• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fragolino

scordelia

it is an underground production.

I think the grape is called Clinton, and is not approved for wine making.

I can get it sometimes..and two shops in FLorence.

CAsa del Vino and Pitti Gola.

Look in Venice!

Look in Venice!

That is where I first had it a few years ago. I was hoping to find some in Rome this fall.

Also, here is the information on the grape that I found in the Winegrape Glossary:

ISABELLA:

Moderately cold-resistant American labruscana grape grown on limited acreages in New York state for use as a tablegrape and in varietal and sparkling wine blends. A selected "bud sport" cultivar is currently grown in California under the name Pierce (has synonym name Royal Isabella). Still grown in cooler regions of Italy and Australia, where it is named Fragola. A selection with the name Albany Surprise is now grown in New Zealand. Also found in eastern Europe under a variety of alias names, (such as Seksarda in Croatia, former province of Yugoslavia and as Izabella in Hungary and Georgia CIS). This historically significant variety has over fifty synonym names (see Geilweilerhof database in the Foreword section above) as a result of its post-phylloxera popularity in the late 19th century. Thought to be derived from a native Vitis Labrusca grape of N. America and an unknown european vinifera probably created by random pollination as a result of the 18th century attempts to establish European vines in the U.S. Reputedly discovered in Dorchester, N. Carolina around 1816 it was promoted by William R. Prince, an influential nursery owner established in Flushing, N.Y, and named after a famous "southern belle", the wife of Col. George Gibbs. Currently being selectively removed and replaced by varieties that lack the "grapey/foxy" taste and flavor of this grape although it still has its admirers. Modern winemaking techniques have succeeded in eradicating the agent responsible, resulting in a popular, strawberry/boysenbery-like flavored wine where those techniques are practiced. It is still grown in quantity in Brazil and other fungus prone regions of South America. An example of random hybridization involving only N. American vine species that resulted in a successful wine is the Norton grape. (See below).

Edited by scordelia (log)

S. Cue

This grape or a variant of it is also found in Austria in the states of Burgenland, in the south and Styria. It is usually made as a red wine and is called "Uhudler". I recall it as a full-bodied red wine, which is not so common in Austria, but I would like to try it again as I can't fully remember the taste. The wine is not very common and has a kind cult status for its admirers.

Uhudler Wine

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I had in it Fruili. A former roommate's father made it. It was delicious, but he explained to me that it is illegal. I felt like he was giving me moonshine. But, this was 11 years ago already.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

• 1 year later...