• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lebanese breakfast.

One day after the cease fire and a month long invasion of Lebanon, an old lady stood in front of the rubble of her family's home in the south of Lebanon and declared, " We will, be able to knead and bake our own bread".

Here is to her and hers.

My wife let this dough rise overnight.

gallery_39290_2121_93904.jpg

Early in the morning I heat the Saaj and my wife cleans it with water.

gallery_39290_2121_63236.jpg

Our neighbours from one side (my brother Sam and his wife Fadia) join in to help.

gallery_39290_2121_143603.jpg

Our neighbours from the other side (my brother Dani and his wife Claude) bring Arabic coffee.

gallery_39290_2121_112133.jpg

The AB looking guy is Sam.

gallery_39290_2121_161020.jpg

The pillow is called 'kara'. Used to stretch the dough to half the thickness of a Tortilla and delivery onto the Saaj..

gallery_39290_2121_45896.jpg

Viviana and Fadia work feverishly. The bread cooks in about one minute.

gallery_39290_2121_91713.jpg

They get help.

gallery_39290_2121_68255.jpg

Brother Dani and his son Nader.

gallery_39290_2121_85279.jpg

Some Baabeel

gallery_39290_2121_30769.jpg

Manaeesh.

gallery_39290_2121_120137.jpg

gallery_39290_2121_138430.jpg

Home made Labneh and cheese. Olives, oil, zaatar from Lebanon and homegrown veggies.

gallery_39290_2121_4647.jpg

Edited by ChefCrash (log)

I've never understood the differences between the various types of middle eastern breads. Perhaps it's just a language thing. I know breads like you show here as Lavash (iranian). Is it a different thing?

Great stuff.

Thank you for the pictures and for sharing this beautifull day in the sun.

Thanks Nicoli, the aromas were awsome.

is what u call the "baabeel" the same dough, just different shape? 

everything looks spectacular, btw.  the breads must turn out so great with the saaj.

Yes, the same dough. 3/4 ap flour, 1/4 corn flour.

I've never understood the differences between the various types of middle eastern breads.  Perhaps it's just a language thing.  I know breads like you show here as Lavash (iranian).  Is it a different thing?

The two breads mostly eaten in Lebanon are Pita and Khoubz Marqooq (the one we made above).

ChefCrash-

Thank you so much for sharing that wonderful breakfast. I can smell the manaiish on the saj baking at my favorite shop in the beloved Beirut. It is very inspiring and I will have to bake me some soon, albeit on my make shift stove top upsidedown wok rather than a lovely real saaj.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Great pictures Chefcrash. Thanks for sharing. The breads look fabulous. How nice that you have your family so close by to share in these experiences.

I have been on a lebneh kick lately. How do you make your lebneh - is it a similar process to making yoghurt?

Great pictures Chefcrash.  Thanks for sharing.  The breads look fabulous.  How nice that you have your family so close by to share in these experiences.

I have been on a lebneh kick lately.  How do you make your lebneh - is it a similar process to making yoghurt?

Thanks Shaya,

Labneh is simply, strained yogurt. My wife makes yogurt using whole milk (sometimes Half & Half) and about 1/2 cup of culture (leftover yogurt from the last batch).

The yogurt is then strained overnight in a strainer lined with a couple of layers of paper towel.

gallery_39290_2121_21660.jpg

Great pictures Chefcrash.  Thanks for sharing.  The breads look fabulous.  How nice that you have your family so close by to share in these experiences.

I have been on a lebneh kick lately.  How do you make your lebneh - is it a similar process to making yoghurt?

It's simply yogurt with the excess water drained out. Click here for a recipe.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 10 months later...

ChefCrash, I'm intrigued by your saj setup. Can you describe exactly what you've done there? Looks like you set up a gas range inside a bucket and put a wok on top? Any guidelines for how close the flame should be to the wok surface, that sort of thing? How do you secure the wok? Or do you just balance it on there?

I guess I can start with FoodMan's stovetop suggestion... I just like the outdoor arrangement. I've been thinking of a big yard party with all our recent Syria experiences (newspaper on tabletops de rigueur).

Zora O’Neill aka "Zora"

Roving Gastronome

Thanks Nicolai, good to hear from you again.

ChefCrash, I'm intrigued by your saj setup.  Can you describe exactly what you've done there?  Looks like you set up a gas range inside a bucket and put a wok on top?  Any guidelines for how close the flame should be to the wok surface, that sort of thing? How do you secure the wok?  Or do you just balance it on there?

I guess I can start with FoodMan's stovetop suggestion... I just like the outdoor arrangement.  I've been thinking of a big yard party with all our recent Syria experiences (newspaper on tabletops de rigueur).

Zora,

You can see how I built it here.