• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anybody try Timestrips yet?

estherschindler

In her weekly e-mail newsletter, Lynne Rosetto Kaspar mentioned a new product called Timestrips that she hasn't tried yet:

http://www.timestrip.com/home.html

Timestrips® are single-use, disposable, smart-labels, which automatically monitor lapsed time, ranging from under 1 day to 6 months.

The technology behind the revolutionary Timestrip® works by capillary action, allowing a tinted liquid to migrate through a micro-porous material at a consistent rate.

It definitely sounds neat. I'd actually be able to estimate how long that BBQ sauce has been in the refrigerator without consulting my past social schedule. ("Let's see, did we make that before or after Grace was here?")

Anybody played with 'em yet? Got an opinion?

Sounds like a great idea. I will be curious to read opinions and perhaps try it myself.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Doesn't a piece of masking tape with the date written on it work just as well?

:laugh: Good point!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Doesn't a piece of masking tape with the date written on it work just as well?

Yeah but..... the masking tape keeps going walkabout and if the masking tape is caged then the marking pen goes walkabout! :rolleyes:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
Sounds like a great idea. I will be curious to read opinions and perhaps try it myself.

I couldn't wait for someone else to make a report. So I asked the company for a review kit, and just posted the review here on Consumer Electronics Network.

In short: very nifty. But a product desperately in search of the right price point.

I couldn't wait for someone else to make a report. So I asked the company for a review kit, and just posted the review here on Consumer Electronics Network.

In short: very nifty. But a product desperately in search of the right price point.

Nice review, Esther. Thanks for the review and the link. I think you're right about the price point.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown