• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter and Chocolate...

Caroline923

Reeses surely does not have the corner on the market!  What are your most decadent dessert creations using these two ingredients?  Cakes, pies, bars, cookies, mousses, bring it on!!!

Truffles.....

thats all i can think of just using peanut butter and chocolate... but even then you would need cream.... bleh! Snickers!! with no carmel!

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

Peanut butter ice cream, with chopped Lindt bittersweet chocolate mixed in. Incredibly rich, like Reese's on steroids. Kitchen Chick's husband, eG'er jmsaul, made it, sans chocolate, for the recent Heartland Gathering. Unfortunately I had to back out of attending at the last minute, so I made a batch of the ice cream a few days later, in tribute. Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Peanut butter ice cream, with chopped Lindt bittersweet chocolate mixed in. Incredibly rich, like Reese's on steroids. Kitchen Chick's husband jmsaul made it, sans chocolate, for the recent Heartland Gathering. Unfortunately I had to back out of attending at the last minute, so I made a batch of the ice cream a few days later, in tribute.

Sounds yummy....I really enjoyed the reverse, peanut butter swirled into good chocolate ice cream....some banana and caramel mixed in is even better. :wub:

I have a recipe for a frozen chocolate dessert that's sort of a cross between a mousse, a cheesecake and an ice cream. Sometimes, depending on whom I'm making it for, I've crushed up roasted, salted peanuts and added them to the crust (chocolate crumb crust) and then added chopped up Reese's peanut butter cups to the filling.

I also make peanut butter truffles at Christmas. Like Reese's, but with much better chocolate.

I have a recipe for a frozen chocolate dessert that's sort of a cross between a mousse, a cheesecake and an ice cream. Sometimes, depending on whom I'm making it for, I've crushed up roasted, salted peanuts and added them to the crust (chocolate crumb crust) and then added chopped up Reese's peanut butter cups to the filling.

I also make peanut butter truffles at Christmas. Like Reese's, but with much better chocolate.

Would you share recipe for the mousse/cheesecake concoction????

Would you be willing to share your recipe for peanut butter truffle recipe? I've tried a couple of times to recreate it but the texture was always a bit off.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

In her cookbook Sugar, Anna Olson has a recipe for a chocolate peanut-butter 'cup'. I only made it once - but recall that it had a chocolate crust that I baked in muffin tins, then filled with a peanut butter/whipped cream (and maybe cream cheese?) filling - and topped with a chocolate ganache. It was good. We called them Reiss's peanut butter cups. I should find that book.

I remember when I made this Peanut Butter mousse cake recipe all the time when it was first printed (6 years ago?) because it was easy and my siblings loved it. I remember once making 2 of these "cakes" (more like a refrigerator pie) so they could each have one and wouldn't fight over who got more. :smile: It's a no-bake recipe too...super simple.

John,

I have found that in order to recreate that Reese's experience one must use what I call trashy peanut butter. Smooth Safeway brand in fact has given me the closest results. I think Jiffy may come close because of it's sweetness.

I had a request and kept trying to match the flavor with natural peanut butter, I should have known better.

So, my best result came from a very Swiss tasting milk chocolate and safeway pb.

John,

I have found that in order to recreate that Reese's experience one must use what I call trashy peanut butter.  Smooth Safeway brand in fact has given me the closest results.  I think Jiffy may come close because of it's sweetness. 

I had a request and kept trying to match the flavor with natural peanut butter, I should have known better.

So, my best result came from a very Swiss tasting milk chocolate and safeway pb.

Thanks for your help, Trishiad. I thought that might be the case.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I use one part 118 degree fondant to two parts peanut butter. Mix as little as necessary or it goes crumbly.

This is as close to reese center as it gets.

I sandwich it between two graham crackers and dip in milk chocolate to imitate the treats my friend brought back from Disney for me to reverse engineer. It is even better with an additional layer of chewy caramel, sandwiched between club crackers.

Also make it into chunks and bake in nice moist chocolate brownies.

John,

I have found that in order to recreate that Reese's experience one must use what I call trashy peanut butter.  Smooth Safeway brand in fact has given me the closest results.  I think Jiffy may come close because of it's sweetness. 

Thanks for your help, Trishiad. I thought that might be the case.

I use Jif Extra Crunchy and powdered sugar -- I like the texture, and although it's a little bit sweet for my taste, I dip my truffles in bittersweet chocolate, so that tempers the sweetness enough. Trishiad is correct that "natural" peanut butters just don't work as well, but I think it's more of a texture issue (they produce grainy centers, in my experience). I tried Skippy one year, because Cook's Illustrated rated it the best processed peanut butter, and I had to throw the batch out and start over with Jif -- Skippy resulted in unacceptably sweet centers that wouldn't set.

I remember when I made this Peanut Butter mousse cake recipe all the time when it was first printed (6 years ago?) because it was easy and my siblings loved it. I remember once making 2 of these "cakes" (more like a refrigerator pie) so they could each have one and wouldn't fight over who got more.  :smile: It's a no-bake recipe too...super simple.

Love this recipe too - !!

There's a recipe for a peanut butter mousse tart in RLB pie and pastry bible.  It uses peanut butter cookie dough for the crust, a cream cheese-peanut butter mousse for the middle and it's topped with ganache.  It's very good.

Sandra

I use this filling in a chocolate pate sucree tart shell (either RLB's or Sherry Yard's recipe). I also use the choc tart shell spread with straight (creamy) peanut butter and top that with a ganache. A few chopped peanuts around the edge and you're done!

Don't overthink it. Take any favorite peanut butter cookie recipe and stick a Hershey's Kiss (or your favortie chocolate piece) on the cookie as soon as it comes out of the oven. No need to temper it. It's makes ugly, but super good cookies. Good to do with the kids as well.

A side note, M&Ms work as well, but they have to be mixed in before baking, as the candy coating does not go anywhere. If you get these still warm from the oven, the little bursts of melted chocolate in each bite are sublime.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I have to second this. I made this cheesecake this week and it is amazing and so good. The only thing I did (it was gilding the lily, I admit) was to melt about 1/2 c. peanut butter in the microwave and swirl it through the cheesecake before cooking. I ended up with pure nuggets of PB throughout the cheesecake :wub:! Abso-freakin-lutely incredible.

I also make a really good Reeses Cup Fudge and if you want to go classic, I have a (thanks to egulleteers) perfected recipe for Peanut Butter Cookies that you can cook, top with a 'kiss' and then when the kiss melts, you smear it around - that way you get a taste of chocolate and PB together with each bite - not as pretty as leaving the kiss intact, but it tastes better :wink:!