• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special Occasion Dinner

njduchess

We still have no plans or reservations for my birthday coming up in less than two weeks. Last year we went to Restaurant Nicolas and truly enjoyed it. As a matter of fact, I just received a card from them inviting us back - and a box of chocolates is waiting for me! We could do that.

My first choice for this year was the Stone Barn at Blue Hill. When my husband called to book it last week, we found that we were way too late. They take reservations 2 months in advance. They also serve at their bar - first come, first served - and we are considering that. We could get there very early because we would be going on a Wednesday - our day off. Has anyone done this?

For my husband's birthday, we went to Venue. I would go back there if only they were still there. We went to David Drake for our anniversay so that is out.

Bottom line: we think we would like to stay in New Jersey (or NY State - not Manhattan). Anyone have any great ideas for a special meal?

Marie

NJDuchess

I recommend Rats Restaurant if you’ve never been there. Try to get there about an hour before your reservation and walk the grounds before dining. Nice place and great food.

http://ratsrestaurant.org/

btw: when dining, the servers come around with some sort of 'bread' which was soooooo gooooood!! I could have eaten it for appetizer, dinner and dessert, and then take some home.

:D

If you liked Nicholas, and David Drake's, you'll undoubtedly like Blue Hill at Stone Barns. You might also like David Burke's Fromagerie in Rumson.

The cooking is on a par with Nicholas and Drake's, although the rooms are a bit dated in appearance. (Burke took over the place recently)

Fromagerie Website

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks, Paul for your suggestion. We have a reservation at Fromagerie. We were actually going to go on Tuesday, 8/22, but found that they had a special event that night. It is David Burke's take on a clam bake. The menu sounded great and it seemed like a very good deal at $125 pp. It included 6 courses all paired wth wines. We decided to go on the 23rd instead in order to sample a regular night's menu.

I'll report back. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Marie

NJDuchess

Thanks, Paul for your suggestion.  We have a reservation at Fromagerie.  We were actually going to go on Tuesday, 8/22, but found that they had a special event that night.  It is David Burke's take on a clam bake.  The menu sounded great and it seemed like a very good deal at $125 pp.  It included 6 courses all paired wth wines.  We decided to go on the 23rd instead in order to sample a regular night's menu. 

I'll report back.  Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Marie

I haven't been to David Burke's Fromagerie but I've been to David Burke's other restaurants especially David Burke and Donatella's in NYC which I love.

I just got the email about the clam bake and thought it looked wonderful. I was thinking of going. :smile: I don't think you can go wrong though with David Burke. And he's a N.J. boy too!!! :wink:

Lori