• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Elliott's Oyster House

I was surprised to not be able to find a thread dedicated to this restaurant.

On Sunday, July 16 my friend and I went to Elliott's Oyster House. Very nice view of the waterfront.

gallery_36558_3077_54929.jpg

We took advantage of their progressive happy hour: $0.50 oysters starting at 3:00pm with the price going up $0.20 every half hour. You're looking at three dozen oysters. I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful sight.

gallery_36558_3077_20857.jpg

Oyster sampler. Clockwise from top: Eld Inlet, South Sound, WA, Intertidal beach; Geist Cove, South Puget Sound, WA, Intertidal beach; Westcott Bay European flat, San Juan Island, WA, Japanese lantern net.

gallery_36558_3077_29773.jpg

Pan fried oysters with tartar sauce and Jack Daniel's dipping sauce ($11). Even when fried, one can clearly notice the freshness of the oysters.

gallery_36558_3077_42981.jpg

Oyster shooter.

All told, we had seven dozen raw oysters (including a dozen of the pan fried) between two people. Service was great, oysters were superb and the oysters during the progressive happy hour are a total steal.

Great pictures Ken! Although I am from the school of "only eat oysters with months with an R in them"!

I think that Elliot's being on the pier gets more than it's fair share of tourists- we go to the Brooklyn for our oyster fix. Maybe will have to try Elliott's again when the tourist season dies down!!!

What is the condiment in the center of the oyster platters? The only condiments I have ever had with ousters have been hot sauce or balsamic vinegar.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

That would be the clever frozen balsamic vinegar concoction. It is excellent with raw oysters. I too, only eat oysters during months with "R"s in them.......

-Moose

What is the condiment in the center of the oyster platters?  The only condiments I have ever had with ousters have been hot sauce or balsamic vinegar.

What is the condiment in the center of the oyster platters?  The only condiments I have ever had with ousters have been hot sauce or balsamic vinegar.

It is called a mignonette, which is frozen balsamic vinegar, shallots and some other stuff. I, too, had never encountered it until I arrived in the Pacific Northwest. Is this a regional preference? It tastes great and pairs even better with the oysters, much better than the typical horseradish and cocktail sauce.

I too, only eat oysters during months with "R"s in them.......

Haha! More for me.

Mignonette is red wine vinegar, brunoise of shallots, salt and pepper. It's a traditional French sauce for oysters. I have never seen it frozen anywhere but Seattle, and I must confess I really don't like the frozen version.

As for Elliot's I don't go that often, but they do have a very nice selection of fresh oysters. I've never been super happy with the rest of the menu, however.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code