• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon/Lime/Citrus Curd: The Topic

bloviatrix

I need a recipe to use as a filling in a 3 tier wedding cake (unexpected request, has to be ready saturday). I'd like something that sets a little firmer than a typical curd. Anyone have a recipe they've used in this way?

Thanks in advance!

Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream. Line the cake pans with plastic wrap, freeze the cream in the pan, then lay it right into the cake as you construct it.

I've done that before, e.g. in Herme's Riviera, but never in a 12" cake that will likely be out of refrigeration for several hours before serving. I'm afraid that it would not stand up well.

why do you think lemon curd would stand up any better? the lemon cream is really nothing but a curd with the butter added at a different point at a different temp and then whizzed with a stick blender. You could make a lemon gel insert that won't melt. I did that once with passion fruit and it worked ok.

Edited by McDuff (log)

I need a recipe to use as a filling in a 3 tier wedding cake (unexpected request, has to be ready saturday). I'd like something that sets a little firmer than a typical curd. Anyone have a recipe they've used in this way?

Thanks in advance!

Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream. Line the cake pans with plastic wrap, freeze the cream in the pan, then lay it right into the cake as you construct it.

I've done that before, e.g. in Herme's Riviera, but never in a 12" cake that will likely be out of refrigeration for several hours before serving. I'm afraid that it would not stand up well.

why do you think lemon curd would stand up any better?

I don't, at least not a typical lemon curd, which is why I asked for a recipe "that sets a little firmer than a typical curd." What I just did, and tomorrow I'll see how it turns out, is make something similar to Herme's lemon cream, just with a higher proportion of eggs and a lower proportion of butter. I ended up using 12 yolks + 2 whole eggs to 1C juice, 3T zest, 300g sugar, 240g butter mixed in at the end.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 3 weeks later...

I was searching for passionfruit curd and decided to use the FC recipe, but substitute Boiron passionfruit puree for the lemon juice. It turned out wonderful ~ I can barely stop eating it. I think it would be perfect in small tart shells (I'm thinking the City Bakery recipe) with a browned Italian meringue a la Dahlia Bakery. I'll probably try yuzu, too: anyone have a favorite brand of bottled yuzu juice that can be found in a Japanese market (e.g., Mitsuwa)?

I like the fact that the recipe has so much less butter than the Herme recipe. Makes me feel that much less guilty when I spoon it directly from the fridge. :biggrin:

I was searching for passionfruit curd and decided to use the FC recipe, but substitute Boiron passionfruit puree for the lemon juice. It turned out wonderful ~ I can barely stop eating it.

I made the FC lemon curd a few days ago but used 1/2 c lemon juice and 1/2 c butter. It came out wonderful!!! It was firmer than when made using the recipe as written (as I'd hoped) and still just the right tartness and sweetness for me and so smooth and creamy. I used half, lightened with whipped cream for a cake roll for a friend and the other half got eaten, spoonfull at a time, straight out of the fridge. :biggrin: I bought more lemons.

You may want to try this. Look at about June 26th.

This is a recipe for Lemon Cheese which is then incorporated into what I call a lemon Brulee. Never fails to please especially when the roasted fruit variation is served.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures next time I make this. It looks great when served in tall open mouthed glasses.

Looking for a tried and true orange curd that will be firm enough to use as a filling for wedding cake. The recipe that I currently have doesn't seem to hold up very well. Maybe I should add some sort to thickener. Gelatin? Cornstarch? Tapioca?

Thanks!

Qui,

I use this recipe to glaze lemon mousse cakes, tarts etc. You might have to play with it for a filling but it does hold up well.

1 1/2 cup lemon curd - room temp

2 T lemon juice

1 sheet gelatin or 1 t gelatin

dissolve gelatin in lemon juice and add to curd.

pat

Looking for a tried and true orange curd that will be firm enough to use as a filling for wedding cake. The recipe that I currently have doesn't seem to hold up very well. Maybe I should add some sort to thickener. Gelatin? Cornstarch? Tapioca?

Thanks!

i don't think i would ever risk using an unstabilized curd in a wedding cake either, unless it was just a smear on the layer for a flavor accent. you could try adding gelatine to your present recipe just don't over do it or use a cornstarch thickened recipe...which i thought i had...but can't seem to find :unsure: ...it must be at work. well, i'll post it tomorrow. fat lot a good that did ya... :smile:

i don't think i would ever risk using an unstabilized curd in a wedding cake either, unless it was just a smear on the layer for a flavor accent.  you could try adding gelatine to your present recipe just don't over do it or use a cornstarch thickened recipe...which i thought i had...but can't seem to find :unsure: ...it must be at work. well, i'll post it tomorrow. fat lot a good that did ya...  :smile:

If you could share your recipe, that'd be great...

try this recipe (Laurent Branlard):

270g .... Orange juice

30g ...... Lemon juice

150g .... Sugar

225g .... Butter

150g .... Sugar

40g ...... Corn starch

300g .... Whole eggs

120g .... Yolks

Boil juices, first amount of sugar and butter.

Combine second amount of sugar with remaining ingredients.

Temper these two mixes together and cook as for pastry cream.

good luck. if you're really picky you may need to adjust the sugar amounts depending of the sweetness of your oranges.

also sometimes i like to add a couple drops of orange oil after cooking if it needs a little boost.

Edited by avid (log)

If you use ultra sperse(waxy maize thickner) it won't get watery like cornstach can.  Or you can use both I love the stuff.

where can I find ultra sperse? I will try it out... would you use it just like you would with constarch?

This doesn't address your original question, but I remember Bill Neal's suggestion (in "Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie") to use half lemon and half orange zest and juice in his orange curd recipe. He says that the addition of lemon adds a bright taste and avoids an overly 'cooked' flavor that can result from using all orange in curd recipes.

I've made his lemon curd recipe but haven't tried the orange variation yet myself.

I just noticed that avid's recipe has lemon juice added as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

If you use ultra sperse(waxy maize thickner) it won't get watery like cornstach can.  Or you can use both I love the stuff.

where can I find ultra sperse? I will try it out... would you use it just like you would with constarch?

If cornstarch makes it watery, tapioca starch should not.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

If cornstarch makes it watery, tapioca starch should not.

i've really not had a problem with water seperation even in freeze/thaw situations, at least nothing that would cause any alarm. just make it within a few days of your planned cake building and you should be ok. tapioca starch/waxy maize? keep things simple. the larger your mise en place/ pantry gets the more confusing, disorganized and expensive things get. streamlined and efficient makes a good pastry kitchen!

• 2 weeks later...

Carrying on from Patrick's search for a lemon curd that sets a little firmer than a typical curd, can anyone tell me if adding the additional eggs (and should it be just yolks?) will work to produce a slightly firmer curd? I'd like to use it in as a cake filling as well - sitting over a cream filling in the middle, and on the top of the cake.

I used RLB's recipe and am wanting to try the FC recipe, but need it to set firmer.

Carrying on from Patrick's search for a lemon curd that sets a little firmer than a typical curd, can anyone tell me if adding the additional eggs (and should it be just yolks?) will work to produce a slightly firmer curd?  I'd like to use it in as a cake filling as well - sitting over a cream filling in the middle, and on the top of the cake.

I used RLB's recipe and am wanting to try the FC recipe, but need it to set firmer.

I filled a wedding cake using the egg-rich recipe I posted a while back, and it worked out fine -- no squishing out of lemon curd when the cake was cut, even on the 12" tier. But if you want a lemon filling that is pretty much gauranteed to be firm enough, you could do a cornstarch-thickened lemon filling, as you would do for a lemon meringue pie.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Carrying on from Patrick's search for a lemon curd that sets a little firmer than a typical curd, can anyone tell me if adding the additional eggs (and should it be just yolks?) will work to produce a slightly firmer curd?  I'd like to use it in as a cake filling as well - sitting over a cream filling in the middle, and on the top of the cake.

I filled a wedding cake using the egg-rich recipe I posted a while back, and it worked out fine -- no squishing out of lemon curd when the cake was cut, even on the 12" tier. But if you want a lemon filling that is pretty much gauranteed to be firm enough, you could do a cornstarch-thickened lemon filling, as you would do for a lemon meringue pie.

Patrick, do you have any pix of the wedding cake to show off? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see it!

Patrick, do you have any pix of the wedding cake to show off? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see it!

Thanks, Ruth, but me showing off my wedding cake here, in the company of true cake decorating black belts, would be like entering a rusted-out 72' Ford Pinto in the car show . . . I'd rather not! I'll describe it though -- three tiers, 6", 9", 12", each tier filled with lemon curd, and covered with vanilla mousseline buttercream. A small red ribbon was around the base of each tier. I was asked to do the cake like 2 days before the wedding (nephew's shotgun wedding), so it was rushed.

Thanks, Ruth, but me showing off my wedding cake here, in the company of true cake decorating black belts, would be like entering a rusted-out 72' Ford Pinto in the car show . . . I'd rather not! I'll describe it though -- three tiers, 6", 9", 12", each tier filled with lemon curd, and covered with vanilla mousseline buttercream. A small red ribbon was around the base of each tier. I was asked to do the cake like 2 days before the wedding (nephew's shotgun wedding), so it was rushed.

Aw, come on. Your photos are always great, I'll bet your just being modest. Your decorating is probably better than most, and with a little creative posing, you could bring out the best in the photo of the cake I know its definitely better than mine.

Hey there, Mister, if I can post a cake here, so can you!! It sounds lucious.

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking of layering lemon curd with cheesecake.

As in (from bottom up) some sort of crust, lemon curd, cheesecake, and then lemon curd again.

But should I bake the first three layers (crust, curd cheesecake) and then pour more lemon curd on top and bake just until it sets?

I want to try the PH recipe, unless it's not as perfectly suited to what I have in mind as something else?

May

As in (from bottom up) some sort of crust, lemon curd, cheesecake, and then lemon curd again.

But should I bake the first three layers (crust, curd cheesecake) and then pour more lemon curd on top and bake just until it sets?

I want to try the PH recipe, unless it's not as perfectly suited to what I have in mind as something else?

That layering isn't going to work out well. You can't really bake a curd unless you have a ton of cornstarch in it, and I'm asuming you'll want to bake the cheesecake layer. Unless it's a no bake cheesecake, but the cure would still squish out under the weight unless you cut it while frozen I guess.

I would just recomend a thin layer of curd on top.

That layering isn't going to work out well. You can't really bake a curd unless you have a ton of cornstarch in it, and I'm asuming you'll want to bake the cheesecake layer. Unless it's a no bake cheesecake, but the cure would still squish out under the weight unless you cut it while frozen I guess.

I would just recomend a thin layer of curd on top.

*pouts* Oh well. At least someone told me before I found out the hard way.

Thanks Sethro!

Hmm... But Lemon Curd does freeze okay, right? I think K8 talked about freezing the stuff?

So I could bake cheesecake (without a base) on a sheetpan, and layer it. :cool:

May