• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chill Winston

SBonner

After having had more than eight experiences at this establishment and seeing several egullet members :hmmm: on several occasions but no posts I thought I would add my comments since none of you have to start the thread rolling.

You should try the:

Golden Beet Cervice with scallops

Bok Choy with Chorizo and tomato

Potato Bravas

The beef tenderloin medallions with Stilton and bone marrow

Trio of truffles (the matcha and pistachio :wub: )

Today's fresh sheet had New Zealand venison and Bison ribeye :smile:

They have a great patio on the corner of Alexander and Water Street (80+ seats) and a very European communal bathroom. Nice room inside with a open kitchen for the entertainment of solo diners. In the works, a large solid wood communal table for private dining, and a 3 metre wide illuminated glass canopy for outside dining during the autumn.

No comments on the wine list as I am consulting on it.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Restaurant website www.chillwinston.ca

Website

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

A friend and I had dinner last night at Chill Winston and had a nice seat at a table on their front patio.

We started out and then continued on with a wheaten beer on tap that was very light and refreshing. We then ordered the roast beef sandwich served open face on toast with melted brie and the pastrami sandwich served open face with sauerkraut and melted Swiss. On the sides we ordered the potatoes bravas along with the butter basted potatoes. We enjoyed both the sandwiches and the butter basted potatoes, my friend though said he was disappointed in the bravas as they we're watery and lacked flavor. Good prices and a nice place to relax with good food and beer on a great summer night is a hard combo to beat.

It is a bit uncomfortable on the patio with the continual barrage of street people literally screaming how hungry they are just steps away from you, but this is something you come to expect in Gastown.

I really liked the clean and simple decor on the inside and the bathrooms are an interesting concept with individual water closets and a communal wash basin.

Our waitress was very friendly, made good recommendations, and took care of us well.

All in all I like the place and will be back to try other things like their popular Ribs

....... and a very European communal bathroom.

What does that entail?

A long sleek bathroom with a centre stainless steel sink. The men's and women's rooms are separated; just a unisex big sink. I've seen a number of these in Barcelona.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

....... and a very European communal bathroom.

What does that entail?

A long sleek bathroom with a centre stainless steel sink. The men's and women's rooms are separated; just a unisex big sink. I've seen a number of these in Barcelona.

Stephen

Thanks. They have one of those at the Canoe. In Victoria.