• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Re-Location and wages

cookatlarge

Hello, this is a question for the locals what are the average wage in BC/whistler area for cooks, im planning on moving out their in january and have been in kitchens for 4 years including a srtage in France.I'm searching for a great place to live, not in the city sector and possibly drive to work daily, whistler im sure has lots of jobs so maybe that area, anyways i'd like some feed back, thanks

If you are planning to move in January, forget about Whistler.

If you don't have a place to live by the end of October, your chances of finding one are next to impossible unless you want to live in staff housing.

And believe me, you don't want that.

Jobs are plentiful but living space is not.

I have lived in Whistler for ten years and they still have not done anything about the housing problem.

Best of luck!

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

P.S. The wages are in line with what is being offered in Vancouver but the housing prices are out of control. Most places offer about 12-13 an hour to start but your food prices in the grocery store is about 20% higher than in Sqaumish.

This is where you will probably have to live if you come in January.

The rent is cheaper but the money you spend on gas will more than make up the difference.

Not trying to burst your bubble but I won't lie to you about the way it is.

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Don't rule out Vancouver completely..there are many great areas and restaurants that are great. What are you looking for in a job and what are your special talents and passions...that should determine your location.

As to salary's..they certainly vary as do benifits. Good luck and look me up if you get to Vancouver.

cheers Lynn

IN FOOD, CHEF LYNN FROM ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS FOODS CAFE AND CATERING

I just wanted to add that unlike many cities, the city core in Vancouver is very liveable, with decent access to parks- westend, false creek, yaletown are all "inner-city" and have lots of green space, access to water, and amenities.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Go to Calgary- the pay is there and it is the hot bed right now.

Vancouver is not paying that well for restaurants but better for hotels but even 16 is not that much- the west coast is playing catch up on the wages to the rest of Canada.

Toronto, Calgary and now edmonton are paying more and with the constuction industry paying 16 bucks an hour for unskilled labour they are not geting to many cooks for much less.

Northern Alberta is paying like 12-15 in Tim Hortons and other fast food places so the higher end restaurants have to start paying. We are going to have to start paying more to eat out in fine dinning on the coast so we can start paying cooks what there worth.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I just wanted to add that unlike many cities, the city core in Vancouver is very liveable, with decent access to parks- westend, false creek, yaletown are all "inner-city" and have lots of green space, access to water, and amenities.

Whistler is very green as well but when your salary is below poverty level (as it is in Vancouver as well, hence the shortage of cooks), this doesn't mean a single thing.

I don't mean any slight but you can starve in a beautiful, livable city just as well as in an ugly one.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

P.S. I agree with stovetop. If you want the bucks, go to Calgary. It might not be as pretty but with the money you earn, you can spend as much time as you want in BC or anywhere else you choose to visit.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I don't mean any slight but you can starve in a beautiful, livable city just as well as in an ugly one.

Keep on shucking

Oh, I don't disagree with that, Oyster Guy. Just wanted to say that Vancouver is pretty liveable, if you can find an affordable place. If you are working late hours, transit is pretty difficult outside the city.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza