• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Risotto with dashi?

Kent Wang

I love fish stock-flavored risottos and soups made of dashi, so this sounds like it would probably be pretty good.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I just tried it with a strongly flavored dashi, shallots, no cream, some parm. It was great, you can really taste the mild but pervasive smokiness of the bonito.

Shalamenes, what do you mean "miso broth"? Is that dashi with a good amount of miso paste added to it?

Yup, essentially just miso soup added to risotto.

Just tried this, tasted great. Subtle, just as you described. I also made another batch and folded in some wakame at the end, which tasted fine but perhaps detracted from the creamy nature of the rice.

I think we have a nice Japanese take on risotto going here: miso soup for stock, scallions instead of shallots or onions, and chopped shitake mushrooms.

Yup, essentially just miso soup added to risotto.

Just tried this, tasted great. Subtle, just as you described. I also made another batch and folded in some wakame at the end, which tasted fine but perhaps detracted from the creamy nature of the rice.

I think we have a nice Japanese take on risotto going here: miso soup for stock, scallions instead of shallots or onions, and chopped shitake mushrooms.

I do a dashi risotto with rock shrimp and fresh peas. Just a sesame oil and the end and a pat of butter.