• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The birth of weeniecello

Andrew Fenton

Okay, a question for all you meat spirit connoisseurs.  By this point, you'll all have figured out the logical next step in this process.  What's the greatest, most savory, and fully delicious meat out there?  Why, bacon, of course.  So by all rights, baconcello should be next up.

But the thing is, I'm looking for a good breakfast drink.  And I'm thinking that bacon and egg-cello would be even better than just bacon.  But I need to figure out the best way to infuse the eggs into the vodka.

I'm not going to use raw eggs-- that would be nasty, and potentially salmonellicious, and wouldn't give the "Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast in a glass" flavor that I'm looking for.  My first thought was to use hard-boiled eggs.  But I worry that the hard-cooked egg proteins won't infuse well. 

Better would be to whip up some sous vide'd spring eggs and then infuse them.

But my thought is to poach a couple of eggs directly in the simmering vodka; this will keep all the flavor in the alcohol.  My question is, is there any chance of an explosion from boiling vodka on my stovetop?

not sure how to approach the egg part of the problem, but i would imagine something like an oscar meyer ready to eat type bacon product would work nicely. it's real bacon but you won't have the problem of pooling fat. have you considered the possibility of a pastramipolitan?

So, it seems that Andrew is famous.

A Tipple over the Top

Tequila with tofu? That's just weird. But not half as weird as the person named Andrew Fenton, of Philadelphia in the US, discovered on eGullet, the foodie chatroom. Because Mr Fenton is into meat-based liqueurs; specifically vodka infusions.

I have been inspired to create (it's been a name without a recipe) 'Velveeta Loca', a fiery yet creamy slushy drink- crushed ice, Bloody Mary mix, white tequila, and the eponymous cheese-like trout bait itself.

I would blend it up right now but wake the kids? Not even for a Wini-Tini.

My first thought was to use hard-boiled eggs.  But I worry that the hard-cooked egg proteins won't infuse well. 

Hard boiled eggs can be pickled in vinegar (old British bar staple) - and the pickle certainly penetrates the egg, so presumably there is some permeability which is presumably two-way (where are the food scientists out there?).

Like a tea egg, perhaps?

Actually the pickled egg thing gave me the idea, boiled quail eggs playing the role of pickled onion in a Gibson? Your Baconeggtini in a glass, & you needn't concern yourself with boiled egg protein- add shortly before serving.

My sushi bar does a miraculous quail egg shooter that kills what ails you, come to think of it. Maybe raw would be the way to go.

Do not put wieners in your vodka drink,

Great minds should not fritter away their time;

Besides, young man, what would the neighbors think?

Before ere long the meat will start to stink

And flies will queue to skate across the surface slime.

Do not put wieners in your vodka drink.

If your mother knew, she'd cry, "Go see a shrink!"

"Inherit the estate? Bah! Not a dime!"

For a laugh, dress the kitty up like Pink

Yet plying him with booze is such a crime!

Picture noble Socrates quaffing 'cello rinky-dink

Or Virgil downing franks in fields sublime.

So start infusions while the glasses clink,

But as we reach for ice or wedge of lime,

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

pontormo! wow, i had to dig back nearly 15 years to my intro to poetry classes to try and remember the name of that form...

ok i'll admit it: i couldn't remember it and had to look it up. villanelle, for anyone who's interested. huh, some poetry major i was.

Andrew, I'm about to embark on a weeniecello infusion in preparation for a somewhat annual wienerfest we have here. I need to consult the trailblazer.

Approximately how much vodka did you use for your infusion? Did you infuse at room temperature? And is there a reason, save aesthetics, that you did not chop up your franks for maximum weenification?

I await on tenterhooks.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting...

From an articleon chow... The Art of the Shock-tail.

Behind the bar, where the typical bartender macerates pineapple slices in vodka or maraschino cherries in bourbon, the mixologists at the Double Down Saloon in Las Vegas keep an unmarked bottle of vodka in which float several slices of bacon. The off-the-strip dive bar serves its signature Bacon Martini ‘round the clock, and quite a few early-morning lushes inhale the pork-belly libation as if it were a Grand Slam from Denny’s.

One of the advantages of infusing swine is that it’s easy to know when it’s ready: When the booze thickens into an opaque, filmy solution, shake it with ice and pour into a traditional martini glass. Sounds easy enough, but does the Sin City hipster actually prefer the taste of Castrol motor oil to the natural bite of quality Russian water?

I wonder if they read this thread.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 1 month later...

It's getting hot in here! (NYTimes Styles 11-19-06)

BACK in August, a man identifying himself as Andrew Fenton of Philadelphia stumped, thrilled and mildly sickened the cocktail wing of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts and Letters, an online forum, by posting news of a creation he called Weeniecello.

Porchetta, on Smith Street in Brooklyn NY weighs in with the Pork Margarita...

Porchetta’s chef, Jason Neroni, late of 71 Clinton Fresh Food, explained the drink’s origins: “We had a ton of skin left over from the pork bellies we serve, a huge batch that everyone was snacking on.”

Since pork fat had infiltrated the dessert menu (in the crust of a lemon-curd tart), why not the drink list?

On a recent Saturday night, more than a third of Porchetta’s patrons ordered this union of aperitif and appetizer, happily straddling the border between the brilliant and the insane.

:wink:

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Now that the NYT has blessed it (sort of) I suspect that Weeniecello, and variations thereof, will become the drink of urbane sophisticates everywhere. However, Hebrew National might be too pedestrian. Perhaps a nice artisinal saucisson or sopressata....

I'd try it with the weenies, regardless. :biggrin:

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi all! Just a friendly heads-up that Drink Me magazine, a small pub out of San Francisco, is running my article "Blood Thirsty: Carnivorous Cocktails" here: http://drinkmemag.com/ (download issue #6 "Blood Sex Sugar Magic." it's a little annoying to download & no direct link, sorry about that...)

You'll see that I drew much inspiration from this long-ago thread - thanks for all the collective brilliance, and I hope you enjoy the article.

Best,

Kara