• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yu- Shiang eggplant

lemoncoke

I love yu-shiang eggplant when I go out for chinese food. It seems pretty simple, but I have no idea how to make the sauce, and specifics.

Does anyone have a good recipe for that?

If hzrt8w could do one of his great pictorials, that would be fabulous!! :biggrin:

If hzrt8w could do one of his great pictorials, that would be fabulous!! :biggrin:

Nice phishing! :biggrin:

Thanks for your kind words. But... no bite. Not yet. :laugh:

This dish is quite common in Sichuan style restaurants. Even many Cantonese restaurants offer it now.

You may find "yu shiang" (or "fish-fragrant") recipes in many books in print for Chinese cooking, such as "Land of Plenty" by our beloved Fuchsia. Page 196: "Fish-Fragrant Pork Slivers". Mix it with eggplants. Or simply use eggplants.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Thanks very much for your comment Ah Leung!

Actually I have to say that my recipe for fish-fragrant aubergines/eggplants is my favourite in the book, and the one that I cook most often for my friends (everyone seems to love it). It's a really cheap, common, everyday Sichuanese dish, but fantastically delicious. My mouth is watering now, just thinking about it - perhaps I'd better go and make some!

Fuchsia

I had this recently deep in the middle of nowhere in Zhejiang, the only very big difference was that instead of using pork with the eggplant they included some onions (to add some natural sweetness) and some sliced squid. It was actually quite a delicious version. I usually like ordering this dish when I need to invoke some 'sweet' into a meal that would normally avoid it.. and yuxiang eggplant seems to usually agree with almost everyone. Dishes like these are particularly interesting because they have been adopted and modified all across china (and the world i suppose). So each region or even restaurant will have a different interpretation of what to do with it.