• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puff Pastry

Alex&Rufusmom

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and am SO excited about having a wealth of information at my finger tips. SO here goes... I love to make my own puff pastry. I know a glutton for punishment. I've made it probably 4 times and each time it comes out a bit on the heavy side. I'm using a recipe from a professional pastry book and I'm wondering if that could be the problem?? I understand that there are times when cutting a recipe in half that it just doesn't work?? So, I'm looking for new recipes?? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thomas Keller includes a puff pastry recipe in the French Laundry Cookbook and I have used it with good results. I have also used the recipe in Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques. They have both done a good job for me in the past. Once I even susbstituted whole wheat pastry flour in Pepin's recipe and the results were not at all bad.

I'd be interested to hear the comments of the professionals here, but with something like puff pastry the proportions of butter to flour are the thing, so halving or quartering the amounts shouldn't matter.

I have been making puff pastry for many years, (I'm an Enthusiastic Amateur, not a professional) and I think the key is in keeping everything very cool, and resting the dough properly between rollings. It is important with that first rolling that there is not too big a difference between the dough and the butter as far as temperature and therefore softness goes.

Keep practicing! It is very satisfying when you get it right - and good home-made puff pastry beats frozen commercial stuff by a very long way.

Janet

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

When it comes to laminated doughs, such as puff pastry, having a suitable recipe is only the half of it.

Your technique and kitchen conditions have a LOT to do with how your dough comes out. When I was in culinary/pastry school, all of us were given the same formula for puff dough, and all of us had different results based on how we handled the dough. Making sure you have the same consistency between the butter and the dough is important. Keeping your dough cool, but not terribly cold or too warm is important. How you roll it out is important......shouldn't be too thick or too thin. How many turns you give it is important. What kind of folds you give it is important. How long you rest it between turns is important.....

You see, there's so many things that contribute to the success of a laminated dough, and I would say that it's not so much the recipe you have to worry about, although, of course, some are better than others. What you need to concentrate on, more than anything else is the proper technique. It's something that takes practice, because you need to be really familiar with your dough to know what it will do for you. Pretty soon, you get a "feel" for it.

The recipes I used from my schoolbooks were completely suitable (Professional Baking-Gisslen and The Professional Pastry Chef-Friberg), and I actually STILL use the puff recipe from school because it has always worked fine for me.

My suggestion is to review technique before blaming the recipe, because puff recipes are pretty straightforward and simple, really. :smile:

Thomas Keller includes a puff pastry recipe in the French Laundry Cookbook and I have used it with good results. I have also used the recipe in Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques. They have both done a good job for me in the past. Once I even susbstituted whole wheat pastry flour in Pepin's recipe and the results were not at all bad.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out.

I'd be interested to hear the comments of the professionals here, but with something like puff pastry the proportions of butter to flour are the thing, so halving or quartering the amounts shouldn't matter. 

I have been making puff pastry for many years, (I'm an Enthusiastic Amateur, not a professional) and I think the key is in keeping everything very cool, and resting the dough properly between rollings. It is important with that first rolling that there is not too big a difference between the dough and the butter as far as temperature and therefore softness goes.

Keep practicing! It is very satisfying when you get it right - and good home-made puff pastry beats frozen commercial stuff by a very long way.

Janet

Thanks Janet. And yes I agree, homemade is definitely better than store bought. I'm determined to get it right. Mine isn't bad but it could be better. Thanks again.

When it comes to laminated doughs, such as puff pastry, having a suitable recipe is only the half of it.

Your technique and kitchen conditions have a LOT to do with how your dough comes out. When I was in culinary/pastry school, all of us were given the same formula for puff dough, and all of us had different results based on how we handled the dough. Making sure you have the same consistency between the butter and the dough is important. Keeping your dough cool, but not terribly cold or too warm is important. How you roll it out is important......shouldn't be too thick or too thin. How many turns you give it is important. What kind of folds you give it is important. How long you rest it between turns is important.....

You see, there's so many things that contribute to the success of a laminated dough, and I would say that it's not so much the recipe you have to worry about, although, of course, some are better than others. What you need to concentrate on, more than anything else is the proper technique. It's something that takes practice, because you need to be really familiar with your dough to know what it will do for you. Pretty soon, you get a "feel" for it.

The recipes I used from my schoolbooks were completely suitable (Professional Baking-Gisslen and The Professional Pastry Chef-Friberg), and I actually STILL use the puff recipe from school because it has always worked fine for me.

My suggestion is to review technique before blaming the recipe, because puff recipes are pretty straightforward and simple, really. :smile:

As I am an amateur pastry baker, I know I have a great deal to learn. I'm sure my tech. leaves a great deal to be desired?? But, I'm always up for a challenge. I wasn't actually blaming the recipe just questioning whether puff pasrty is a recipe that holds up to being reduced by half?? And it seems as though it does?? So yes I will continue to work on my tech. Thanks for the constructive criticism and words or encouragement. :biggrin:

I wasn't actually blaming the recipe just questioning whether puff pasrty is a recipe that holds up to being reduced by half??

As long as your math is right, and you've accurately reduced the recipe, you should not have any problems. In fact, working with puff pastry in smaller amounts is actually easier, and you have better control over your dough. Rolling out a monster amount of dough by hand can really be a b*tch! In school, we didn't have a sheeter, and rolled it all out with a pin. I stood on a milk crate to get good leverage, and I felt it in my abdomen for weeks! It was like I did 100 sit up a day! I never DID get rock hard abs from it though.......... :raz:

Here's my notes from school. I can't remember what of this is me and what is Martha Crawford. I have made a lot of this stuff over the years. this formula can be doubled and it's still not too hard to handle. In all the places I've worked where I've made puff dough, Danish, croissant, I have never used a sheeter, not once.

Notes on puff pastry

Here's my notes from school. I can't remember what of this is me and what is Martha Crawford. I have made a lot of this stuff over the years. this formula can be doubled and it's still not too hard to handle. In all the places I've worked where I've made puff dough, Danish, croissant, I have never used a sheeter, not once.

Notes on puff pastry

WOW!!!! Thanks so much for the recipes and notes!!! I'm sure it will help a great deal. I had no idea that members on this site would be so generous with their time, thoughts and recipes!!! Thanks again. :biggrin:

WOW!!!!  Thanks so much for the recipes and notes!!! I'm sure it will help a great deal.  I  had no idea that members on this site would be so generous with their time, thoughts and recipes!!!  Thanks again.  :biggrin:

Welcome to eGullet Alex&Rufusmom!

That's what we're here for - to learn and share. Good luck with the pastry!

WOW!!!!  Thanks so much for the recipes and notes!!! I'm sure it will help a great deal.  I  had no idea that members on this site would be so generous with their time, thoughts and recipes!!!  Thanks again.   :biggrin:

Welcome to eGullet Alex&Rufusmom!

That's what we're here for - to learn and share. Good luck with the pastry!

Pam, thanks for the warm welcome