• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese culinary schools

goyatofu

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a structured chinese cooking school for professionals, in China or Hong Kong perhaps? There's Le Cordon Bleu for French cooking, and the CIA for America, what about Chinese cooking? I know of many cooking schools for non-professionals (read: housewives) in Hong Kong, but nothing for professionals.

Wouldn't it be nice if there is an institution like that in China so that more people around the world can learn about this wonderful cuisine? (which I think is the best).

That makes no sense. There has to be several major professional cooking schools in Hong Kong. Beijiing and singapore even.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It is not internationally acclaimed a la Cordon Bleu or CIA (anyway, let's be honest --- much of the culinary world does not accord Chinese food the same respect that is accorded French food, etc.) but the most recent edition of Saveur had an article about a fairly new and, it sounds, serious culinary school in Hong Kong. Perhaps someone can help out with info .... can't find my issue anywhere!

In her book Sichuan cookery, Fuchsia Dunlop says that she studied Chinese (okay, Sichuan ) cooking at the Sichuan Institute of Higher Cuisine in Chengdu.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

In her book Sichuan cookery, Fuchsia Dunlop says that she studied Chinese (okay, Sichuan ) cooking at the Sichuan Institute of Higher Cuisine in Chengdu.

This is strictly Sichuan. Barbara Tropp went there a year or two before she died and some of the recipes she learned there were printed in the June 2000 issue of Goumet. The ma-po tofu is the best version of this classic I have ever made.

Chinese cuisine is so regional that it would be hard, if not impossible, at this stage, to have a professional school devoted to the cuisines as a whole. Remember there was a huge hiatus during the Mao régime when fine food was virtually outlawed. Before and since Chinese chefs generally learn through the apprentice system as they did, and sometimes still do, in France. I recently heard of a gentleman being virtually thrown out of a restaurant in Taiwan for asking for the chef's recipe for tea-smoked duck. The chef said it was outrageous that someone should ask to be handed the recipe he had spent twenty years in perfecting.

Ruth Friedman

Which is the school that gives out the "High Class Technician" certification? Or is that something that only the Chinese government gives out itself? I saw this recently on Iron Chef, where the challenger was one of the few guys who had this certification.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 month later...

Hey all -- I am decent at Mandarin and am thinking of improving my language ability and then going to culinary school in Beijing. Does anyone know of any quality schools in Beijing of this sort? or have the contact information for some? or perhaps some good leads on where I might be able to find this information out. Thanks.

• 2 years later...

I'm looking to take some time off this winter to travel to China. I would love to spend some time intensively learning Chinese cuisine. I'm particularly interested in Szechuan, Beijing, Shanghai, or Cantonese style. I'm sure I'll only have time for one of them, and it really doesn't matter to me which one.

Anyways, has anyone had any experience learning how to cook in China? If so, words of advice of where to go to learn? Any local places or homestays where the host is willing to teach cooking? Or programs offered at some of the local culinary schools?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I am just curious:

What level of instructions are you looking for? Beginner? Intermediate? Advanced?

And do you want to learn home cooking dishes, or restaurant/banquet dishes?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I guess I'm at the beginner level. And I primarily interested in home-style dishes, though I would consider banquet-style food as well.

I'm primarily interested in learning technique, and am finding it difficult to find any places within the US to learn these skills and the ingredients.

Frankly, if someone was willing to just let me watch and learn off them, I'd be ecstatic. But since I don't know how to adopt a grandmother of my own to learn from, I'd be willing to do more structured learning at a school.

Take a look at my pictorial recipe postings:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=75962

They would get you a starting point. It might be hard to go cyber-learning when you get started since it may not be easy to ask questions and there is no "show it in front of me" kind of effect. As for the ingredients I would try to answer any question that may come up.

I think many places offer introductory Chinese cooking classes in the USA: either private or in adult schools/community colleges. Though I have never taken one myself (since I don't think I would need it), I tend to think they would be adequate for beginners. And jo-mel teaches these courses, she might be able to tell you some of her experiences. And if you live in New Jersey, you can probably take a class from her. (If you live in Sacramento, I can give you private tutoring! :wink: )

I don't produce videos. Just snap-shot pictures. If you want a continuous show from start to finish, then I found Martin Yan's "Yan Can Cook" is good for beginners (though I think from time to time he mixes in some Thai/Vietnamese or other Asian styles of cooking :raz: ). You can learn the basic techniques from watching that show. PBS I think carries his programs. Free.

These, you can do without leaving the United States. If you are looking to enrich your Chinese cooking techniques after you have practiced the basics, then I think you can maximize the benefits of your trip(s) to visit the country to further your culinary quests.

Many of the chefs who work in restaurants go through apprenticeship. They learn from the masters little by little through doing hard work in the kitchen.

Edit to add: P.S. Missed your profile saying "Union City, CA". A bit far from Sacramento... sorry :smile:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Listen Alycemoy, and I will tell you a story. A long time ago, there was this fellow who lived in an apartment over a fine French Restaurant. Although the fellow was well versed in the techniques and procedures of one style of cooking (he grew up in a Chinese restaurant kitchen), he wanted to learn the French way. Over a few months a well established aquaintanceship developed formed between the apartment dweller and the kitchen staff (and owner) of the restaurant. When the friendship was solid enough, the fellow started dropping hints as to whether he could "help out" in the kitchen. Everyone thought that was a great idea. So, for about a year, he spent a couple of hours a day in that kitchen observing and learning and helping. They even paid in meals. The apartment dweller was MOI.

