• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hawaiian Red 'Alea' Sea Salt

renart

I found it on ebay. Straight from Hawaii. I don't remember what it cost or what the shipping was, as I bought more than one thing from the seller. It didn't take too long to get here either, maybe a week.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

might want to call up the Cheese boutique and perhaps Alex farm and cheese... I seem to recall them having red salt, but they came in one of those multi-packs as a gift set of "salts around the world"

But maybe... just maybe, they'll have a source for it. I think your best bet would be Cheese Boutique.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

There is a woman selling salts from all over at the SLM outside the North Building on Saturdays. I bought Himalayan salt (pinkish) and its terrific. She has other kinds--don't know if she has Hawaiian, but it its worth a stop. I vaguely remember asking her about Hawaiian and I think she said she was in the process of arranging import. I took her card, but I can't find it.

I seem to recall them having red salt, but they came in one of those multi-packs as a gift set of "salts around the world"

I got one of those multi-packs at Sam's Club (or was it Costco... I forget now.)

The brand name is "Be" gastronome.

It has:

Hawaiian salt (115g)

Pink salt (124g)

Grey salt (100g)

Fleur de sel (103g)

Brazilian salt (120g)

Sea salt (120g)

French sea salt (122g)

Salt and pepper (104g)

Only cost a few bucks - pretty cheap from what I remember.

If you're not looking for that much, it may be worthwhile to consider.

I picked up two nice size jars of black and red alea salt from Hawaii at Pusateri's. They also carry Gris, Maldon, Fleur de Sel, and the other standards. While I like the Alea quite a bit, it can offset flavours quite a bit and should only be used for finishing.

Mark

Edited by Librarian_chef (log)

FOUND IT!

Went to St. Lawrence Market at lunch today. Lively Life had the frozen banana leaves that I needed. Finding the salt was a bit more difficult.

Most places gave me a blank stare. Lots of other salts from France, Wales...basically all other places with salt water besides Hawaii.

Then, I hit the jackpot. At Scheffler's Deli (on the top floor on east side) there were 2...yes TWO types of Alaea Salt. I bought the stuff by Hawaii Kai. $9.99 for a 227g bag. The other stuff was about 5 bucks more and didn't look as red.

Thanks again all!

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

FOUND IT!

Went to St. Lawrence Market at lunch today. Lively Life had the frozen banana leaves that I needed. Finding the salt was a bit more difficult.

Most places gave me a blank stare. Lots of other salts from France, Wales...basically all other places with salt water besides Hawaii.

Then, I hit the jackpot. At Scheffler's Deli (on the top floor on east side) there were 2...yes TWO types of Alaea Salt. I bought the stuff by Hawaii Kai. $9.99 for a 227g bag. The other stuff was about 5 bucks more and didn't look as red.

Thanks again all!

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

Scheffler's has some wonderful products - they also carry Jamon Iberico. Unfortunately, my girlfriend had a nasty service experience, and I've sworn off them. Bad for everyone. Sigh.

The other source is online via saltworks.com - unfortunately it comes from the States and the boys at the border can really hammer you - at a min they will charge you GST and possibly PST plus if they decide to look inside you have to pay an inspection fee as well (I got killed on a knife I ordered from Japan).

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the tips guys.  I'll try the market, and if I don't find it there will head up to Pusateri.

I'm making a hawaiian pulled pork so this is a critical ingredient...

Will let you know how it goes!

Renart, do you have a recipe for the Hawaiian Pulled Pork you're willing to share? It sounds delicious and I just bought some alalea salt....

Thanks,

Barb