• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me plan tiny little desserts

kitchenmage

I'm throwing a a wine-tasting potluck appetizer/dinner party in a couple of weeks: four wines with 2-3 dishes per wine, then I'm doing dessert. I am providing guests tasting/food-pairing notes for a single wine and asking them to bring a food for that wine. I've also asked that it all be finger food since there will be ~20 of us beside the pond rather than a sitdown affair.

Dessert is where I could use help. I am a fearless and fairly skilled baker and am confident that I can figure out damned near anything given a decent recipe. I want to do a selection of small sweets, preferably showcasing goodies from my herb garden when possible. We will be serving coffee and tea with this, so there's no question of pairing with wine. Which is good, because that would be totally beyond me!

I also want to be able to do most of the work on desserts the day before--and earlier would be better. (I've got a huge freezer and a spare fridge.) I've got bread to make too and want to get that in the oven the morning of the party so won't have lots of pastry baking time that day, although I will have some assembly time.

Anyway, my thoughts run to something like:

macaroons -- never made them, but I'm brave. (I'm reading the huge macaroon thread) I'd love a tried and true recipe, tips, etc. Like what's up with smacking the tray of unbaked cookies on the counter? Can I make the cookies a day or two ahead and assemble them the day of the party? The night before? Got an incredible flavor combination? (okay so many of those are answered in the huge macaroon thread) If I use a bunch of egg whites in the macaroons, is there something clever to use the yolks in?

lavender shorbread -- I have a recipe I like and plan on freezing the cutout cookies and baking them off the night before.

some sort of truffle -- I've made truffles, but have never made chocolate with chile for some odd reason; this seems like it might be the time. Anyone got a great recipe? (Ling? Where is Ling? I'll just keep talking about dessert here, she'll show up...) Or maybe bark since it's easier...?

Maybe some chocolate-dipped dried fruit -- i've got a bunch of good dried apricots and 75% chocolate. or maybe the fruit goes in the bark...?

I'd love something in tiny muffin cups topped with a fresh blueberry since my bushes are covered with what should be quarter-sized berries... i vacillate between cupcakes and crustless cheesecake, or both because they really aren't at all alike -- when I'm not trying to figure out how to do a baby crème brulee -- but am open to ideas. Someone suggested panna cotta, but with my fingerfood requirement this seems harder...although i could make shooters, with a blueberry in the middle...

So... Other than telling me that I am crazy, what do you all think? Additions? Deletions? Substitutions? Thoughts about flavors, what I can make how early, etc?

I'd love something in tiny muffin cups topped with a fresh blueberry since my bushes are covered with what should be quarter-sized berries... i vacillate between cupcakes and crustless cheesecake, or both because they really aren't at all alike -- when I'm not trying to figure out how to do a baby crème brulee -- but am open to ideas. Someone suggested panna cotta, but with my fingerfood requirement this seems harder...although i could make shooters, with a blueberry in the middle...

If you make the macarons you could use the egg yolks to make lemon curd. The curd, maybe lighted with whipped cream, could be used fill tartles shells made in the mini-muffin tins. (One would probably have to fill them the same day, but maybe this wouldn't take too long with a pastry bag.) The blueberries could go on top as a garnish. When I use blueberries as a garnish I like to brush them with egg whties and roll in granulated sugar and let the sugar dry. Sometimes I use a combination of bare and sugared blueberries for contrast in looks and taste.

I've seen recipes for peach curd, which could be interesting, but I have never tried making one.

I've made macarons a few times and what worked for me was to to store them in an airtight container in the fridge a day before. Fill on the day they are to be eaten. I don't have *that* much experience making macarons though so I defer to the more detailed experience of others if you find or get it.

It will be fun to see what you wind up with and do try to take a photo of the desserts. I"m sure they'll look lovely.

edited to add: I've just been perusing Emily Luchetti's new dessert book which is devoted to ice cream desserts. She has a whole chapter entitled "fingers" for ice cream desserts that you can eat with your hands. These are mainly variations on ice cream sandwiches and she uses interesting combinations of cookies and homemade ice creams. If it is not a broiling day maybe this could work. Easy to do ahead of time anyway and it should also be easy to scale these down to one-bite treats.

Another very cool recipe she has involves making chocolate wafers by just melting chocolate and forming little 50-cent piece sized rounds. She places a round of chai ice cream between two of the 'wafers". She has meringue nests filled with raspberry sorbet. Another combo I'm drooling after is chocolate-coated cocoa nib florentines filled with orange ice cream and the outside edges covered w/pistachios! If the idea of frozen desserts appeal to you, you may want to check out this book!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I agree with ludja on the lemon tarts. I line my mini-muffin tins with sweet tart dough and when baked brush with melted white chocolate to help them stay crisp. I use Pierre Herme's lemon creme which is amazing and keeps in the fridge several days. You could have this all prepared and then just fill them the morning of or even right before hand. You need to stir the lemon creme and then load it into a piping bag. It makes quick work. I usually top mine with blueberries as well but I glaze them with melted apple jelly. The only thing with the apple jelly is, if you do them too far ahead the jelly still seeps into the crust and makes the top look cracked.

I'm not sure I'd try the macarons without having a back up plan. It's unlikely you'll have success on your first try, although you may be lucky. They do freeze well so you could try them ahead and freeze them or if they don't work out that would give you time to try something else.

Something I make that always gets rave reviews and is simple is tiny meringue cups filled with a bit of stiff whipped cream and topped with one berry. I've always used raspberries but it would also be good with a tart blueberry. This is in Gale Gand's "Just a Bite" but you don't need a recipe. Just make some meringue. Pipe little 1"circles and then go around the edges 2 more times to make little cups. Bake as normal to dry them out but keep them white. Just prior to serving, fill with cream and add a berry.

BTW, I'd be interested in your lavender shortbread recipe. I recently bought some food grade lavendar but haven't used it yet.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

(Ling? Where is Ling? I'll just keep talking about dessert here, she'll show up...)

Here I am... :laugh:

I second (third?) the idea of lemon tarts, and since you mentioned wanting to use up some of the herbs in your garden, you could infuse the curd with rosemary or sage. I tasted one this year that was served with a drizzle of vincotto and it was delicious. If you don't have vincotto, I would just top the mini tarts with a dollop of Italian meringue and some of your sugared blueberries.

I love ludja's idea of decorating with a mix of sugared and unsugared berries. She also mentioned Emily Luchetti's book--if you have A Passion for Ice-cream, I suggest the lemon ice-cream and gingerbread cookie sandwich recipe. The flavours work so well together!

I love dark chocolate with chilli and cinnamon. You could also infuse some of your ganache with the herbs from your garden. I recently had some pineapple mint-infused chocolates that were great! To go with your wine theme, you could also make molded chocolates with port or sherry in the middle.

When I think of wine, I think of desserts like fig and almond cream tartlets...simple, elegant desserts that take advantage of summer fruits, yet are perfect for a picnic.

If you do lavendar shortbread, you also do rosemary shortbread (again, herbs from your garden). :smile:

I don't think baby creme brulee would be very easy to transport...you couldn't do them in the muffin liners because they would be too fragile, I think.

I do like the idea of dark chocolate covered dried fruits, for anyone who is too stuffed for a bunch of desserts...or just as post-dessert nibbles.

If you want the Luchetti chai ice cream and chocolate wafer recipe, it's available online.

For the creme brulee (I think you should be able to do with with pots de creme too), you could serve them in Chinese porcelain spoons, as shown here.

Edited by miladyinsanity (log)

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

If you want the Luchetti chai ice cream and chocolate wafer recipe, it's available online.

Cool; thanks for the tip. Here's the link to the recipe: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Wow, thanks for all the ideas! You've provided a lot of food for thought; much to digest... :hmmm::shock::raz:

Lemon curd for the yolks. (smacks forehead) :huh: Of course! (I knew I was missing something obvious) Tartlets topped with a blueberry maybe...

The porcelain spoons of creme brulee are gorgeous. I wonder if I can turn up a couple dozen spoons...because otherwise, probably too fragile, like Ling says.

Do macarons freeze better unfilled or filled? I've got some time in the next couple of days to try them, but if they work, how do they store best? What type of fillings freeze are best if they are to be frozen? If they don't work, I can decide if I am close enough to try again or move on to something else.

I'm also thought about making a simple cookie, piping marshmallow on top and drizzling with chocolate--the adult version of (blanking on cookie name, but you probably remember them)

I'm off to scribble out a bunch of ideas, assess the pantry, look at my schedule (which suddenly has 4 events between here and my party, however that happened!) and then I'll be back with a proposed menu for your further thrashing.

oh yeah, CanadianBakin' I'll be back with the shortbread recipe too, but if you're impatient, grab your favorite shortbread recipe, toss ~2 tsp dry lavender buds (double that if it's fresh) in a cuisinart/grinder with half the sugar, proceed as usual. My recipe uses 8 oz butter, 9 oz flour, 3.5 oz sugar, and that much lavender--for reference on quantity)

I also have lavender sugar (1/4 c. fresh lav. buds and a quart jar of sugar; strain the buds out and toss them back in the jar when using) that I use for this to bump up the flavor.

