the entire world as a guest at your table.

The inspiration. If it wasn't for the cook-offs there are many dishes I would not have attempted. It's so much more fun to do it together.

I have met wonderful people here. Some of them, on the other side of the planet, are right now organizing a party for me for when I come visit them in September. How cool is that?

I still love my cookbooks though. I buy a bit less, maybe, and when I buy I look for books with a distinctive voice, or with lots of stories and background info. Books that I can take to bed for a good read.

So the answer is, the internet has changed my life, the way I cook, the way I eat, the way I deal with food.

I love eGullet!

Bruce, I wont reconsider my reply because what I said was not out of frustration or you hitting a nerve. My tone is more towards being positively exited, and it wa meant for far more people than you, thats why I gave so many examples.

You are right though, if one part of what you said spawned the reply in majority, it was the "strangers" comment. I too agree with you considerably on the recipe sites. I never visit them, and if I must check some recipes for formula varification I will go straight to a book and not a website.

Basically my post was meant almost like an advertisement, to recapture all that I find great about egullet. And if you agree with me on my post, the parts you didnt feel directly related to you, I am not so sure how you can be completely opposite of scubadoo.

Maybe you just love books so much, its hard for you to accept you love the net too?

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

When I think about how the Internet, and specifically eGullet, has affected my life, it reminds me of the "Connections" PBS series on years ago, hosted by James Burke. Essentially, in his series, he illustrates, repeatedly, how one small change can foster a new era. And I believe we're in a new era.

As many other eGulleters are, I'm in a fairly isolated area, and I don't travel that much. Before eGullet, I had to rely on the major food magazines, plus whatever was on the shelves at the public library, Borders, and my own home, plus a little on TV. Once I joined eG, though, the change was dramatic. I learned about things I never would have stumbled across on my own. I have "met" and in some cases, met in person, people with whom I never would have crossed paths otherwise. I have even grieved --deeply, in at least one case-- for people whose eyes I've never looked into, whose hands I've never shaken. But those people have influenced my cooking, and since cooking is a large part of my life, they have had a substantial effect on my life. The world has become much, much smaller. Culinarily speaking, IMHO, the creation of eGullet is right up there with the invention of the telescope. Maybe the world won't see it that way, but that's the effect it's had on my world.

Through eG I've learned of ingredients, dishes, techniques, chefs, and authors I would likely never have heard of. Because of eG, I now pay $6.99 for a can of San Marzano tomatoes, and nearly $5 for a can of tuna, and I'm happy to do so. I make caramelized onions, and usually have a jar of 'toast dope' in my fridge. I no longer eat canned vegetables (except for tomatoes), and seldom frozen vegetables. Junk food is no longer something I'm willing to eat, much less do I crave it. I haven't become a food snob, but my palate has.

I could go on and on, but that's the gist of it. This is an incredible place; the Internet itself augments the things I hear about on eGullet. It all adds up to a major educational opportunity for me.