• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Macrina's Baking Book

skyflyer3

I've also made the Olivia's Chocolate Chip cookies and they turned out nothing like Lorna's. Mine spread quite a lot. I'll have to give them another go. The flavor was very good.

Other recipes I've made:

* Sweet & Spicy Nuts

(I made this type of nuts for the first time with this recipe. It was good but I don't have anything to compare it too. I'm not sure this is my favorite recipe for this type of spicy nut mixture. It was okay...just maybe not a knock out.)

* Orzo Salad with Cucumber, Bell Peppers, Basil & Feta (Yum)

* Lemon Butter Cake with Fresh Strawberries & Lemon Cream (Oh-so-light!)

Note: the Macrina lemon cream is not as tart as the Pierre Herme cream

I'm glad this thread got resurected. Reminds me that I wanted to play with this book a bit more. Thanks!

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

^I just cut half the white sugar and didn't replace it with anything. You mentioned your cookies spread out a bit more than mine did--I often stick the dough in the fridge until it's cold, then roll it out into balls and barely flatten them. Make sure your oven is pre-heated too so they don't "melt" in an oven that's not hot enough.

I've tried a few other recipes for chocolate chip cookies in the past few months but I've been going back to the Macrina recipe. I like to also use a touch more salt than specified. :smile:

^I just cut half the white sugar and didn't replace it with anything. You mentioned your cookies spread out a bit more than mine did--I often stick the dough in the fridge until it's cold, then roll it out into balls and barely flatten them. Make sure your oven is pre-heated too so they don't "melt" in an oven that's not hot enough.

I've tried a few other recipes for chocolate chip cookies in the past few months but I've been going back to the Macrina recipe. I like to also use a touch more salt than specified. :smile:

Thanks for the feedback. As I remember the flavor was really good...so it's worth giving it another go. Thanks again!

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy