• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mint: Uses & Storage

tommy

Gobs and gobs of chimmichurri with mint. Freeze it and you'll have a wonderful condiment for your lamb, pork, chicken and beef roasts and steaks.

If you have English ancestry, and I believe you do, you can put it in everything. It is good with potatoes, carrots and peas, it is delicious as tea, mint sauce, ice cream, and mojitos. I like it chopped in salad, in tabouli, on tomatoes with a little olive oil salt and lemon juice. um... almost everywhere. I do not know how to preserve it though.

Wash, puree, freeze in 1T icecubes or blobs. When frozen, put the frozen lumps in your preferred container for long term storage.

Add a lump when making lemonade.

I have to try that salad recipe. I have only a little mint, but an entire bottle of black vinegar that needs a purpose in life now that its job as a guest's reminder of home is done.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Mint chutney? Uses a LOT of mint, and hardly worth the labor of cleaning the food processor in small quantities. Almost any Indian cookbook has a recipe for it, and there are plenty on line as well. Fantastic with Indian vegetable dishes or with lamb. I can't locate the recipe I used to make, but I always loved it with cauliflower or potato curries. Freezes well in modest sized portions.

Thanks for all the terrific ideas, y'all. I'm for sure gonna make some mint chutney tonight. Eldereno: I've got outta control lemon balm too. Maybe we could extend this topic to include lemon balm ideas.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

My CSA is overloading me with mint and basil as well. Im going the mojito route with most of it :laugh:

I made the lamb meatballs from Keller's Ad Hoc last night and they were delicious, so if you have that book give them a try, they are easy and fantastic and will help you get rid of a little more mint.

Thanks for the mint chutney recipe. Will give that a whirl soon. Once you make the mint syrup you can make instant mojitos of whatever flavor you want. I made strawberry ones last weekend and they were delicious! Rum +mint syrup +fresh lime juice +fruit of your choice +a few ice cubes buzzed up in the blender and you're done. Best Big Girl Smoothies ever!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

try adding a hand full of chopped mint sauteed greens like swiss chard, kale and spinach just before you pull them off the heat. It adds a whole new depth of flavor.

j

Can you eat that?