• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood quality/selection in Vancouver

DJOblong

We have know local fish variety to speak of except for a 'variety of salmon' and overpriced halibut and some 'red snapper. which is various species lumped together and called snapper - okay some cod as well. Therefore we have to rely on the exotics. I support 100% you idea of supporting local fisherman and business but there is only so much you can do with salmon and halibut.

Sablefish, herring, sardines, pacific cod, striped bass, spot prawns, squid?

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

We have know local fish variety to speak of except for a 'variety of salmon' and overpriced halibut and some 'red snapper. which is various species lumped together and called snapper - okay some cod as well. Therefore we have to rely on the exotics. I support 100% you idea of supporting local fisherman and business but there is only so much you can do with salmon and halibut.

Sablefish, herring, sardines, pacific cod, striped bass, spot prawns, squid?

spotted prawns and squid are not commonly known as fish - we could seperate this into finfish and shellfish I guess

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

Gordon Food Service recently bought Albion Fisheries, hopefully that will give Albion the buying power to outbid the American and Asian distributors as that seems to be where most of the local stuff goes.

I've tried many times to go exclusively West Coast seafood and all seems to go well for a couple weeks then all of a sudden certain types aren't available. Upon questioning my sales reps it usually turns out that its not available to Albion anymore but GFS or North Douglas Sysco will have stock. Its a dollar game and the buyer with the most cash gets the stock.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

Gordon Food Service recently bought Albion Fisheries, hopefully that will give Albion the buying power to outbid the American and Asian distributors as that seems to be where most of the local stuff goes.

I've tried many times to go exclusively West Coast seafood and all seems to go well for a couple weeks then all of a sudden certain types aren't available. Upon questioning my sales reps it usually turns out that its not available to Albion anymore but GFS or North Douglas Sysco will have stock. Its a dollar game and the buyer with the most cash gets the stock.

Colin

My understanding is that GFS has owned a chunk of Albion for a while and recently took complete ownership.

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

Its a dollar game and the buyer with the most cash gets the stock.

Okay, this may be naiive, but why can't we just buy direct from the supplier? I can buy corn, wine, bread, etc. etc. direct from the supplier, why not fish?

I suspect it's the DFO or some such government body, but it seems really strange to me that I can go over to the Sunshine Coast, or Saltspring Island, and the best I can do for buying fish is frozen salmon caught in the Charlottes!

A.

Okay, this may be naive, but why can't we just buy direct from the supplier?  I can buy corn, wine, bread, etc. etc. direct from the supplier, why not fish?

Ckick Here To Learn Out How To Do Just That as mentioned up thread by yours truly.

There are also direct-to-public-sales in Steveston and next to Granville Island-as you well know.

I suspect it's the DFO or some such government body, but it seems really strange to me that I can go over to the Sunshine Coast, or Saltspring Island, and the best I can do for buying fish is frozen salmon caught in the Charlottes!

Partially correct.

In simple terms in order qualify for a license-and to maintain the privilege granted by that license-a Commercial Fisherman must prove he's producing fish-that is to say there must be a paper trail-very little selling for cash/fast/quick/dirty.

Not just DFO is involved here -Revenue Canada wants their cut as well.

Furthermore few Commercial openings are anywhere near the Sunshine Coast or Ganges town-the closest you'll see is maybe a Sockeye opening @ the mouth of the Fraser.

Think of it-a man has 2,00 pounds of fresh fish and so do 35 other boats-WTH are they going to go/do with it before it rots?

It'll start to smell almost right away-it needs to be processed RFN and some processor is waiting with the facilities to so -whaddaya gonna do?

Well as mentioned some people freeze some and take it to the docks (after making sure all the paper is in order) some brave souls make the journey to town with (shudder) fresh fish and find that there are few takers-then they lose Big Time!!!

Colin

My understanding is that GFS has owned a chunk of Albion for a while and recently took complete ownership.

GFS had formed a partnership with Albion, as much as they have a partnership with Intercity packers, Hills foods ect.

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

Colin

GFS had formed a partnership with Albion, as much as they have a partnership with Intercity packers, Hills foods ect.

Then God help us all.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Chefs need to make conscious decisions in regards to their buying practices and go out of their way to support local food and smaller companies. Too many chefs get luyed into thinking sysco and gordon is cheap and easy-you get what you pay for. Lack of training and cooks who do not know how to butcher and process fish. We all have been pushed into the prepared and easy lines from the big companies. The end of cheap labour in the kitchen is near. The wages of the cook is going up and Vancouver is one of the last places where cooks make low wages. Calgary now has to pay 15 an hour to find a first cook- not worth getting out of bed for anything less.

That means get more out of your cooks and get back to the basics and make more fresh stocks and do your own butchery and fish processing.

You need that second homes of by product to make your cost such as pasta specials and utilizing all your seafood trim. Turning all product over and keeping your seafood moving and fresh- the way to keep the quality open.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook