• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu Help

Daniel

Hello,

I am having Sunday Dinner at my house and was hoping people could help me choose wines with each course.. I am planning on buying a few half bottles for the four of us.. I would like either suggestions or types of wine I should be using.. I am looking to not spend more then a hundred and 50 bucks in total..

First Course:

Goose Foie Gras w/ rasberry coulis and brioche toasts.. Will have a little frisee

Second Course:

Purple Peppers stuffed with Creole Crab Salad.. Also serving with some bitter lettuces..

Wine here please

Third Course:

Purple Basil Ravioli stuffed with a mixture of ricotta, mozzarella, and serving them with a fresh roasted tomato sauce..

Wine Here please

Fourth Course:

Bison Tasting (Marrow and Tenderloin).. I might be serving this with a demi glace.. I also have baby fingerlings I will be roasting with garlic.. And either doing skillet scallions or wild mushrooms with sichuan peppers..

Wine for Buffalo and marrow please.. Maybe will get a whole bottle here for cooking too...

Fith Course:

I am doing the cheese course as a salad too.. Here I have more bitter lettuce.. I am taking a stinky piece of sheeps cheese, wrapping and baking so the cheese oozes..

Wine here please..

Sixth Dessert:

I am making a blueberry vanilla custard tart..

Wine here? Or coffee and whisky?

Edited by Daniel (log)

Good luck finding enough interesting half-bottles. I would buy full ones and drink the remaining wine with your leftovers during the week

Goose Foie Gras w/ rasberry coulis and brioche toasts.. Will have a little frisee

Argyle Brut, Oregon or Champagne

Purple Peppers stuffed with Creole Crab Salad.. Also serving with some bitter lettuces..

Purple Basil Ravioli stuffed with a mixture of ricotta, mozzarella, and serving them with a fresh roasted tomato sauce..

with both of these a good dry Rose - Domaine Ott Bandol Rose should be easy to find in Manhattan.

Bison Tasting (Marrow and Tenderloin).. I might be serving this with a demi glace.. I also have baby fingerlings I will be roasting with garlic.. And either doing skillet scallions or wild mushrooms with sichuan peppers..

Big food deserves big wine - Napa Cabernet here like Spottswoode or Shafer. If you go with the hot peppers lean towards a power Pinot Noir from Oregon's rich 2003 vintage.

I am doing the cheese course as a salad too.. Here I have more bitter lettuce.. I am taking a stinky piece of sheeps cheese, wrapping and baking so the cheese oozes..

A good rich Sauternes for both the cheese and dessert course

I am making a blueberry vanilla custard tart..

Armagnac and Coffee

I'd have to agree with most of the above suggestions.

For the foie gras, you could also try one of those sweeter sparkling reds to go with the raspberries.

As for the buffalo course, I've found australian shiraz to work pretty well with spicy meat dishes.

I also really like tawny port with stinky cheese and dessert, and you can get some reasonably-priced ones.

Sounds like a great dinner!

with both of these a good dry Rose - Domaine Ott Bandol Rose should be easy to find in Manhattan.

I was hoping you would have suggested a Chablis or a Muscadet for the crab.. When asking the wine guy at a restaurant if there is a wine that beats a nice cold beer with shellfish, he told me these two would.. :biggrin:

But now I am wondering how a Rose would go with the pasta.. That might be really interesting..

Thanks for your suggestions..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I was hoping you would have suggested a Chablis or a Muscadet for the crab.. When asking the wine guy at a restaurant if there is a wine that beats a nice cold beer with shellfish, he told me these two would..

But now I am wondering how a Rose would go with the pasta.. That might be really interesting..

I suggested the Rose with the crab because of the peppers and creole style which a Muscadet might be a bit lean for - crab on its own is perfect with Muscadet - one of my favorite wines

I was hoping you would have suggested a Chablis or a Muscadet for the crab.. When asking the wine guy at a restaurant if there is a wine that beats a nice cold beer with shellfish, he told me these two would.. :biggrin:

Ha ha...I actually meant to suggest Chablis or Muscadet for the crab but forgot to put it in my post!

I thought the rose idea was definitely more interesting, and I do love rose with food.

Ok.. So I am definately buying a Muscadet either way now.. Thanks Craig.. Can you suggest a nice whole bottle of Rose for me.. What characteristics should I look for in my Rose..

Go see Lyle Fass at Crush in Manhattan and tell him what you like and what you're interested in. I have no affiliation, but think he is great for slightly off-the-beaten-path wines like good old world rosés, Muscadet, etc.

Also, look for anything imported by Louis Dressner at Chambers Street. You can also take their advice. No affiliation here either.

While you can choose to spend a lot of money at either place, both are stores where you can find great and slightly out of the ordinary drinking at very good prices.

Alternatively, read Jim Cowan's posts and take a list of what appeals to you to Crush or Chambers Street and they'll direct you from there.

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.