• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any one tried the sushi sold at Loblaws?

AshleyW

Every time I do grocery at Loblaws, I have to pass through the sushi kiosk at the entrance. They have a sign "Made Fresh Daily" and I intrepret that the sushi there is made every day on site.

I wonder if you have tried them. If so, what is your rating?

Some stores seem to make them, others are brought in.

Depending upon one's standards they would be either entirely unacceptable [raises hand] or kind of not too bad but not good either.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Most of them are made in a little shop on Queen East, just by the bridge over the Bayview extension( or at least they used to be. I would see them rolling away when I went by in the am.) Some of the bigger Loblaws make their own but not all.

It's not bad but no great shakes. Like Charlotte said, ok for a snack but you are much better off going to a good restaurant if you want the good stuff.

Most of them are made in a little shop on Queen East, just by the bridge over the Bayview extension( or at least they used to be. I would see them rolling away when I went by in the am.) Some of the bigger Loblaws make their own but not all.

It's not bad but no great shakes. Like Charlotte said, ok for a snack but you are much better off going to a good restaurant if you want the good stuff.

My big box club store used to make them on site. They were OK but used imitation crab and farmed salmon. Loblaws and sobeys would use similar cost cutters.

But now the Box brings the sushi in from Quebec,at least a day old. And their dim sum or pot stickers come in frozen from Ottawa, though sold in a special kiosk.

Caveat emptor! :sad::sad:

I never found them offensive, and indeed they often served a purpose when I was in a rush and couldn't think of anything else I wanted for lunch. But I had real trouble justifying it on an economic basis. The cheap sushi places in Toronto will give you a sit down bento meal for the same price as buying 8 pieces of mediocre supermarket stuff. So really, what's the point?

It is mediocre. I don't hate it, but it isn't great either.

If there is someone making the sushi, buying the stuff that is newly made is OK. The stuff that has been sitting in the display cases for a while (the rice gets very hard), I find difficult to purchase even if I'm starving and have a craving for sushi.

Overall? 6/10. Not bad for a snack that isn't too bad for you. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it though...

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

It's usually not worth the price.

I'd rather get takeout from one of the sushi places on Queen or on Bloor.

Overall for me? I'd give it 5/10. If I'm starving, it's acceptable - only because I know it's fairly healthy, not because it tastes any good.

Hmmm, well good to know. I've also often walked past the counter and considered it, thinking "I bet that's not good sushi … but maybe I should try it anyway."

It probably depends where you are though. If I were in downtown Toronto I wouldn't buy it; if I were in Timmins or Thunder Bay it would probably look pretty good (apologies to anyone from Timmins or Thunder Bay - I assume that stellar sushi is not on offer there)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

The Sushi is tolerable if you get it in the morning, but by midday it is pretty hurting. The Canadian Superstores and some Loblaws make it on site. The Inari-sushi tends to fare the best. Avoid the brown rice rolls as they are a gummy mess.

Mark

You're certainly not going to get much in the way of selection, and I think this inherently comprimising to the sushi experience. After all, they need to sell to the sushi masses, and not to be disparaging, but probably to a group less knowledgable about sushi than folks in here.

Secondly, you can't help but not have the freshest ingredients. I'm sure they're careful, and it's safe, but that doesn't mean it will be at its peak. The rice itself does not keep so well in my opinion.

Last, temperature. I'm not sure how others feel, but because I make and eat my sushi a la minute (and then make more - piggy needs more ...), I get nice warm rice and cool but not cold sashimi. If suhsi's like most other foods, the flavours are just nicer when not chilled too much. They have to keep it refrigerated for freshness, but I don't think this helps the final product.

Hey, I'm a rookie - I love sushi, did the class at GBC, but I'm no gourmand. Just my two cents.

from the hinterlands of Thunder Bay...we actually do have some pretty good sushi here! If anyone's in town (yes, people sometimes come here, it's not all one-way migration to Toronto!) make sure to check out the "Sushi Bowl" - it's a combo sushi-Vietnamese-Korean place with a nice variety of rolls and sashimi, as well as some interesting V&K dishes.

No, it's not Chinatown in TO, but it's a damn sight better than the stuff at the supermarket!

(getting off regional soapbox now)

Actually Presto, I lived in TBay (each of Port Arthur and Ft. William) for a while, and I think there's a lot to be said for it. Though I have to admit, if I were back for one night I'd probably eat at the Hoito rather than sushi. But hey to each their own :)

I finally tried the sushi at Loblaws. I went to Hull/Gatineau for shopping last week and also did my grocery at the Loblaws store there. I bought a box of Futomaki for myself to try out. I asked the lady at the kiosk to make a fresh one for me. She asked me to come back in 5 minutes. I ate the sushi in the small eating area immediately and found the sushi pretty fresh and tasty. I will give a rating of 7.8 out of 10 for the one I tried out. It is convenient for a quick lunch.