Take what you can and will from my fable, but the point is "go get greasy".

PS: I totally agree with Ah leung's point that most Chinese chefs come up through long arduous apprenticeships...learning techniques more than recipes.

Edited by Ben Hong (log)

alecymoy, to answer your original question:

I assume you're asking about English-language training. I'm not aware of anything being offered in China. The 2 places that I know do professional English-language training for Chinese cooking are in Singapore and Hong Kong.

Singapore: http://www.at-sunrice.com/main_idx.html

Hong Kong: http://cookforfun.shawguides.com/Chopstick...880521π=7&q=1 (the school doesn't have a webpage, e-mail the address shown on this page for some confusing handouts.)

I haven't attended either and don't know much about them beyond what's on the net. Buyer beware. Insist on talking to a few past students before signing up...

There is also a bilingual (English/Cantonese) program offered by VCC, a vocational college in Vancouver. I don't know about their Asian Culinary program, but I've sat in on some classes of their regular Culinary Arts program, and also cooked with some graduates, and was generally impressed. Details here: http://www.vcc.ca/programs/detail.cfm?WPGM...GM_PROGRAM_ID=8

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

The California Culinary Institute might be a start.  They may have leads.

I assume you mean California Culinary Academy? I'm not sure about that... I think they just teach the Cordon Bleu program.

Of the major US culinary schools, the only one I know of that offers scheduled Asian classes is ICE (formerly Peter Kump's) in New York, and that's just a recreational one-week program. Details here:

http://www.iceculinary.com/recreational/asian.shtml

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Check out the cookbook Land of Plenty by Fuschia Dunlop. It contains recipes and some anecdotes from her experience at the Sichuan culinary school which I believe is in Chengdu. I've heard from several sources that this school is worthwhile, though winter in Chengdu could be a challenge (as with most of the rest of China).

Edited by reachej (log)

alecymoy, check out the cooking section at sfgate.com. You'll probably have the archive to find an article about the adopt-a-grandmom program. I believe you have to contact them and let them know what you're looking for (cuisine wise) and the staff will try to match you up with a grandmom for some cooking lessons.

Check out the cookbook Land of Plenty by Fuschia Dunlop.  It contains recipes and some anecdotes from her experience at the Sichuan culinary school which I believe is in Chengdu.    I've heard from several sources that this school is worthwhile, though winter in Chengdu could be a challenge (as with most of the rest of China).

The school Fuschia Dunlop attended in Chengdu is called the Sichuan Institute of Higher Cuisine. Link here: http://www.shic.edu.cn/shic/newsite/index.asp As far as I know, other than the odd day class run through tour operators, they teach in Mandarin; and I've never heard of any foreigner other than Fuschia (who is fluent in Mandarin) attending there.

Her cookbook is excellent.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 2 months later...

Hi there are several good schools and ways of learning the cutting and culinary skills of the Chinese cuisine.

We normally take people to several schools in China where they stay for a month or so.

Most interesting are the Sichuan, Vegetarian and Cantonese cuisines, but there are great mixed cuisines in Yunnan province where many people from different ethnic backgrounds live and almost everything you can imagine is grown there.

So if you want we can provide you with a set up in a School in Sichuan for example.

Hi i am living in China for the last 13 years and have a travel company among others specialized in culinary travels in China.

Was just wondering what the interest is like within this board and what people want to get out of the Chinese cuisine.

We place professionals and food lovers with several culinary schools in China representing the main 5 cuisines. We also place people in like buddhist vegetarian restaurants or other for day courses.

We are a responsible company and do this because I love the Chinese ktchen in all its aspects and believe that many people are misinformed about it. This because there are basically just 2 types of Chinese cooking available outside China.

But there is so much more like the Muslim cuisine, Hunanese or Dai and Guizhou cuisines. Also presently China is on the move and so is its agricultural and cooking culture. Fusion for example can be found everywhere now and with the creativity and cutting skills of the Chinese these can make great impact if they would be served in "the West".

Looking forward hearing your comments!

he main 5 cuisines

What are they? Most authorities accept a minimum of 8.

eight cuisines sounds a bit strange. I normally take the four main branches according to the points of a compass as a given:

1) Southern/guangdong/hong kong

2) Western/sichuanese

3) Eastern/shanghainese/jiangsu etc.

4) Northern/beijing (you could probably split Northern into Imperial cuisine vs. Northern cuisine in general which would get you to five.)

Of course there are regional variations ad infinitum e.g. Hunan vs. Sichuan, Shandong vs. Beijing, Muslim, Yunan etc. which would probably get you north of eight. However I would not regard these as major branches of classical Chinese cuisine.

This because there are basically just 2 types of Chinese cooking available outside China.

?

xiao liu, I would assume hao pengyou is referring to hong kong cuisine and either sichuanese or taiwanese, which I understand are the two schools of cooking most common in the US. In the UK the choice is even more restricted to just one - Hong Kong - for historical reasons.

regards

J

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

[...]xiao liu, I would assume hao pengyou is referring to hong kong cuisine and either sichuanese or taiwanese, which I understand are the two schools of cooking most common in the US.[...]

Taiwanese isn't so common here. I'm tempted to say Shanghainese, but Cantonese (or "Cantonese"-American) is way more common.

Michael aka "Pan"

Hunan food not a major style?

There are probably more Hunan restaurants here than any other kind. And it is not some variation on Sichuan food. It is very different.

Also, very popular in the US.

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3382

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto