• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seegers Closing

jaypm51

Chef Guenter Seeger has finally given up the good fight. After investing better than twenty years of his life providing Atlanta's epicurian community with some of the finest dining in the world, Seeger is moving on.

Sadly, a slow but steady exodus of Atlanta's most talented chefs have bled the city of top flght restaurants.

Where have all the epicures gone? Following their favorite chefs to other cities I presume. It really is a drag to have to fly to New York for a great meal.

Jay

You are what you eat.

Not entirely in agreement with your comment

a slow but steady exodus of Atlanta's most talented chefs have bled the city of top flght restaurants.

There are still a great many chefs of exceptional quality here in Atlanta, as of today ...

The full John Kessler article appears here:

Seeger's will close on Aug. 19

scenario that will keep him in Atlanta and at his restaurant. Local restaurateur Bob Amick claims he is in discussions with Seeger to buy a claim in the restaurant. "There is no final deal, but we are exploring options," says Amick, whose local restaurants include high-volume scenesters such as One Midtown Kitchen, Two Urban Licks, Piebar.

If this plan goes forward, Amick says, "We would close the restaurant [for a period of time] to repurpose it and make it more accessible to diners." He added, "Guenter is one of the ten best chefs in America; it's really in Atlanta's interest to keep him here."

and, perhaps, this may yet happen ... hoping so!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Atlanta diners are known to be extremely fickle. They also prefer trendy to good and will flock to a restaurant for its first few years but then will leave it for greener mesclun at the earliest opportunity. (Granted there are known exceptions as the Buckhead Life Group can attest but those are few and far between). Couple that with the general move fr/ formal dining to a more casual atmosphere, the issues w/ Buckhead (losing its appeal to Midtown & the new Atlantic Station--esp. for restaurant goers, the crime, the parking and traffic, the opening of new restaurants in the suburbs taking market share (esp. w/ gas prices as they have been), and the restaurant not being located in prime convention area and you can under stand the problems. Seeger's has a local reputation of stuffy service, high prices, and food that, quite frankly, scares some folks (as "trendy" as people in Atlanta are they are not in to experimentation or venturing too far fr/ the basic).

Hopefully things will work out and Seeger will stay but it was great for him to be here for as long as he was and if he does leave we will probably see a fresh face fill the void.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Not entirely in agreement with your comment
a slow but steady exodus of Atlanta's most talented chefs have bled the city of top flght restaurants.

There are still a great many chefs of exceptional quality here in Atlanta, as of today ...

It is remarkable that three of the city's top chefs (arguably the top three) in Seeger, Soto, and Blais have all shut down or moved out in the past, what, 6 months? Agreed there are many more excellent chefs in town, but that is a big blow to the Atlanta dining scene. I would venture that none of those three have an equal in Atlanta for what they did best - there simply is no other place like Seegers, nor like Soto, nor like Blais at his adventurous best. All the more reason to support the ones still here though, and hope for more good things to come.

Coincidentally, I read this in an e-mail I received this morning from "The Strong Buzz." I believe Andrea Strong may write for the NY Times.

Guenther Seeger

Rumor has it that Atlanta’s hottest chef, Guenther Seeger, formerly at the Ritz-Carlton and then of his own impossible-to-get-a-reservation place, Seeger's, is coming to New York. His Atlanta restaurant closed on August 19th. Word on the street is he is after three Michelin stars up here, but really you know all anyone wants is an off the charts review from The Strong Buzz. I mean after that, what else is there?

Susan

Coincidentally, I read this in an e-mail I received this morning from "The Strong Buzz."  I believe Andrea Strong may write for the NY Times.

Guenther Seeger

Rumor has it that Atlanta’s hottest chef, Guenther Seeger, formerly at the Ritz-Carlton and then of his own impossible-to-get-a-reservation place, Seeger's, is coming to New York. His Atlanta restaurant closed on August 19th. Word on the street is he is after three Michelin stars up here, but really you know all anyone wants is an off the charts review from The Strong Buzz. I mean after that, what else is there?

Obviously Andrea Strong's intelligence is flawed. As of August 25, Seegers is still open. Also, I doubt very much that Seeger has ever heard of The Strong Buzz. Of course there is lots of speculation regarding Seeger's next move but whatever it turns out to be, he has demonstrated that his commitment to Atlanta has been far greater than Atlanta's commitment to him and his restaurant.

Edited by jaypm51 (log)

Jay

You are what you eat.

On access Atlanta today this appeared: reprieve for Seegers

Chef Guenter Seeger has found the means to raise his namesake Buckhead restaurant from the ashes despite his announcement three weeks ago that he planned to sell the restaurant and leave the city....
Read to find out how this miracle occurred ...

It's like a dream come true.  Seeger stays and offers cheaper options for us hobos.  I can't believe it.  Just awesome.

Well, someone felt that their financial backing would make all the difference .. and, ultimately, he was satisfied enough to stay ... I think this is wonderful news for Atlanta!

It's like a dream come true.  Seeger stays and offers cheaper options for us hobos.  I can't believe it.  Just awesome.

Well, someone felt that their financial backing would make all the difference .. and, ultimately, he was satisfied enough to stay ... I think this is wonderful news for Atlanta!

It is wonderful news indeed. Hopefully the rest of Atlanta's food-wise community shares our sentiments and provides the patronage necessary to sustain the restaurant beyond the next few months. I, for one, believe Seeger's best is yet to come.

Jay

You are what you eat.

I deffinately have to disagree! Yes, Seeger's is a great restaurant but, the best? It seem that many people in Atlanta (especially Buckhead) all have common palates! When I say this I mean that they always want to go to these hip trendy establishments that want nothing to do but make an ass pile of money in 3-5 years and move on. Closing a restaurant in 4 years after clearing 2 to 3 mill. doesn't hurt the business at all because in a year or so they will open another restaurant change the chef and the name but, the music and food will stay the same. Loud after barely meager to say the most. Peace I am Out

I deffinately have to disagree! Yes, Seeger's is a great restaurant but, the best?  It seem that many people in Atlanta (especially Buckhead) all have common palates!  When I say this I mean that they always want to go to these hip trendy establishments that want nothing to do but make an ass pile of money in 3-5 years and move on.  Closing a restaurant in 4 years after clearing 2 to 3 mill. doesn't hurt the business at all because in  a year or so they will open another restaurant change the chef and the name but, the music and food will stay the same.  Loud after barely meager to say the most.  Peace I am Out

This doesn't warrant much of a reply. . . so I'll just observe that based on your post it doesn't sound as if you've ever been to Seeger's. Seeger's is owned by chef Guenter Seeger. It is his only restaurant and he works on the line in the kitchen every night. Every penny they make is hard-earned and well deserved.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Seeger's is owned by chef Guenter Seeger.  It is his only restaurant and he works on the line in the kitchen every night.  Every penny they make is hard-earned and well deserved.

Amen, ned, amen .. and many thanks for your having acknowledged the efforts and creativity of Gunther Seeger.

I've never even been to Seeger's, but I know that if every restaurant in Buckhead made the same food as Seeger, Atlanta would have the best dining scene in the country. You don't get to where he's gotten by being uncreative.

I deffinately have to disagree! Yes, Seeger's is a great restaurant but, the best?  It seem that many people in Atlanta (especially Buckhead) all have common palates!  When I say this I mean that they always want to go to these hip trendy establishments that want nothing to do but make an ass pile of money in 3-5 years and move on.  Closing a restaurant in 4 years after clearing 2 to 3 mill. doesn't hurt the business at all because in  a year or so they will open another restaurant change the chef and the name but, the music and food will stay the same.  Loud after barely meager to say the most.  Peace I am Out

Nashvegas, just for the record, there is no music at Seeger's and there is absolutely nothing "common" about the palate emanating from that kitchen. There are many restaurants, one could argue, that meet your description, but I assure you Seeger's is not among them.

Jay

You are what you eat.

• 4 weeks later...