• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly's Cheesesteaks In Hoboken, NJ

jrichman

Philly's Cheesesteak is a great place in Hoboken (523 Washington St)! The owners are very friendly and they really make a great cheesesteak. I highly recommend this place and here is a picture of my latest visit. This was a "Wiz Wit."

gallery_26061_3411_32208.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the photo. That looks like it's .01% of the size of a steak

you get down here. Did you eat most of it before you took the photo?

Also, one of my criteria is that if the menu says "philly cheesesteak" or even worse "philly steak and cheese" I'd leave.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Thanks for the photo. That looks like it's .01% of the size of a steak

you get down here. Did you eat most of it before you took the photo?

Also, one of my criteria is that if the menu says "philly cheesesteak" or even worse "philly steak and cheese" I'd leave.

That is only a picture of half of the steak...I have been to all the places in philly...Pat's, Geno's, Rick's, Steve's just to name a few and in terms of size it is very comparable to all of the above...although the size of the Steve's Steak is larger than most in my opinion due to the use of th e"Torpedo Roll." All in all it is a great place for a cheesesteak in Northern NJ!!!

seems to me that using the term "philly cheesesteak" is a perfect way of communicating to the customer exactly what the product is.

In theory, yes.

In practice, it has usually been the case that those places that serve sandwiches that are called "Philly cheesesteaks" produce pale imitations of the genuine article.

Judging from the photo in post 1, this place in Hoboken is an exception to the rule.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

seems to me that using the term "philly cheesesteak" is a perfect way of communicating to the customer exactly what the product is.

In theory, yes.

In practice, it has usually been the case that those places that serve sandwiches that are called "Philly cheesesteaks" produce pale imitations of the genuine article.

Judging from the photo in post 1, this place in Hoboken is an exception to the rule.

no doubt most places suck. however, dismissing a place because it calls its philly-style cheesesteak a "philly cheesesteak" seems like a reaction to a generalization. from a restaurant owner's perspective, i'd say that "philly cheesesteak" is the smartest name for the product.

• 2 weeks later...

This placed was actually owned by a "group of guys" (probably 5 or 6 of them) until they sold to the new owners about a year ago. When i heard about the large group who opened it i commented to my wife that there were probably too many hands on the pot it wouldn't work... they sold (to the current owners) about a year or so after opening.

I had a sandwich from here the other nite for the first time and although it was 'good', it didn't compare to Jim's, Pat's, etc. I'd certainly have another one, but not a 'destination' cheesesteak worth driving out of your way for (imo).

I always assumed the owner's name was Phil, given the apostrophe in Philly's Cheesesteaks. :)

Been here a couple of times. While I love a good cheesesteak, and have been to Pat's, Jim's and the like in Philly, I don't consider myself a cheesesteak afficianado. That said, this is a decent rendition of the classic, although I have to say I think I liked the previous incarnation (Jake's) a little better. Better seasoned meat and I thought the bread and fries were better. Current FF are bulk frozen batter dipped -- not bad, but nothing special. Certainly a long ways from fresh hand cut fries.

And it's pricey -- about $10 for a steak, fries and coke. I don't know how long they'll be around. They never seem to be particularly busy, although they've obviously got some good margins at those prices. With what the rents on Washington street are these days, I'd think they'd need to sell a lot of steaks to make $$.

Anyway, my $0.02 is that it's not a bad place if you need a cheesesteak fix, but not worth going out of your way for.

In theory, yes.

no doubt most places suck. however, dismissing a place because it calls its philly-style cheesesteak a "philly cheesesteak" seems like a reaction to a generalization. from a restaurant owner's perspective, i'd say that "philly cheesesteak" is the smartest name for the product.

yes you're right. I certainly wouldn't want to be duped into getting an Albuquerque cheese steak or worse a Cincinatti cheese steak. There so just so many other famous cheesesteaks that putting philly in front "perfectly" describes the final product.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

In theory, yes.

yes you're right.

yes i'm aware of that.