• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vacuum Machine for Chocolate

Truffle Guy

I was reading one of my L'Ecole books and it mentioned using a vacuum to make a ganache. The picture shows a very simple looking machine.

Does anyone have any information on where I can purchase a vacuum machine for making ganache?

Does anyone have any experience with this type of machine?

Here is the picture from volume 1 of l'ecole Lenotre. Excuse the poor quality.

gallery_34671_2649_28410.jpg

I found a website by searching 'vacuum mixers' here.

The units on other websites looked a whole lot bigger than this one. I've never seen anything like this outside a lab. I suppose you could mix your ganache then put it in a solid foodsaver container and evacuate it to see if that would remove all the bubbles, but you couldn't mix it under vacuum in that.

You are getting into some serious kitchen toys here!

If you want to go manual you can get this 500ml manual mixer for around $90, but you have to supply your own vacuum pump. That will set you back another $270 or so.

http://www.averon.ru/english/equipment/ind...group=7&item=37

It would take a few batches at only 2 cups of ganache, but it's actually affordable if you think that your chocolates are going to sit around more than a couple weeks before being eaten.

Other than extending shelf life, what does a vacuum mixer do for the ganache?

I could make out some claim for improved texture in the picture of l'ecole Lenotre, but I am wondering how this is supposed to come about. Is the effect pronouced enough that I might want to obtain a vacuum mixer just for the improved texture?

Also, how much longer a shelf life would ganache mixed under vacuum have over standard mixing for a basic cream and chocolate recipie?

i'm also curious on the benefits of a vaccum mixer. once the ganache is made in the mixer, is it stored in a vaccum as well? what is the process?

Look here for information about the Stephan line:

http://www.stephan-usa.com/product_list.aspx

No prices listed, but you can contact them for a quote.

Cheers,

Steve

• 9 months later...

I found this old thread and asked Stephan USA about their mixer. Looks as you if you need to redo the wiring in your house to get one (see reply from Stephan USA below). I didn't even get to asking about the cost.

Mr. ejw50,

The VCM 5 w/ vacuum only comes in 208/220 V, single phase. The machine does

not come with a plug, because there are to many different kinds to try and

match. You could use this in your home, if you had another breaker put in.

Thank you for the interest in Stephan Machinery.

Regards,

Eric

i'm also curious on the benefits of a vaccum mixer. once the ganache is made in the mixer, is it stored in a vaccum as well? what is the process?
Look here for information about the Stephan line:

http://www.stephan-usa.com/product_list.aspx

No prices listed, but you can contact them for a quote.

Cheers,

Steve

Other than extending shelf life, what does a vacuum mixer do for the ganache?

I could make out some claim for improved texture in the picture of l'ecole Lenotre, but I am wondering how this is supposed to come about.  Is the effect pronouced enough that I might want to obtain a vacuum mixer just for the improved texture? 

Also, how much longer a shelf life would ganache mixed under vacuum have over standard mixing for a basic cream and chocolate recipie?

I have never used one but have heard that the vacuum mixers "dry out" the ganache - and not in a good way. I'd definitely want to compare before jumping on the vacuum bandwagon.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I have never used one but have heard that the vacuum mixers "dry out" the ganache - and not in a good way.  I'd definitely want to compare before jumping on the vacuum bandwagon.

I agree in theory, but it's hard to test without a Stephan mixer at your disposal.

That said, I feel reasonably confident that it doesn't hurt the ganache.

On my last trip to Hawaii, I had some chocolates from Padovani's chocolates. They were as good as any I've had. It was my lucky day and Padovani himself was in the store and talked to me for almost an hour on techniques and even his recipes! One of which is a vacuum mixer.

Other comparisons can be found in products out there. A search on the web shows that the following also use vacuum: Vosges Chocolates and Torres. Pierre Herme has his Ispahan ganache recipe online

http://www.starchefs.com/features/fly_on_t...o_p_herme.shtml

which he uses a Stephan.

I figure if Pierre Herme does it, it can't be that bad.

Anyway, I am not a professional or anything, but at the least the point about shelf life seems to make sense.

Edited by ejw50 (log)