• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New restaurant : Cuisine Dépendance

Thesorus

I thought it was supposed to be some sort of play on words (well, syllables anyway) Cuis-Indépendance - but I've been know to be wrong about these things.

Is it open yet? I've heard that it's the same manager from the Spaghetatta down the street on Laurier...

I think it will open in the next couple of days ( 1, 2 weeks max ), they were removing the brown paper in the window this afternoon, from what I could see, the chairs were of the same colours as the outside paint colour, white-ish and green-ish.

I thought it was supposed to be some sort of play on words (well, syllables anyway) Cuis-Indépendance - but I've been know to be wrong about these things.

Is it open yet? I've heard that it's the same manager from the Spaghetatta down the street on Laurier...

yeah grill-it:

you're right, it's a French pun. i know because i did what i usually do when i see French puns:

i) what the hey is that?! that's not a word.

ii) <smacks self on head>

iii) OOOhhh, it's a pun!

:laugh::biggrin::smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went there a week or so ago; sat at the bar, and had a nice meal, nothing extraordinary, or mind-blowing.

with the martini, they served some accras ( it was not the standard fish ), nice light "friture".

after that, a tartare of Cerf, with a small crème fraiche, that was good; for main, I decided for something that I will not usually do at home, liver, so, there it was, a couple of nice liver pieces with some creamed potatoes and some root veggies; it was good, well done, but not extraordinary.

For desert, a renversé aux poires, that was good, and I let them choose for me a glass of Maury, but not the usual red Maury, but a white one that paired exceptionally with the pears.

Price was acceptable ( including 1 martini, 2 glasses of wine and the Maury ), as was the service.

What makes it interresting, is that they write their daily's menu on large pieces of paper, so you can decide if you want to stop by for dinner, and it look like they change quite often.

Another good point is that they have "take out", now, it's limited to one item ( meat/fish and a veggies ), but they want to expand the selection.