• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this flatware ugly?

BryanZ

I understand where you're coming from Shalmanese, but given my circumstances I'd say these are a compromise of sorts. I have grand designs in how I'd outfit my ideal restaurant with all types of service pieces and flatware but unfortunately cost is a signifcant concern. In addition, I'm trying to "sell" a unique experience to what will primarily be an unexpecting and relatively inexperienced audience. With this said, I want to make the aesthetic memorable, so even if the diner doesn't love the flatware they will be able to draw some sort of clear connection between the food, the hospitality, and overall vibe of the experience.

As an aside I was wandering through the tableware and design sections of the International Gift Fair in New York today and was very disappointed with the flatware and service pieces. Even high-end design houses presented items that seemed to be "modern" as simply an end in itself, similar to the flatware we're discussing here. Nothing got me to exclaim, "Wow, that's a brilliant/new/innovative idea/design!"

Edited by BryanZ (log)

Since cost is a determining factor, perhaps you shouldn't go with a specific style for tableware. No patterns or designs. Just something simple to showcase the food.

And when (not if) you become successful down the road you can always buy the tableware you really want. Just bide your time.

Hit the Ross', the T.J. Maxx's, the restaurant odds-and-ends stores.

There used to be a pottery store near Old Town in San Diego that sold tableware from restaurants that had gone out of business. I picked up a variety of pieces, none of it matching, that turned out, IMHO, to be quite fun to serve meals on. Plates, serving dishes, platters, etc, and most of it is solid stoneware that will take a lot of abuse. I am sure you can find a similar store near you.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I would buy that set in a second. I love the Global look, hence I own a set of Global knives. Global knife handles are no problem keeping clean, why would these be different? I, too, do not understand the "cleaning" concerns. Looks like the grip could be ergonomic and comfortable. Might actually be good for people with hand mobility problems. Keep them and use them proudly.

My thought is - they caught your eye, Bryan. You picked them up because you had the feeling that they'd fit in the aesthetic of what you're trying to create. You've tested them and they function well. My advice is to go with your gut feeling. Something you might do is test these out and get some feedback from your guests. You can always change later if after your guests have had their say, you feel like they should be replaced with something else.

The first thing I noticed is that the forks are human sized... not HUGE like a lot of the cutlery sets I saw when I was replacing my set last year. It seems that the forks are getting so big that I seriously can't see how a dainty little woman would get it into her mouth. So, you get my vote for the forks. The spoons are decent shapes and sizes, so you get my vote there too. However, those knives look more like spears than knives. The cutting portion seems quite short compared to the handle. Honestly, they look a bit odd.

I have a whole theory about how cuttlery manufacturers should sell single sets of cutlery for you to buy and try out at home before you bite the bullet and purchase a whole set....but dont get me started. It took me a long time to find a set that I liked. It's quite a personal choice.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

The knife shape resembles a scalpel. Scalpels are designed for cutting.

In fact, the whole point is that cutting edge, which is where Bryan is headed in general anyway. Visual pun on a place-setting.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I think they have a very *Z*-ishness to them. Zippy, zingy, that sort of thing.

As soon as I saw them I could imagine them catching your eye. Don't know exactly what I mean, but something like the set seeming young and edgy.

Shoot, if you were cooking some of your tasty treats I'd eat them with a paper plate and a broken bamboo skewer. Good luck with your adventure!

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

That cutlery wouldn't faze me. It makes the right statement for what I perceive to be your style of cuisine, Bryan. It looks functional but a little edgy.

For years I used cutlery with indented decoration (long since disappeared to some student flat) and there was never a cleaning problem. It was replaced by plain sleek stainless steel.

I have a good canteen of silver cutlery that comes out for special dinners. Now that IS hard to clean.

Keep cooking!

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

Bryan, I wonder if we could see an actual place setting with the plates and napkins that you were thinking of using. (Maybe with some of your gorgeous food, too :wub: ) Also, what glassware/stemware?

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Stemware for wines is giving me quite the headache. I can't find anything decent for cheap enough. I don't like wine glasses smaller than 12 oz and prefer 22 oz. glasses for reds. Unfortunately, all the stuff commonly found at discounters like TJ Maxx, Home Goods, and Target doesn't quite fit that bill. Even if I am able to find a glass I like they usually don't have more than a few. Shopping at department stores is too expensive and I don't know of any good restaurant supply stores near me at school.

Suggestions?

Stemware for wines is giving me quite the headache.  I can't find anything decent for cheap enough.  I don't like wine glasses smaller than 12 oz and prefer 22 oz. glasses for reds.  Unfortunately, all the stuff commonly found at discounters like TJ Maxx, Home Goods, and Target doesn't quite fit that bill.  Even if I am able to find a glass I like they usually don't have more than a few.  Shopping at department stores is too expensive and I don't know of any good restaurant supply stores near me at school.

Suggestions?

Have you checked out Herndon on Roxboro? I know they won't have anything terribly high end, but they have your basic restaurant stock.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Bryan, what is your budget for stemware? Have you tried IKEA, Linens & Things, or Bed, Bath & Beyond? Franklin Mills in Philly has a BB&B outlet store, and you can often find some good stuff in their clearance aisles. With an out-of-state driver's license, you get a discount coupon book at the information desk. And with those 20% off coupons that arrive in almost everybody's mailbox on a monthly basis, you may probably find something relatively inexpensive that's not unattractive.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Also, if you are willing to make the trip:

At the State fairgrounds in Raleigh there is a guy who sells restaurant flatware/place settings, etc that aren't anything that will win any design awards, but I have picked up a couple dozen Homer Laughlin 12" plates to use for large parties. He also has small wares like creamers/sugars and squeeze bottles, tongs...lots of other things. I seem to remember paying under $2 a plate, but this was a few years ago. It might be worth a look. I don't know about glassware however.

Edited to add:

He is only there on weekends during the flea market, which is getting ready to close in about a month for the State Fair.

Edited by phlawless (log)

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."