• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oregon Coast and Portland

Hello there!

I'm going to be driving up the cali and oregon coast with my SO, and we are looking for some help with the Oregon restaurant recs. I've read about some great-sounding coastal restaurants, and any more would definitely be helpful. I believe we're spending one night in Bandon , i'm not sure where else (besides Portland.)

As far as Portland, we really only have a fri and sat there. I'm trying to pick two out of these restaurants for dinner, any opinions?

(in no particular order):

Carlyle

Paley's

Wildwood

clarklewis

Hurley’s

Olea

Siam Society

Noble Rot

we both really love tasting menus; love little plates/grazing; and would not mind spending $50-100 per person, including tax and tip (we're not big drinkers, and we're from DC so we're used to high prices.) The most important factor would be the food, and then the service. We're both in the industry so i guess we can be a little picky :rolleyes:

We also plan on doing some of these things:

going to Saturday market; the rose gardens and chinese garden; 23rd st; powell's, checking out the West Hills, and maybe taking a cruise down the Willamette to see the city.

any other ideas? would you nix any of those?

THANK YOU!

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

Hey there. I'd think about adding Park Kitchen to your list and the Alberta Oyster bar, though the other options on your list are good.

I'd skip the Saturday market , and opt for the Portland Farmer's market (on Saturday) near PSU.

Also check out Portlandfood.org and portlandfoodanddrink.org for more opinions about places to go here.

Hey there. I'd think about adding Park Kitchen to your list and the Alberta Oyster bar, though the other options on your list are good.

I'd skip the Saturday market , and opt for the Portland Farmer's market (on Saturday) near PSU.

Also check out Portlandfood.org and portlandfoodanddrink.org for more opinions about places to go here.

thanks for your response! I've checked out those sites and gotten some really good info - I just can't decide between the ones I've narrowed it down to. I was interested in Park Kitchen, I'd just heard mixed things, or that it was inconsistent. Thoughts? And which two of those I've picked would you choose, if you could only do two? Anyone else?

thanks...

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

Coming from Seattle, I've only eaten at clarklewis on your original list. We did, however, eat at Park Kitchen this last weekend and really enjoyed it. The menu is local and interesting and the portion sizes are perfect for sharing multiple things. The menu changes weekly so I can't speak to others food experiences but everything we ordered was interesting and well prepared. I wish the plating had been a little less......rustic. But that's just my thing.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Hi, I have been to 5 places on your list. I would definitely check out Fenouil in the Portland Pearl. It is a very pretty dining room with excellent food. We had lunch there, I had the butter lettuces salad and the salmon which was excellent. Desserts are also not to miss.

Park Kitchen is a great idea. The Heathman Hotel is also very good. We dined there last month and the Baked Black Cod was perfect.

I would give the Nehalem River Inn a look. Excellent food and service, one of the Oregon Coast hot spots right now. In Cannon Beach, don't miss Newman's @ 988, a new place owned by the former executive chef, John Newman of the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach. Bistro and Gower St. Bistro are also great in CB.

Seaside has a new Italian restaurant, Taste of Tuscany that is outstanding if you're going that far north. I have reviews with photos of most of these places on Tripadvisor under the Restaurant Review seciton if you're interested. Lots of great places to dine in the area. Will you be going to the Oregon Wine Country? If you are in Dayton, don't miss the Joel Palmer House. :)

If it was me, out of your list, I'd go to clarklewis, where you can get tasting menus that between the two of you will cover a large portion of what Morgan will be offering, and Olea. They're both pricey (for Portland) but fun. I think some of the other more formal places on your list are a little stuffy, and while the food is good, I'd go more for something offering a different experience then what I could get closer to home. I'm not sure that Noble Rot is worth seeking out if you're not going to be drinking wine. The food there has been fine when I've gone but it isn't a place I'd go out of my way to eat at if I was visiting another city. Park Kitchen has been hit or miss for me, when it's good, it's very good, and when it's bad, it's horrid. I'd go for lunch or a nibble and a drink, but not commit myself to a whole dinner.

Have a good time, and come back and tell us where you ate!

regards,

trillium

I like the Blackfish Cafe in Lincoln City very much. As far as Portland goes I'm one of those who had a not so stellar experience at Park Kitchen, though I can see where they can hit one out. They do have very good cocktails though. If you find yourself wanting something fairly casual I would totally recommend Caffe Mingo, I just had a great meal there a few weeks ago on a trip to Portland. A new must stop for me in Portland is Pambiche, some of the best Cuban food I've ever had. Have fun.

