• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
hapacooking

Sandalwood Powder

Does anyone know where I might find ground Sandalwood powder in the Bay Area? I checked 99 Ranch and a couple of Indian grocery stores but I havent had any luck locating it.

Could you explain what you want it for? I can give you some sources, but they are not (as I can tell) food friendly.

I am trying to replicate Roy Yamaguchi's Blackened Ahi recipe. His blackening spices call for 'ground sandalwood' which is optional. Although I have made this recipe many times, I thought I would try to make it with the sandalwood this time around. He says it is red in color, very aromatic and can be found in Asian markets. He give a source for it in New Orleans.

I was hoping to find it locally. I know there is sandalwood incense but I am not sure it is the same and if it is food friendly.

Could you explain what you want it for? I can give you some sources, but they are not (as I can tell) food friendly.

no to the incense...I cannot find anyone here who uses the stuff., care to share the recipe?

I am trying to replicate Roy Yamaguchi's Blackened Ahi recipe.  His blackening spices call for 'ground sandalwood' which is optional.  Although I have made this recipe many times, I thought I would try to make it with the sandalwood this time around.  He says it is red in color, very aromatic and can be found in Asian markets.  He give a source for it in New Orleans.

I was hoping to find it locally.  I know there is sandalwood incense but I am not sure it is the same and if it is food friendly. 

i believe u can find sandalwood only at an indian grocer. i know it is used in indian cuisine for certain things -- apart from it's use as incense. hope that helps. try looking online also. it is an obscure spice so u may have difficulty locating/getting your hands on it.

eta: 3 forms -- sandalwood itself called chandan, sandalwood oil called chandan tel and sandalwood essence called ruh chandan.

u might try this and ask them if u can use it for culinary purposes.

Edited by ohev'ochel (log)

How about calling the Roy's in SF 415-777-0277 and see if they can tell you where they

buy theirs? I am sure they could help, the people who work at all the Roy's are always

so nice. A hui hou!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Sandalwood is endangered, to the point where the EO is pushing $2000/lb. It may well be that stores that used to have sandalwood powder can't afford to stock it any longer.

Emily

Sign in to follow this