• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Specialty shops in Chicago

I'll be in Chicago next weekend (Aug 25-26), staying at the Hyatt McCormick Place. I know they have a shuttle to the Miracle Mile for shopping, and I wondered if there was anything in particular I should make sure I do............shops, restaurants, etc. ?

If you're going to the Mag Mile area then Sur la Table on Walton between Michigan and Rush is a great option. If you're in the cooking business they have a 15% industry discount and you just have to show them a business card or some type of proof.

If you're able to get out around the city a little more then I'd recommend Northwest Cutlery on the corner of Lake and Halsted in the heart of the meat packing district. They sell to all of the local chefs and do knife sharpening while you wait. Definitely more of a professional store than Sur La Table which, as nice as it is, definitely caters to the "Suzy Homemaker" crowd.

Hope this helps.

There's so much to eat, see, and do, especially if you're willing to hop on a train or bus (or taxi). What are your particular interests in food and merchandise? For example, there's a great medium-high-end resale shop just off the Brown Line that Ms. Alex always makes a point of visiting, but I don't know if that's your thing. Others may say a Chicago dog or Italian beef is quintessential Chicago and a must-eat; I say, not so much. <ducks quickly to avoid a barrage of sport peppers being fired from across the big lake>

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Check out this thread:

Where are your favorite places to shop in Chicago?, Restaurant-supply stores?

Unfortunately, the Edward Don outlet store is now closed.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

As for shopping, nearly every retailer known to man and woman is on the Mag Mile (or one block west). Just start at the river, and walk north. As for food ... don't miss Fox & Obel in Streeterville (east of Michigan Ave, just north of the river). Great specialty food store - and a lifeline for transplanted Chicagoans who miss Dean & DeLuca. Also, if you are in pastrami withdrawal for any reason, visit Ashkenazy Deli in the Gold Coast. (Manny's will do, too, but they don't have homemade halvah.) Skip the long lines of tourists at Uno and Due, and head for Gino's East or, better yet, Giordano's on Rush, south of the Peninsula hotel. And don't fret if you don't have time to make it through Navy Pier, unless you don't have a hometown Haagen-Dazs scoop shop and need a fix. For breakfast, there is there's always Lou Mitchell's (who knows how many Chicago politicians you'll see eating their morning eggs), but I always loved the Original Pancake House off Rush Street - even if they did let Matthew Modine crash the line one Sunday morning. Try the chicken-apple sausage - awesome. And if Cereality is still open in the Loop, that's a fun trip. But please, please try Gold Coast dogs, with the works. However, Alex is right - skip the beef. If the Italian deli is open in the basement of the Hancock, near the north end of the Mag Mile, try the bocconcini, and have the little lemon roll cookies for a snack.

Definitely hit Fox and Obel. I think it might be the best food store in the city. As a visitor, it'll be a bit frustrating because you'll want to buy stuff, cook with it, etc. Still, their cafe is great and it's a fun place in which to wander.

Another fun spot for specialty foods is The Chopping Block, which, in addition to its great line-up of classes and events, carries some fantastic food products and kitchenwares.

As for Chicago-style, Deep Dish pizza, my opinion is that Lou Malnati's is, by far, the best of the best. They have a restaurant in River North at 439 North Wells Street.

Another cool spot is Intelligentsia Coffee, which is now offering public tours of its Roasting Works Facility at 1850 West Fulton Street in Chicago.

So many more . . . it's really only limited by your interests and amount of time you have to spend.

=R=

There's so much to eat, see, and do, especially if you're willing to hop on a train or bus (or taxi). What are your particular interests in food and merchandise? For example, there's a great medium-high-end resale shop just off the Brown Line that Ms. Alex always makes a point of visiting, but I don't know if that's your thing. Others may say a Chicago dog or Italian beef is quintessential Chicago and a must-eat; I say, not so much.  <ducks quickly to avoid a barrage of sport peppers being fired from across the big lake>

It may not be dockhl's thing, but I sure would like to know about that resale place. Details, pretty please?

As far as things to do, the Architecture Foundation has great walking, bus, boat and bike tours.

Chicago Architecture Foundation

ETA link

Edited by Marmish (log)

As for Chicago-style, Deep Dish pizza, my opinion is that Lou Malnati's is, by far, the best of the best.  They have a restaurant in River North at 439 North Wells Street.

RS,

Do you think the location on Wells is as good as the Suburban one?

Molto E

I don't know. My favorite is their original location in Lincolnwood. But from my experience, QC is pretty consistent at Malnati's, so I'm guessing that all their locations turn out product that is equally high in quality.

=R=

• 2 weeks later...
There's so much to eat, see, and do, especially if you're willing to hop on a train or bus (or taxi). What are your particular interests in food and merchandise? For example, there's a great medium-high-end resale shop just off the Brown Line that Ms. Alex always makes a point of visiting, but I don't know if that's your thing. Others may say a Chicago dog or Italian beef is quintessential Chicago and a must-eat; I say, not so much.  <ducks quickly to avoid a barrage of sport peppers being fired from across the big lake>

It may not be dockhl's thing, but I sure would like to know about that resale place. Details, pretty please?

As far as things to do, the Architecture Foundation has great walking, bus, boat and bike tours.

I'd love to know about this place too - we just moved to Chicago and are on the Brown line. Sounds like a great place!!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I'd love to know about this place too - we just moved to Chicago and are on the Brown line. Sounds like a great place!!

McShane's Exchange (women's clothing and accessories only). Their Armitage shop is near the Brown Line (and across the street from Charlie Trotter's); the Webster branch is a pleasant walk from there.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thank you all for your suggestions. They were so enticing !

I ended up flying in on Thurs., which was a HORRIBLE day to fly, got in 4 1/2 hrs late :angry: after spending much time on runways waiting to get flight clearance.........

Friday afternoon I got in a little shopping, nothing really special, and left on Saturday, early in case there were thunderstorms again.......couldn't miss my connection in Phoenix !

However, I did get a kung pao bao and a pomegranate gingerale (excellent!) at the Watertower, and bought myself some goodies.

I'd forgotten how pretty Chicago is, and how much energy it has. I cannot wait to go back (under more shopping-friendly conditions :biggrin: )

Thanks again for your help.

Kathy