• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Xiao Long Bao

skunkbunny

Ding Tai Fung (First Markham Place, S side of hwy 7 just E of Woodbine) is supposed to have the best "in" the city, from numerous reports that I've heard, but none newer than ~6mo.

which Asian Legend did you go to? I would say that the ones they serve up are OK, especially for a chain like that, but you can probably do better within 3 or 4 samplings of no-name places.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the limited selection of restaurants that offer good XLB in Toronto, I also put in my vote for Asian Legends (the one in Chinatown, on Dundas, is ok; the one by Sheppard is better) and Ding Tai Fung - although I haven't been to the latter for a while and I've heard that they're not as good as they first were. :unsure:

I have to say, nothing compares to the XLB that I had in Shanghai... but I digress.

Do you prefer the traditional all pork filling, or ones with the pork and crab (crab meat and crab roe)? The crab and pork combo, if done well, is SO GOOD! :wub:

In the limited selection of restaurants that offer good XLB in Toronto, I also put in my vote for Asian Legends (the one in Chinatown, on Dundas, is ok; the one by Sheppard is better) and Ding Tai Fung - although I haven't been to the latter for a while and I've heard that they're not as good as they first were.  :unsure: 

I have to say, nothing compares to the XLB that I had in Shanghai... but I digress.

Do you prefer the traditional all pork filling, or ones with the pork and crab (crab meat and crab roe)?  The crab and pork combo, if done well, is SO GOOD!  :wub:

Apparently a lot of restaurants cheat by putting in frozen soup cubes.

Mark

Usually, as I understand it, the stock that is incorporated into the pork filling is gelatinized using pig trotters. If you were using frozen stock you would be able to get around the step of enriching your stock. So cheaper and less time.

:hmmm: How would they keep those soup cubes frozen in the hundreds of xiao long baos waiting to be steamed?

If they are making the stock anyway, adding gelatin powder to set the stock wouldn't take that much more work... :unsure:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Usually, as I understand it, the stock that is incorporated into the pork filling is gelatinized using pig trotters. If you were using frozen stock you would be able to get around the step of enriching your stock. So cheaper and less time.

:hmmm: How would they keep those soup cubes frozen in the hundreds of xiao long baos waiting to be steamed?

If they are making the stock anyway, adding gelatin powder to set the stock wouldn't take that much more work... :unsure:

You are assuming that they are steaming ones that are made fresh and not frozen ones or ones made yesterday.

On a side note, does anyone know where to find steamed buns with egg, Lop Cheong, and chicken filling? I used to buy them at the Melewa on Dundas west, but haven't been down there in some time. There used to be this great place just a couple doors south of the old Hsin Kuang on spadina's west side, but they closed years ago.

Mark

Edited by Librarian_chef (log)

On a side note, does anyone know where to find steamed buns with egg, Lop Cheong, and chicken filling?  I used to buy them at the Melewa on Dundas west, but haven't been down there in some time.  There used to be this great place just a couple doors south of the old Hsin Kuang on spadina's west side, but they closed years ago.

Mark

Oh wow, "Dai Bao" - it's been a while since I've had one (a good one, that is). If we're on the subject of cravings to be fulfilled, I've been looking for a bakery that carries "che lun bao" (aka the long ridged cylindrical bread with raisins; yummy crust to innards ration). Neither Kim Moon nor the Vietnamese bakery next to it carry it. I know it's more old style as I haven't been found it in any of the more new style bakeries that have a million and one combinations of bread and fillings (I don't particularly like the spongier less toasted exterior of larger raisin roll like bread the the Taiwanese bakery Cheung King (sp?) although they've got decent other stuff).

Renka, maybe T&T supermarket? They seem to have a large bakery section. Also, there's a decent bakery that I like inside Metro Square, although they seem to be more TW-style (and I assume from the name that the raisin thing pastry is more HK?). If those are a trek for you let me know and I can go pre-scouting at lunch next week.

Edited by Endy' (log)

Renka, maybe T&T supermarket?  They seem to have a large bakery section.  Also, there's a decent bakery that I like inside Metro Square, although they seem to be more TW-style (and I assume from the name that the raisin thing pastry is more HK?).  If those are a trek for you let me know and I can go pre-scouting at lunch next week.

T&T's buns are okay, but not stupendous; like their sushi. My wife, sons, and I usually go to the Promenade one on Saturdays (my son loves the samples, even the sea cucumber). I really like the bakery in the chinese plaza on the NE corner of Leslie and Finch. Great prices and very fresh. They don't do steamed buns though, so no Dai bao. My wife loves the cream filled ones whereas I prefer the savoury types like char chiu bao and guy bao. My eldest son (3) loves hot dog buns and the egg from the egg buns.

Mark

Renka, maybe T&T supermarket?  They seem to have a large bakery section.  Also, there's a decent bakery that I like inside Metro Square, although they seem to be more TW-style (and I assume from the name that the raisin thing pastry is more HK?).  If those are a trek for you let me know and I can go pre-scouting at lunch next week.

T&T's buns are okay, but not stupendous; like their sushi. My wife, sons, and I usually go to the Promenade one on Saturdays (my son loves the samples, even the sea cucumber). I really like the bakery in the chinese plaza on the NE corner of Leslie and Finch. Great prices and very fresh. They don't do steamed buns though, so no Dai bao. My wife loves the cream filled ones whereas I prefer the savoury types like char chiu bao and guy bao. My eldest son (3) loves hot dog buns and the egg from the egg buns.

Mark

Hi all,

I'm rather a bread crazed "snob." Ha ha. :blush:

I like plain "pai bao" or "chan bao," personally. The ones with fillings, only if a craving sets in. Sometimes, I go crazy for freshly baked "bo loh bao" (aka pineapple topped ones, without actual pineapples or filling).

I find the T&T breads here soppy, and very oily (vs. i.e. in Vancouver). They're also less airy and fluffy. The sponge is lacking or dry. I think I've tried the Metro Square one a while back... it's ok. I can't remember. If you do go Endy', let me know how you find it and if you do see the "cheh leun bao" - I think its name is reminiscent of i.e. cart wheels as it's circular. I like more toasty crusts, vs a roll with raisins in it, that I've seen at the "newer" bakeries.

Happy eating! Hope to hear a report soon!

yeah, I asked an HK co-worker about those car-tire buns; he confirmed the name and said they're available at just about any bakery. As far as letting you know how I find them, though -- I was only going to go scouting; I don't like raisins so I wasn't about to TRY any :P. I haven't tried T&T's baked goods, but I liked most of the stuff I got from that place at Metro. Mostly flaky red and green bean and green tea pastries, and maybe some taro stuff.

yeah, I asked an HK co-worker about those car-tire buns; he confirmed the name and said they're available at just about any bakery. 

Really?? I haven't seen them down in Chinatown for the longest while! Maybe that's why I have a craving for them. When you can't have things anymore, that's when you want them the most! The only thing I've seen there that resembles the "car-tire" bread are really pale cousins. I guess the bakeries they're at are uptown. Boo to that! Thanks for the help anyway, maybe I'll just have to wait until I head back west to satisfy this craving. :sad:

my group at work is almost all HKs, and apparently they don't know anything about downtown Chinatown (I think most if not all immigrated after downtown Chinatown died). So I suspect he was talking specifically about Markham/Richmond Hill...