Thanks everyone!

oh yeah, CanadianBakin' I'll be back with the shortbread recipe too, but if you're impatient, grab your favorite shortbread recipe, toss ~2 tsp dry lavender buds (double that if it's fresh) in a cuisinart/grinder with half the sugar, proceed as usual. My recipe uses 8 oz butter, 9 oz flour, 3.5 oz sugar, and that much lavender--for reference on quantity)

I also have lavender sugar (1/4 c. fresh lav. buds and a quart jar of sugar; strain the buds out and toss them back in the jar when using) that I use for this to bump up the flavor.

Thanks everyone!

This could be an obvious question, so forgive me, but nevertheless, where do you get the lavender? :biggrin:

I've always frozen macarons filled with ganache.

*drool*

I've not made macarons in awhile.... :wub:

Thanks everyone!

This could be an obvious question, so forgive me, but nevertheless, where do you get the lavender? :biggrin:

For the dry ones, try the spice shop, but some tea places will have them too.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

This could be an obvious question, so forgive me, but nevertheless, where do you get the lavender?  :biggrin:

I suppose it's unfair to say "my herb garden" which is the truth. I've also found it at tea and spice shops, bulk food sections, my health food co-op can order it. There are lavender farms all over the Pacific Northwet and if you are somewhere that has them, go there.

If you have access to a few English lavender plants (the straight ones without the extra wings on top, those are spanish), cut flower stems when they are just showing color but before the buds open. Tie a bundle with string, hang to dry, then gently strip off the buds. My pint bottle was full at the end of last summer and is now ~1/3 full, which is about right since I've given some away. For this batch of cookies, I'm hoping that my plants, which are in their second bloom, have a handful of fresh stems. btw, white lavender works in baking without leaving purple flecks if you can find it and care.

K8Memphis, I'm guessing you haven't had a lot of chances to cook with lavender. My favorite simpler-than-anything thing is tossing a teaspoonful of buds in with oven-roasted potatoes. swoon It was enough to banish the lavenderIsOnlySweet feeling forever.

This could be an obvious question, so forgive me, but nevertheless, where do you get the lavender?  :biggrin:

I suppose it's unfair to say "my herb garden" which is the truth. I've also found it at tea and spice shops, bulk food sections, my health food co-op can order it. There are lavender farms all over the Pacific Northwet and if you are somewhere that has them, go there.

If you have access to a few English lavender plants (the straight ones without the extra wings on top, those are spanish), cut flower stems when they are just showing color but before the buds open. Tie a bundle with string, hang to dry, then gently strip off the buds. My pint bottle was full at the end of last summer and is now ~1/3 full, which is about right since I've given some away. For this batch of cookies, I'm hoping that my plants, which are in their second bloom, have a handful of fresh stems. btw, white lavender works in baking without leaving purple flecks if you can find it and care.

K8Memphis, I'm guessing you haven't had a lot of chances to cook with lavender. My favorite simpler-than-anything thing is tossing a teaspoonful of buds in with oven-roasted potatoes. swoon It was enough to banish the lavenderIsOnlySweet feeling forever.

(edited to fix formatting)

Edited by kitchenmage (log)

Your party sounds tasty, ambitious and delightful kitchenmage. I'm only responding as an "end user" devourer of sweets. My baking skills pale in the shadows of those who've responded to you. I was wondering since lemon curd has been mentioned several times would you consider tartlets filled with different fruit curds and then topped with the corresponding fruit, i.e. raspberry curd tartlets topped with a raspberry? Are you determined to make your own curd from scratch or would you be open to purchasing a high quality pre-made one?

I've seen recipes for such curds Strawberry Curd Recipe as well as sites that sell pre-made fruit curds Elizabethan Preserves Company. The recipes that I've seen seem to be along the same lines as lemon curd except substituting strawberries, raspberries, etc. And the company link I provided is in England but I'm sure there must be gourmet/specialty stores where you live that would sell similar products. If you purchased them you could provide an array of curd filled tarts in different flavors. Just a thought. Good luck. I look forward to hearing how it turned out.

BTW, when will our invitations be arriving in the mail? :rolleyes::smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I've seen recipes for such curds Strawberry Curd Recipe

Interesting, for some reason I always think of citrus for curds. I'll have to see what sort of fruit I canlay my hands on.

