• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm looking for steaks

wattacetti

It's been a while since I've actually had to got out for steaks in Montreal but I will need to do this on Wednesday. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've been in town long enough to do much of anything, but I digress…

This isn't for just steak/frites - I'd like a place that has more than one or two meaty selections on the menu. I know all the well-known places but is there one that I'm missing or one that has improved?

Joe Beef: closed for holidays (their cow was okay when I had it)

APDC: bit sloppy on the bison T-bone a couple of weeks back (I still reserve judgment on whether Picard's crew has improved) and though meaty, it's not quite what I had in mind

Queue de Cheval: not interested in the overpriced meat-slapping

Moishe's: okay but not spectacular the last time I was there

40 Westt: QdC's meat-slapping *and* being trapped on the West Island :unsure:

Gibby's: touristy

Keg: this isn't Scarborough

Bifthèque: good for buying the cow, not so good on the sit-down part

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

It might be time to kick it old school and go to Rib 'n' Reef. Or Angus on Drummond.

Or just buy the steaks at Le Biftheque and grill them yourself.

I had forgotten about these two. Have never been to the former (have seen the commercials), and had a waiter at the Angus that switched steaks on me about 6-odd years ago.

No time to grill. Besides, I've already done my annual obligation to grill protein for 15.

At the moment, leaning back towards Moishe's.

It might be time to kick it old school and go to Rib 'n' Reef. Or Angus on Drummond.

Or just buy the steaks at Le Biftheque and grill them yourself.

I had forgotten about these two. Have never been to the former (have seen the commercials), and had a waiter at the Angus that switched steaks on me about 6-odd years ago.

No time to grill. Besides, I've already done my annual obligation to grill protein for 15.

At the moment, leaning back towards Moishe's.

You might wish to consider Garde Manger on St-Francois-Xavier. I had the bavette there and it was amazing. One of best pieces of meat that I have had in Montreal.

Just thought of another potential place for good steak (non-steak frites joint): Pur (steak + sushi bar).

I must emphasize that the porterhouse I had was the only good thing I ate there. But if it's steak you want, it could be an option.

Off McGill, just above de la Commune.

You might wish to consider Garde Manger on St-Francois-Xavier. I had the bavette there and it was amazing. One of best pieces of meat that I have had in Montreal.

Thomasein: Thanks for this suggestion. I'm going to keep Garde-Manger in mind for other purposes but the bavette is a steak/frites thing and the need is for grilled pieces of cow.

Just thought of another potential place for good steak (non-steak frites joint): Pur (steak + sushi bar).

I must emphasize that the porterhouse I had was the only good thing I ate there. But if it's steak you want, it could be an option.

LHarrison: You're not the only person who I've heard say that about Pur.

Actually thought of another one - the Alouette on Ste-Catherine but I'll give that one a miss too.

Clock's ticking. Perhaps time to stop being such a control freak and consider which one of the temples to protein the rest of the group might want to visit.

Mb mangeboire on St.Laurent in little Italy, Yeah thats right , Little Italy, Great sushi and Grill(steak) No one mentions it but amazing sushi (Japanese Chef not Korean or chinese) and amazing Black Angus AAA Canadian Beef not to mention the best Chilean Sea Bass in town. And this place has two great Chefs, the other is a Greek guy who works the grill. Try it and let me Know and the prices are definetly reasonable

Wattacetti, I'll take advatage of your post to throw another name to your list: Restaurant du Vieux-Port.

We completed our first phase of renovations in May: new bar with closed off deck on the outdoor terrace and we also redid our three main dining rooms and staircase. The second phase will be done in the fall (raw bar/market section, other dining rooms, outdoors, etc.)

To the more important stuff... We hired a new chef, Claudio Ambrosi from Queue de Cheval, and a new restaurant director, Maria Mendes, previously from Fereira, Prélude and Queue de Cheval. Our beef has always been great (Alberta AAA+ Angus), but we have made signifcant improvements on presentation and sides. Furthermore, Maria has done a great job with the service team, and the results since the end of May have been fantastic.

Definitely worth a try and great value.

Edited by Walnuts (log)

Thank you to all who made suggestions. We wound up going to APDC because several hadn't been there before or hadn't been in a long while. For me it was okay - food is better than the last time I visited and paid attention (about 2 years ago?). I got to have some courgette flowers and the cochinnailles was interesting, but a miss on the chop. The most interesting of the mains was the bison rib: all 50 cm of so of bone was on the plate but they had mercifully deboned the meat so that one could eat it.

The wine list still jumps (very) quickly into the 3 digits and service is still uneven but overall, APDC is better. Go again? Perhaps when it's bitterly cold and everyone has a Questran shooter already under their belts. I don't know how those Japanese waifs were doing it, but it's too heavy for a summer meal.

Walnuts: thank you for your suggestion of Restaurant du Vieux-Port. What you have done sounds very interesting. Haven't been since oh, the 90s but a Vancouver friend of mine visits you regularly when she's in town because she considers you to be a sure bet. I'll be sure to make time to go with her the next time she's around.

LHarrison: :laugh:

Where's the Ponderosa when you need one?

Edited by wattacetti (log)

Forget Canadian beef wich is far to be as good as Amrican beef.

Go to Club Chasse et Pêche and ask for a Wagyu style steak!

I've had Wagyu and Kobe before (both nice) but CCeP doesn't quite fit the temple to protein worship that we had been looking for.

• 3 weeks later...