• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast drinks

Kent Wang

What drinks are considered common for breakfast? Of course mimosa, bloody Mary and screwdriver, but how about the White Russian? It is milk-based, so why not?

A shot of bourbon would be considered, to some, as a "morning drink" but they might have a probelm. The Ramos Gin Fizz was considered a breakfast / brunch drink.

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

Well, the original cocktails were all probably considered morning drinks in their time. It was a stiff drink to start your day and a little dash of "medicine" (bitters) to help with the consequences of the previous days' drinking.

As far as I'm concerned, the mimosa, bloody mary and screwdriver, despite being ubiquitous, are lousy drinks at any time of day. My favorite breakfast drinks are closely affiliated with New Orleans:

- Milk Punch

- Ramos Gin Fizz

- Absinthe Suissesse

I guess I'd put Bellinis in the same category as mimosas as a breakfast drink.

(Or for an alternative approach, my sister, in a comparison of Orkney malts, described Scapa thusly: "It's a good breakfast Scotch.")

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread - I need a cocktail I can easily serve at a brunch for about 30 people. No one is remotely going to appreciate a Ramos Gin Fizz and frankly, I don't think I'm going to have that kind of energy. But since I'm in charge of cocktails there's no way we're doing mimosas. Thoughts on a French 75? Can I batch the gin/lemon/simple part?

Yes you can batch the gin/lemon/simple, just remember it should be really sweet because the champers is going to dry it out more than you would think.

Something like

1oz Gin

3/4 Lemon

1 oz Simple syrup 1x1

Top with 4-5 oz bubbily.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

After Violet Hour, when can you open Breakfast at Toby's?

For those in or near NYC, the White Russian infused Rice Crispies now on Eben Freeman's Solid Cocktails plate at Tailor was truly delicious. Reminds me of how much I enjoy that last spoon of cereal, when the milk is so well flavored.

Edited by eas (log)

The white russian on Eban's solids menu was my favorite. And they were all really wonderful. I am not sure how much of it you would like to consume. I think that the joy of fog lifters is the ease with which they go down.

Breakfast at Toby's starts with coffee before cocktails.

EDIT: I forgot to add a twist of lemon on the above french 75. A dash or two of bitters wouldn't hurt as well.

Edited by Alchemist (log)

Bumping this thread - I need a cocktail I can easily serve at a brunch for about 30 people.  No one is remotely going to appreciate a Ramos Gin Fizz and frankly, I don't think I'm going to have that kind of energy.  But since I'm in charge of cocktails there's no way we're doing mimosas.  Thoughts on a French 75?  Can I batch the gin/lemon/simple part?

But what about making a good mimosa, properly measured and with triple sec. See this thread for some comments on that. People who aren't used to good drinks might still appreciate a well-made familiar drink--kind of like making a decent Magarita for someone to lure them into appreciating the cocktail craft.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I agree about the Mimosa -- it can be an excellent drink when made well. Blood oranges are great for Mimosas if you can find them; not only do they add a bit more depth, but they make a beautiful drink as well.

I agree that the mimosa can be a quality morning beverage. But it seems that daisy17 wants something a bit more ambitious. How about a Corps reviver #2. For a group.

2 cups Plymouth gin.

3/4 cup lemon juice

3/4 cup orange curacao

3/4 cup Lillet blond

1/8 cup simple (1x1)

2 oz anisette

shake serve up. Garnish with twist of lemon or orange.

REMEMBER: Four taken in quick sucussion will re-inter the corpse.

Toby

Thanks for all the ideas!

I agree that the mimosa can be a quality morning beverage.  But it seems that daisy17 wants something a bit more ambitious. 

She does, but she also needs to be able to lug all this stuff to Brooklyn AND pull it off with her meticulously honed cocktail-crafting skills. Corpse Revivers over French 75s? Also, if there's a way to make a respectable mimosa (or riff on one) that isn't reminiscent of one that might come free with a plate of pancakes at a diner then I'm open to it.

On the schleping issue: If you batch the Corpse Reviver #2 at home, and then bring it to Bklyn. finished it will be less to carry than mimosa fixins' (champagne bottles are bloody HEAVY or French 75's. You could bring along a bottle or two of champers, and a little simple and make Corpse Reviver Royals. Just add a little sweetness to the Corpse and then top with the bubbly.

Then on the cocktail shaking issue. Just briing along a set of shakers and a Hawthorn strainer. Make sure they have a good amount of ice, and you are set to go.

Toby

• Like 1

Not to disagree with the master here, but IME, a drink like the C.R.#2 is somewhat dependent on quality of shake and ice for its tastiness, wouldn't you say? (I made a few last night for guests using 2"x2"x4" chunks, and it was a revelation.) A French 75 might be easier... *especially* if daisy can convince other folks to tote along the champagne. After all, you can bottle the gin, lemon, and simple, drop some ice in and give it a hard shake or two (no, not *that* hard shake!) and it's good to go into glasses.

Even better might be to substitute in some grenadine for the simple in your French 75. You would then have a Gin Daisy Variant :wink: , but with champagne instead of soda.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Peach White Sangria, as I make my slowly beyond the Absolute and Cranberry

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 8 months later...
The white russian on Eban's solids menu was my favorite. 

I'm bumping this for a kind of embarrassing reason. I've never made a white russian. I kind of skipped over most vodka drinks when I started getting into cocktails. But as time goes by the respect for this drink seems to ooze out of the pores of even the most erudite cocktalians, and I've thought I should go back and revisit this adolescent introduction to drinking.

So I tried to look up a recipe for proportions, and that's where I got stopped. I don't exaggerate: there are no two published recipes that are the same, or even really similar. I've seen it listed as an equal parts drink, a 3:2:1, and almost no recipes give any more info for the cream other than "top off w/cream".

I figure it's a mix-to-taste deal.

Also, I see that a lot of recipes call for building the drink in a rocks glass and floating the cream on top. Seems like you'd be drinking cream for five minutes and then the drink would change into a black russian at the bottom.

I've seen suggestions for using vanilla vodka, Goldschlagger, etc to add flavors to the drink. Some of these sound pretty good.

Can I ask y'all for your takes on this drink?

When I make them I tend to just toss them together. Usually twice as much vodka as Kahlua (I actually prefer Tia Maria), then the quantity of cream depends on how heavy it is (less for a very heavy cream and more for a light one). But I guess cream usually roughly equals the Kahlua.

So that would be 2:1:1.

I always give it a quick stir in the glass before drinking.