• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ordering in a Restaurant

rich

Recently I've taken to ordering "on the blind" in restaurants that don't offer a tasting menu or when I'm not in the mood for a tasting menu. And it has worked well every time to date.

I look at the menu and select two or three items from the appetizers and entrees. I then ask the server to select one of those choices for me, but don't tell. I want to be surprised.

It creates a little excitement and gives an opportunity for the server to be a little creative - seems they relish the empowerment.

What's very interesting - the servers rarely pick the most expensive item. The last time I tried this was at Craft and both the appetizer and entree that showed up were the least expensive of my choices.

Restaurants are always attempting to make the dining experience more exciting, so why can't patrons? I think this is a great way to dine.

Does anyone do the same?

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I've done this at several restaurants that I have frequented regularly, but not at establishments I'm eating at while on the road: constant hopping on/off RJs means that potential food poisoning has to be avoided at all costs.

Anyway, when I've done it, I'll either do what you do, let them choose based on the wine that I choose, or go fully blind. In the latter case, I've been asked if I'm willing to try new plates that the kitchen is developing. I find that it's always an interesting experience and there are very few duds coming to table.

rich, I've been doing this for as long as I can remember! I, too, have never been brought a meal of the most expensive items, and have honestly not been disappointed.

I always tell the server, "this is not a trick!" and they seem to appreciate that, too.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I can't say that I've ever ordered blind. I do normally narrow my choices down to two items and go with the waiter's recommendation.

When I'm reviewing restaurants, it's a good way to test the staff. The one thing I won't tolerate at a good restaurant is a staff that doesn't know the food.

Edited by TAPrice (log)

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I can't say that I've ever ordered blind. I do normally narrow my choices down to two items and go with the waiter's recommendation.

When I'm reviewing restaurants, it's a good way to test the staff. The one thing I won't tolerate at a good restaurant is a staff that doesn't know the food.

Ditto for me! I do the exact same thing ,and rarely order blind. As a reviewrer, I always ask for recommendations from the server and I expect the staff to know the food and how it's prepared, even at a diner.

I'd be reluctant to order blind because there are certain things that I don't want to eat. For example, bell peppers are no good for me.

You could and should let the staff know any parameters that you have to help guide them. I haven't ordered in the way you describe, Rich, but I will try it. I do like tasting menus and even "surprise" tasting menus.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I should add it encourages dinner conversation as well. When I did it as part of a six-top, the whole table began to guess what I would be served. Most of the time it's the least picked item(s). I don't know why that is, but it appears to work out that way. And I almost never guess correctly.

Pan - most dishes list everything that comes with the order. So just eliminate the "contraband" items from the choices you give the server.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

• 6 months later...

The only thing about that is that it is important for the waiter/captain to be able to communicate with the chef WHAT you like in order to give you a nice tasting menu. not to mention (even in really nice places) the captains don't neccessarily have the best taste or even have tasted some items, particularly specials. a la carte is a different thing...then no big deal I guess. its strange that they wouldnt just give you the most expensive one since their tip is based on #s.

M

NYC

"Get mad at them eggs!"

in Cool Hand Luke

We have something like this where I work. All the dishes are splt up inot 2-3 courses. One of the courses is "imprompuu." This is designed for people who can actually build their own dish. Or lets us exercise some creative freedom. the only stipulation is that its vegetarian. This cuts the cost down, so we dont do a foie, oyster, kobe plate. At first I wasnt happy with having to come up with 4 garnitures on the fly ( they can never be repeated as well) up to 10 times a night, but now I relish the task. Sometimes people will even say they want only mushrooms of broccoli. This makes it more interesting because we have to come up with four seperate representations of the same product.

At first I wasnt happy with having to come up with 4 garnitures on the fly ( they can never be repeated as well) up to 10 times a night, but now I relish the task.  Sometimes people will even say they want only mushrooms of broccoli. This makes it more interesting because we have to come up with four seperate representations of the same product.

That sounds kind of like a mini-Iron Chef round. Without the Iron Chef. You know what I mean?

• 3 weeks later...

in the restaurants i've worked in there is always a consensus among the staff about what the best dishes on the menu are. and if you ask us to bring them to you blind we would of course be happy, knowing that you will mostly likely love them as well. you might have to accept one item being the most expensive on the list, but if the app, entree (and some people ask for waitstaff's favorite wine as well) and dessert are each the most expensive you should be suspicious and not leave a huge gratuity. a thinking waiter will appreciate this fact and be smart enough to not do that to you.

you just can't be someone who has to have a low salt intake, doesn't take well to butter, can't stand the smell of brussels sprouts, etc. :)

as a waiter i almost ALWAYS ask my waiter to tell me about or just bring his absolute favorite dishes. they know more than any reviewer. ;D

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

Yeah, I was a waiter for a long time as well and would almost never give a guest the most expensive thing on the menu. Often, it's not even the best. Also, I would rather ensure that the guest have a great experience and return multiple times, become my regular customers and, by that exptension, tip me repeatedly and generously rather than a nice one-off tip cause I inflated the bill.

In most good restaurants the staff has tasted everything on the menu, probably including a nightly special tasting, so they are hopefully able to steer you into something you like.

I've had more than a few people ask me to take total control of their evenings, from wine to food, etc. The only question I will ask if if they absolutely cannot/will not eat certain items, and I can't remember a time when I purposefully gouged a guest to up the bill.