• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coming in to NYC

tippingvelvet

I live in Jersey and myself and a few friends (30's & 40's) are coming into the City tomorrow around 3:00 pm just to Walk around, Hangout, Drink & have dinner. I'd like to stay downtown, anyone have any ideas or favorite areas they could suggest we go????

Ok here goes....

Charlie Palmer at Astra..... They do LUNCH only!!!

ohhh im sorry its at 58thst on the 14th floor at 3rd avenue

Awsome view, very inexpensive food for a named chef... it is actually their catering venu.... i dont think any of their entrees were over 15 dollars..... it was decent, the view was Great.

Ok lets get downtown

Centrico an Aaron Sanchez restaurant

211 WEST BROADWAY On the 1 train.

Battery Gardens

Chef Tommy Lee Great view, i havent tried the food.... but its an awsome spot

Located at Battery Park, its inside the park.... overlookin the statue

Gigino At Wagner Park

323 Greenwich Street

Its far to the right of Battery Gardens

Old Homestead is one of the Oldest Steakhouses in NYC

Located

56 9TH AVENUE

have fun

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

I live in Jersey and myself and a few friends (30's & 40's) are coming into the City tomorrow around 3:00 pm just to Walk around, Hangout, Drink & have dinner. I'd like to stay downtown, anyone have any ideas or favorite areas they could suggest we go????

You could do an early dinner at Lupa and then drinks at Pegu...and then perhaps a walk through SoHo and Tribeca to a late dinner at Landmarc?

All of those spots are close by each other (well, relatively - Landmarc is a longer (but interesting) walk from the first two), and are in great areas for strolling around...you'll be in the village and SoHo, fabulous for shopping and people watching.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

What/where exactly is "downtown?"

Interesting question. When I was driving a cab (back in the day), "downtown" to me literally meant the financial district. Otherwise, you were going to the east village, west village, lower east side, alphabet city, Chinatown, whatever.

Today, it's a much harder call - 14th st. might be a good starting point, but I don't think people mean downtown when they're going to, say Pastis...that's kinda the meatpacking district.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

In this era if I'm referring to any business travel or meetings it still means (to me) the Financial District. But I more frequently hear that general area described as Lower Manhattan these days because it also encompasses the residential areas of Battery Park City.

But when people are talking about going out for dining and evening entertainment I generally... if they live in Midtown or further up - everything south of 14th is "downtown".