• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American (foodie) in China

ulterior epicure

You know, ash123, I don't know... I assume it has soy sauce and lots of cornstarch... perhaps some beef stock.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

What kind of brown sauce do they use in the following dish? Anyone?

My guess is something like:

1. "Superior" broth (chicken or pork typically) + dark soy sauce + salt + corn starch for the Northern style cooking.

2. "Superior" broth (chicken or pork typically) + oyster sauce + salt + corn starch for the Southern style (Cantonese) cooking.

Or a combination of the above.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

What kind of brown sauce do they use in the following dish? Anyone?

My guess is something like:

1. "Superior" broth (chicken or pork typically) + dark soy sauce + salt + corn starch for the Northern style cooking.

2. "Superior" broth (chicken or pork typically) + oyster sauce + salt + corn starch for the Southern style (Cantonese) cooking.

Or a combination of the above.

Thanks Ah Leung. One quick question, when you saute chicken and vegetables with brown sauce do we saute ginger/garlic/scallion with it or is just the brown sauce?

Thanks Ah Leung. One quick question, when you saute chicken and vegetables with brown sauce do we saute ginger/garlic/scallion with it or is just the brown sauce?

Typically:

Marinate the chicken. Cook the chicken over high heat to slightly undercooked (pink color has barely disappeared). Remove.

Option 1: Sautee the vegetables with oil and garlic/ginger/scallion and salt. Pour in chicken broth, bring to a boil, add soy sauce or oyster sauce, followed by corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce. Return the chicken and mix well with the vegetables before serving. This is typically done with bamboo shoots, all kinds of mushrooms, string beans, egg plants, melons, etc..

Option 2: Satuee the vegetables with oil and garlic/ginger/scallion and salt until cooked. Remove. Lay on the serving plate. Make the brown sauce separately (chicken broth, soy sauce or oyster sauce, followed by corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce). Return the chicken to the sauce to heat up a bit, then pour sauce+chicken on top of the vegetables. Or lay the chicken on top of the vegetables, then pour the brown sauce on top. This is typically done with vegetables that have green leaves, such as bok choy, chinese broccoli, lettuce, choy sum, Chinese mustard green, etc..

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Tong Fu Lin Roast Duck House

26, Che Men Wai Da Street

Zhao Yang District

Beijing, China

(Inside the Clothier/Garment Association courtyard)

Tel: 010-64175678

Thanks for sharing your eating adventures with us!

Just a correction on the address of Tong Fu Lin Roast Duck House. The correct address is 26 Dongzhimen Wai Da Jie, Chaoyang District. The telephone number is correct.

It is in a little lane off Dongzhimen Wai Da Jie, across from the Australian Embassy.