• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North Jersey Openings

Kobi

I had a pretty decent meal at the Indian restaurant up near Whole Foods - it is the place on the opposite side of the road, however I can't remember the name right now. Also Sapphire in East Hanover runs a good buffet (yes, I realize that this is just outside the Essex County border ;).

That said, I have to admit that I usually try and stave off my Indian food cravings until I am down near my office (Iselin, a stones throw from Oak Tree Road, otherwise known as the New Jersey epicenter of good Indian restaurants). A quick 30 minute drive down there pays off with some great food.

We tried the new Turkish rest. in Carlstadt the other night. It is decent. We had the Eggplant salad, Tabouli, and a Chicken kabob. All very tasty. The atmosphere is nice, service good. My only complaint would be the size of the app's. I usually go to Betyi Kabob in Union City, and am spoiled by the generous portions. However, the authenticity of taste was equal.

Besides needing a good Indian place, my personal request is for some good Puerto Rican food. Cafe Cafe in Rutherford is too pricey, and I'm not familiar with any offerings across the river in Passaic. Can anyone help me? BTW, I'm up for a Southern Bergen Egullet field trip!

I had a pretty decent meal at the Indian restaurant up near Whole Foods - it is the place on the opposite side of the road, however I can't remember the name right now.

Taj Palace. Yes, they are decent.

Kinara down in Edgewater (ironically, also across from a Whole Foods!) is also pretty good.

Neither of these places really knock me out, but I'd settle for one of similar quality a lot closer to home. I'd just like to be able to get some Indian takeout once in a while w/o 40 minutes of driving.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I had a pretty decent meal at the Indian restaurant up near Whole Foods - it is the place on the opposite side of the road, however I can't remember the name right now.  Also Sapphire in East Hanover runs a good buffet (yes, I realize that this is just outside the Essex County border ;)

That said, I have to admit that I usually try and stave off my Indian food cravings until I am down near my office (Iselin, a stones throw from Oak Tree Road, otherwise known as the New Jersey epicenter of good Indian restaurants).  A quick 30 minute drive down there pays off with some great food.

PLEASE give us some specific Indian places to try on Oak Tree Road...I, too, live in West Orange and would love som advice...Thanks in advance... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had a pretty decent meal at the Indian restaurant up near Whole Foods - it is the place on the opposite side of the road, however I can't remember the name right now.  Also Sapphire in East Hanover runs a good buffet (yes, I realize that this is just outside the Essex County border ;)

That said, I have to admit that I usually try and stave off my Indian food cravings until I am down near my office (Iselin, a stones throw from Oak Tree Road, otherwise known as the New Jersey epicenter of good Indian restaurants).  A quick 30 minute drive down there pays off with some great food.

PLEASE give us some specific Indian places to try on Oak Tree Road...I, too, live in West Orange and would love som advice...Thanks in advance... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

PLEASE give us some specific Indian places to try on Oak Tree Road...I, too, live in West Orange and would love som advice...Thanks in advance... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Here's a quick list off the top of my head:

Moghul - 1655 Oak Tree Road - Upscale, pretty consistently good dining - they run a decent lunch buffet, however the dinner service has some amazing food

Malgudi - 1671 Oak Tree Road (hidden behind Dunken Donuts) - This has become a recent favorite for our office. They do a really good, reasonably priced buffet, with a wide variety of dishes (including tandoori, goat curry, chicken biryani)

Moghul Express - 1670 Oak Tree Road - Fast-food like place for Dosas and Indian-Chinese-Thai cuisine. Also a good spot for Mithai (sweets) - I love their kalakand.

Swagath - 1700 Oak Tree Road - Great south indian (vegetarian) food - I love going there when the weather is a bit cooler. They serve a small cup of this tomato-based soup at the beginning of your lunch, which has a good kick to it!

Hope this helps!

Jason

Is Maggiano's Little Italy yet another chain?  I drove past one  on a highway outside St. Louis last week & wondered what the heck it was, I thought something about it looked too stylized for it to be a local establishment.

I wonder if it is part of the Maggiano's chain that I visited in Denver last yr. It actually was pretty good (for a chain). A check of their web site says they have a location in Bridgewater, but nothing about Paramus.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog