• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do I NEED a Bamix?

sheetz

I've never been a big fan of kitchen gadgets, but I've recently enjoyed using my cheapo immersion blender, mainly for smoothies. The problem is that I like to use frozen berries in my smoothies, which unfortunately killed my cheapo blender in under a month. So right now I'm looking for a new one and from what I've read it sounds like the Bamix is the best, but it's also by far the most expensive. Do I really need to go for something like that or will a less expensive brand/model suffice? I don't really make blended soups, sauces, or anything else like that, so I'm primarily getting it for the smoothies. Although if I did buy the Bamix deluxe model I could possibly use the small grinder attachment.

Recomnendations appreciated.

Edited by sheetz (log)

I own a cheapie immersion blender, a Bamix, and a cheapie blender. But of course I also love kitchen gadgets.

The Bamix is much more powerful than the cheap immersion blender, but it is over $100. The blender I have was very inexpensive and has a powerful motor, enough to crush ice cubes. You might be happier with that for smoothies. I'll check the brand and post back here later today.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

When we broke our Waring's blades making smoothies I looked into it and found out that frozen fruit is very hard on blender blades--far worse than ice--and ended up getting a Vita-Mix. It was really expensive--I think it was on sale for $250--but worth it. We call it our 'hippie blender' because it's so nice for things like tofu-making and grinding grains as well as smoothies and things.

I have a Bamix that I got at a junk store to replace a Cuisinart immersion blender that died, and, while it seems a lot more powerful than its predecessor, I don't think it's the best tool for smoothie-making.

I have a Bamix commercial wand blender, and it is fabulous. Makes the best mayonaise I've ever been able to make! For my marinara sauces (20 qts at a time) I use it to smooth out the texture, and it works outstandingly well!

Also own an ancient 1964 vintage Vita-Mix. Stainless steel container with a spigot. Been using it for almost 42 years to grind grain to make whole wheat bread, use it to crush ice cubes and make ice cream which I can serve right out of the spigot valve. Everything unscrews so you can clean it. I sent it in once back to the manufacturer for refurbishment sometime around the 1980's and they fixed it up like new, for $0. New gaskets, everything. Met the owner once at boutique show in Manhattan's Columbus Circle back in around 1981. Nice people.

Best two kitchen gadgets I own, in addition to my Kitchen Aid Commercial mixer with the meat grinder attachment. Grinds all types of meat, so I make my own hamburger and Italian sausage.

I'd go with the Bamix for your purpose. You'll find you'll use it for a lot more things than you thought once you see how it well it works. Cleans fast too!

doc

I looked into it and found out that frozen fruit is very hard on blender blades--far worse than ice

Further info?

I can't find it now, but three years ago when I was deciding if we should fix the Waring yet again or get a Vita-Mix I read that in a few places. I think one of the troubles is that the frozen fruit can get stuck under a blade, causing it to bend. One time our blades broke, and another time it just got bent in a way that made the blender unusable.

I own a cheapie immersion blender, a Bamix, and a cheapie blender.  But of course I also love kitchen gadgets.

The Bamix is much more powerful than the cheap immersion blender, but it is over $100.  The blender I have was very inexpensive and has a powerful motor, enough to crush ice cubes.  You might be happier with that for smoothies.  I'll check the brand and post back here later today.

It's an Oster 10-speed with ice crushing feature. Have to admit I have not tried frozen fruit in it.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

• 1 month later...
I've never been a big fan of kitchen gadgets, but I've recently enjoyed using my cheapo immersion blender, mainly for smoothies. The problem is that I like to use frozen berries in my smoothies, which unfortunately killed my cheapo blender in under a month. So right now I'm looking for a new one and from what I've read it sounds like the Bamix is the best, but it's also by far the most expensive. Do I really need to go for something like that or will a less expensive brand/model suffice? I don't really make blended soups, sauces, or anything else like that, so I'm primarily getting it for the smoothies. Although if I did buy the Bamix deluxe model I could possibly use the small grinder attachment.

Recomnendations appreciated.

I resisted a stick mixer for a long time, but I've used my Bamix a lot, and if it weren't for the frozen fruit, I'd recommend it without reservation. I don't do frozen fruit smoothies, so can't speak to that issue.

But .. it mixes peanut butter right in the jar. It makes great mayo practically instantly, right in the jar. It chops onions, garlic, celery beautifully in the little processor bowl. It's fame is whipped cream from non-fat milk, though I never use non-fat anything, so haven't tested that capability. I can't remember everything I've used it for, it's really very useful.

Easy to clean, and I don't regret the price.

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

Oh dear . . . I do love my Bamix. I am not an unbiased contributor.

The story goes that my cheap **s blender gave up when I was into making chile sauce for some enchiladas. The new Kitchen Aid food processor did fine but I decided that it was time to loosen the purse strings and get a Bamix instead of a blender. I have never been happier with such a decision. My son, when he moved out, (finally) took the cheapo stick blender with him since he used it for his disgusting protein shakes. Now I have this new toy. I love it. I use it instead of a Kitchen Aid mixer, that is hiding somewhere in the rented storage locker, to cream butter and sugar for cookies. I use it for soups. I whip cream. I love the darn thing.

One failing . . . After a flurry of pickling jalepenos with carrots and cauliflower, I roasted the left over veggies with the intention of making a roasted vegetable soup. It was lovely, flavor-wise. But it did look like barf. I thought of taking a picture of it for the regrettable topic but didn't. Anyway, that is the only time it failed me. Maybe if I had kept at it, the soup would have been a smooth elixir. I dunno.

Anyway, I love my Bamix. Get one.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose