• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mustard Oil (and other oils)

Mustard oil keeps showing up all over the India board. Is it a flavored oil, or, as I suspect, oil pressed from mustard seeds? Does it have a mustard flavor? I am intrigued. I like to spread fish with prepared Dijon mustard before broiling it. I remember seeing a post (by Simon?) about frying fish in mustard oil, but I haven't been able to locate it. Can someone fill me in, please? What other uses are there for mustard oil?

As Waverly Root pointed out in The Food of France, much of the character of an area's cuisine is determined by the type of cooking oil used. I believe this is true in India, as well. You mentioned that mustard oil is used in the north, for example. Does "ghee" properly ever refer to anything but clarified butter? (I have seen labels, saying "vegetable ghee."

What other oils are regularly used? Are certain oils preferred in certain regions? Are certain oils used for certain foods?

Mustard oil is oil pressed from the seeds of the same name.

It is used across most of North and Central India and also parts of the East and Western India.

In Bengal they use a lot of Mustard oil with fish together. Simon would be our best bet on learning more about this.

Pickles in North and Central INdia are always made with this oil.

Vegetable Ghee is like Crisco. Not ghee.

Ghee is clarified butter.

Different regions of India use different oils.

Maybe you can glance through the threads on Introduction, regional and even some debating the different styles of Indian cooking and you shall find more stuff on this.

When back in NYC later tonight, or maybe by Monday, I will take time and write more.

I love mustard oil.

You should be able to find it if you have a good Indian grocery shop around you.

I have found that different brands have different levels of flavour and aroma.

The best ones I've had are from India and have a pronounced mustard taste and smell.

It is great to marinate steaks in mustard oil, especially if they have some fat on them for the fat really soaks up the mustard flavour.

I have heard that mustard oil tenderises meat aswell, but i'm not sure if thats true.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

I bought a bottle of mustard oil yesterday. It is a deep golden color with a pungent, peppery aroma. I poured out a little to taste. It is fairly viscous, with a pronounced, mustardy bite that lasts in the throat for quite a while. Madhur Jaffrey, in World of the East says that the sharpness dissipatesu upon heating and the oil develops a sweeter character. I'm planning to use it this week to make fish and I'll report back.

I'm getting ready to make vindaloo, and was just reading up on mustard oil. Don't know if this is true or not -- Julie Sahni says that "mustard oil in its raw form has a very strong smell that many people find unpleasant. Before Indians use it in cooking, it is put through a mellowing process. This is done by heating the oil to a very high temperature (smoking point), which releases the pungent smell and vaporizes the oil. When cool, the mustard oil is ready for use."

Is this correct? Also, Sandra, where did you get the mustard oil?

I'm getting ready to make vindaloo, and was just reading up on mustard oil.  Don't know if this is true or not -- Julie Sahni says that "mustard oil in its raw form has a very strong smell that many people find unpleasant.  Before Indians use it in cooking, it is put through a mellowing process.  This is done by heating the oil to a very high temperature (smoking point), which releases the pungent smell and vaporizes the oil.  When cool, the mustard oil is ready for use."

Is this correct?  Also, Sandra, where did you get the mustard oil?

Yes all mustard oil is first burned and then cooled and cooked only after that process.

Madhur and Sahni are correct and please follow their steps.

Will be back tomorrow in full swing.

Yes all mustard oil is first burned and then cooled and cooked only after that process.

Thats interesting. I knew that if you cooked with it the flavour of the oil mellowed, but I didn't know it was meant the be 'pre-cooked'.

I actually like the raw taste on some foods.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

Thanks, Anil. At this point, it's becoming more like New York vindaloo -- the meat is marinating until tomorrow -- do you think the mustard oil will be too weird tasting? The marinade is pretty hot.

One of the most interesting things that I remember seeing in a New Dehli market was an oil press-where mustard oil was pressed to order for customers.It was an old contraption;the oil was put into a plastic bag,and the husks and waste came out in a flat sheet,resembling kelp.

Mustard oil is used mostly in Northern India for making pickles and in some homes for deep frying snacks.

In homes in the Punjab or even Uttar Pradesh in Northern India where they use Mustard Oil, it is common practice to bring the oil to smoking point first, just the oil, and then cool it before being used. This helps tone down the otherwise pungent smell and taste.

In Eastern India (Parts of Uttar Pradesh, Orissa, Bihard and especially Bengal), Mustard Oil is the favorite medium of cooking.

In fact in each of these areas, there are dishes in which it is essential to use Mustard oil, for it imparts the characteristic flavoring associated with the oil.

One of the most interesting things that I remember seeing in a New Dehli market was an oil press-where mustard oil was pressed to order for customers.It was an old contraption;the oil was put into a plastic bag,and the husks and waste came out in a flat sheet,resembling kelp.

Wingding,

You have really discovered an India few Indians would know. How lucky you are. You must have really planned your trip with great care. It is great reading about your Indian trip around the forum. You always share amazing tid-bits of information. Thanks! :smile:

Thanks, Anil.  At this point, it's becoming more like New York vindaloo -- the meat is marinating until tomorrow -- do you think the mustard oil will be too weird tasting?  The marinade is pretty hot.

Toby,

I would usually not use Mustard oil for this dish for it is very hot but the spicing is quite subtle. The heat if from the chilies, but the small amounts of other spices that are used would get quite overwhelmed by the oil. Also, mustard oil will add further pungency to an already quite pungent dish. :smile:

Thats interesting. I knew that if you cooked with it the flavour of the oil mellowed, but I didn't know it was meant the be 'pre-cooked'.

I actually like the raw taste on some foods.

Polly, there are many Indians that love it strong. Especially in the Eastern part of India.

But in the US, bottles of Mustard oil must say that it is considered harmful for human consumption. :shock:

Is that not curious?

My father always got a sore throat after eating in homes where the food was prepared with mustard oil. And then there were those in the larger family and friend circle who felt he was missing something very special by not enjoying Mustard oil with more dishes.