• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fettucine al caviale e ricotta

I'm posting this recipe here for the benefit of cabrales (the egg connection) and others who may be interested. This is a rich dish, and not something I make very often, but it's worth the effort and expense. The original version of this dish was at One Magnificent Mile, a restaurant in Chicago, where it was made with black and yellow fettucine, and accompanied by beluga caviar.

The recipe comes from "Lorenza's Pasta" by Lorenza De'Medici (yes, THAT family) (1996, Clarkson Potter, page 111).

1 scant c. fresh ricotta cheese

1 T. vodka

1/2 c. double heavy cream

Salt

1 quantity fresh egg pasta, cut into either fettucine or taglierini

4 T. black caviar

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Combine the ricotta and vodka and keep warm in a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Heat the cream in a pan and add a little salt. Add salt and the fettucine to the boiling water and cook until the water comes back to the boil and the fettucine float to the top. Drain and toss with the cream in a warmed serving dish. Sprinkle with the ricotta mixture and the caviar, and serve immediately.

Serves 4.

SA

SA70, nice recipe. Do you make your own pasta? If so, do you roll and cut it by hand, or do you use a machine? What purpose is served by the vodka in this recipe? Did you find it to be a meaningful ingredient?

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

I very rarely make my own pasta (when I do, I usually roll it out by hand). I'm thinking of getting a pasta machine but don't know where to begin or what model to get. I'm interested in the hand-cranked versions but am unsure as to the cost, best type/brand/model/make, or where to get the most reliable machines, so any advice would be appreciated.

Vodka serves primarily as a flavor enhancer, supposedly. I'm not really sure why its there -- although you'll note that the sauce is barely cooked, so the alcohol probably doesn't burn off as normal. Its like pasta with tomato and vodka sauce. I suppose there's a hint of flavor lent by the vodka in that sauce, but otherwise I don't get the point.

SA

Thanks, SA70. I'm both too stubborn and not smart enough to get a pasta machine, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. I'll be interested, though, to see if any recommendations turn up. Still, there's nothing better than egg pasta made entirely by hand.

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

Vodka serves primarily as a flavor enhancer, supposedly.  I'm not really sure why its there -- although you'll note that the sauce is barely cooked, so the alcohol probably doesn't burn off as normal.

Soba -- Agreed re: the lack of evaporation. In Poland & Russia, caviar is sometimes taken with a shot of vodka. Perhaps the inspiration for the dish was that pairing. :wink:

Hand cranked pasta makers can be bought quite cheaply and the strange thing is that making pasta is dead easy. Stupidly simple in fact. It is especially fun to make stuffed pasta ("pasti"?) and this is something that you can do with several people including kids. Recently I bought a "Chittarra" which is a box with lots of fine metal strings (hence "Guitar") for making pasta. This means that my wife can make the pasta sheets (she is better at this then me) with the pasta maker and I can cut the pasta into noodles at the same time. It is rather nice to be able to do this stuff together after coming bacj from work.

• 2 months later...
I very rarely make my own pasta (when I do, I usually roll it out by hand).  I'm thinking of getting a pasta machine but don't know where to begin or what model to get.  I'm interested in the hand-cranked versions but am unsure as to the cost, best type/brand/model/make, or where to get the most reliable machines, so any advice would be appreciated.

Two differenet brands of pasta machines account for almost all pasta machines sold in the U.S.: imperia and atlas. They are basically identical; get whichever one you can find cheaper. They come with attachments for cutting the sheets into different widths. I even have a ravioli attachment that actually works quite well but you have to practice a little. Pasta machines with a motor are a waste of time (how hard is it to crank the handle?) There are maches that make the dough, but these I think are worthless too. Making dough is so easy. Most books instruct you to do it on a table top (put the flour on the table, make a well in the center of it, add the eggs, and gradually incorporate the flour into the eggs), but I find it much easier and neater to do it in a large bowl. Good luck! Fresh pasta is the best.

Rory Bernstein Kerber

www.RoryKerber.com