Rocky

Alright, I think we've narrowed it down to:

clarklewis for one dinner

Park Kitchen for lunch

and either Carlyle or Olea for the other dinner - can anyone help me out and let me know about atmosphere at both? are they stuffy, trendy, laid-back, etc...? Which would you pick between those two?

we do drink wine (will be visiting Willamette valley wineries on the way back), I just mentioned that we're not BIG drinkers so you would have that info in terms of the price - basically, $50-$100 per person doesn't include a bottle of wine, just a glass or two :)

thanks for all of your help, especially the coast stops. If you ever come to DC, PM me and I'll help you out!

Carolyn

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

We ate at Olea on our way back from the Oregon coast in June. I loved the food however, I found it very "open concept"...not quiet. Personally, when I'm looking to have a romantic meal, I enjoy a little privacy and don't like to feel overly exposed. Olea is kind of like that. Perfect for a meal with a friend or as a big family but not really for a couple. Just my opinion. I do believe they have a private dining room at the back of the restaurant for small groups.

I tried to find my receipt from our meal but couldn't. I believe I had two glasses of wine and my boyfriend had one of their speciality martinis and a glass of wine with dinner. I had their 11 vegetable salad and a pasta main. He had a starter and a main as well but I can't recall what (it was almost 2 months ago!). Our bill was just ~$100-120. Somewhere around that.

Our server was very knowledgable about menu. I remember being very impressed with her service. The quality of the food was superb and I found it to be reasonably priced (although I become quite accustomed to spending a "few bucks" on dining out).

I loved walking through the Pearl District to get to Olea. It's a great part of Portland to check out. We stayed at the Hotel Lucia which is just a short walk to the restaurant.

Wish I could give you a few tips on places to dine on the Oregon Coast but we were camping and most of our meals were over a campfire courtesy of Safeway! Portland was my treat at the end of a week of "roughing it". Have a wonderful trip.

Are you going to have a chance to picnic or camp after Portland? Best meal we had in Oregon last year was at Clarklewis. Second best was when cooking up the stuff we bought from the Portland market while camping -- it's an amazing place. Get there early, if you can, it gets mobbed. Highlights that I recall: oysters (pack a shucker) and wild mushrooms at $10/lb. Berries galore.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

thank you all so much for your help, I truly appreciate it...

Two more questions:

1) would either Olea or Carlyle be a good place to eat at the bar? Would one be better than the other? Does anyone know if either or both offer the full menu at the bar?

We don't know what time we'll be getting into Portland, so if possible, we'd like to keep our dinner plans flexible.

We already have a reservation at clarklewis... and we'll be going to wineries the next day, so we plan on some picnicking then. (I did most of my backpacking when I used to live in Eugene, and unfortunately we won't have a tent or sleeping bags with us.) Thanks for the tips Busboy!

And 2) (though its not quite food related) - we're planning on staying one night in Bandon because its about the right distance we'd like to drive for the day. If anyone knows any hotels, motels, cabins or b&b's in bandon, or within about 30 miles, please please let me know. You can PM me if its not relevant to the thread. thanks!

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

I second Clarklewis for dinner and Park Kitchen for lunch (I've had less luck there for dinner.) On the coast, Blackfish Cafe in Lincoln City is a winner. If you plan on wine tastings in the Valley, do consider The Painted Lady in Newberg. It has the tasting menu you are looking for and pretty terrific food.

Edited by Marya (log)

• 3 weeks later...
I'll second Bluehour, it's a cool ambiance, very upbeat with excellent food and service.  Painted Lady is on our list for our next visit to the Oregon Wine Country.  We wanted to try Joel Palmer House first and had a very nice experience there this summer.  :)

The Painted Lady and Joel Palmer are both very good, but are VERY different!

How's the ambiance at Painted Lady? Joel Palmer House is very elegant and he is BIG on mushrooms there. I have some photos and a review posted on the Tripadvisor Forum under Dayton Restaurants if you're interested.

We were wine tasting at Domaine Serene and the staff was buzzing about Painted Lady. I just had to get JPH our of my system, I had wanted to dine there for several years. :)

How's the ambiance at Painted Lady?  Joel Palmer House is very elegant and he is BIG on mushrooms there.  I have some photos and a review posted on the Tripadvisor Forum under Dayton Restaurants if you're interested.

We were wine tasting at Domaine Serene and the staff was buzzing about Painted Lady.    I just had to get JPH our of my system, I had wanted to dine there for several years.  :)

The atmosphere at The Painted Lady is quite elegant - at least in an Oregon wine country casual sort of way. :laugh: Like the other places out here, you'll see winemakers in shorts and work boots next to those decked out in Ralph Lauren. Of course, coats and ties are nowhere to be found. The restaurant itself is in a lovely old restored Victorian farm house.

The food is modern in presentation and conception and strictly based on local ingredients.