BTW, when will our invitations be arriving in the mail? :rolleyes:  :smile:

Darn! Did yours get lost? :hmmm::blink::biggrin:

I just tried macarons for the first time and, while not perfect, I feel like I am close enough that I stand a chance of getting it right next time. I posted my attempt and questions over on the endlesslyLongMacaronThread if anyone wants to see.

I've seen recipes for such curds Strawberry Curd Recipe

Interesting, for some reason I always think of citrus for curds. I'll have to see what sort of fruit I canlay my hands on.

BTW, when will our invitations be arriving in the mail? :rolleyes:  :smile:

Darn! Did yours get lost? :hmmm::blink::biggrin:

I just tried macarons for the first time and, while not perfect, I feel like I am close enough that I stand a chance of getting it right next time. I posted my attempt and questions over on the endlesslyLongMacaronThread if anyone wants to see.

you could always try some financiers (parisian brown butter and almond petit fours). they're pretty simple to make and you can change the flavor or fruit garnish widely. you can bake them in mini muffin molds and they're delicious!

Edited by avid (log)

Here are some cookbooks with creative ideas on pairing herbs and dessert type dishes:

Claudia Fleming's "The Last Course"

Maybe also The Herbfarm Cookbook (by Traunfeld?). This book is not exclusively desserts but as I recall it has an interesting sweet section.

I've made a great summer dessert recipe with herbs inspired from a post by Abra a few years back. It is a cornmeal/polenta based cake soaked in a rosemary syrup and served with sugared blacberries. The flavor combination is very good. A direct translation for a mini-version of the recipe might be iindividual cornmeal cakes or muffins baked in mini-tins that are soaked with rosemary syrup after baking.. Maybe it would work to put a fresh blackberry in the center of each little cake.

Here's the original recipe: click

Another idea for a fun, individual dessert serving idea could be homemade marshmallows. I haven't tried them yet but there are a bunch of posts on eGullet reporting member's successful attempts. I think there are some good recipes about for strawberry marshmallows. Maybe these could be scented with lemon verbena or rose geranium if these are in your garden. Should work well being made completely ahead of time...

here is the thread on Homemade Marshmallows

you could always try some financiers (parisian brown butter and almond petit fours).  they're pretty simple to make and you can change the flavor or fruit garnish widely.  you can bake them in mini muffin molds and they're delicious!

Nice suggestions; pretty and delicious.

Welcome to Egullet, by the way, avid!

Edited by ludja (log)

I do tiny chocolate cups filled with mousse, small piped meringue kisses tinted pink with the bottoms dipped in chocolate, and tiny Canadian butter tarts with currants instead of raisins.

The best thing is to think about a mix color, textures, and shapes on the table

Here are some cookbooks with creative ideas on pairing herbs and dessert type dishes:

Claudia Fleming's "The Last Course"

Maybe also The Herbfarm Cookbook (by Traunfeld?).  This book is not exclusively desserts but as I recall it has an interesting sweet section.

I've made a great summer dessert recipe with herbs inspired from a post by Abra a few years back.  It is a cornmeal/polenta based cake soaked in a rosemary syrup and served with sugared blacberries.  The flavor combination is very good.  A direct translation for a mini-version of the recipe might be iindividual cornmeal cakes or muffins baked in mini-tins that are soaked with rosemary syrup after baking..  Maybe it would work to put a fresh blackberry in the center of each little cake.

Here's the original recipe: click

Another idea for a fun, individual dessert serving idea could be homemade marshmallows.  I haven't tried them yet but there are a bunch of posts on eGullet reporting member's successful attempts.  I think there are some good recipes about for strawberry marshmallows.  Maybe these could be scented with lemon verbena or rose geranium if these are in your garden.  Should work well being made completely ahead of time...

here is the thread on Homemade Marshmallows

you could always try some financiers (parisian brown butter and almond petit fours).  they're pretty simple to make and you can change the flavor or fruit garnish widely.  you can bake them in mini muffin molds and they're delicious!

Nice suggestions; pretty and delicious.

Welcome to Egullet, by the way, avid!

ludja,

I'm on my third (or is it fourth?) copy of the first Traunfeld book; I keep giving away thrashed copies... it's one of my all time favorite books... have you seen his latest? very approachable and great for newer cooks, but without that wonderful section on growing herbs at the back...

oh yeah, desserts...

the cornmeal cakes sound really yummy... i'll have to drive around and see where the blackberries are ripe, mine are a few weeks off...

i make marshmallows often enough that they are easy, i'll have to think about what sort of flavors i have used already...

also, miladyininsanity, i just noticed the "My ambition is to Out-Ling the Ling." sig... :laugh: good to have goals in life...