• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay Restaurant Primer

My husband and I will be in London for 2 days in mid September after being in Italy for a few weeks before heading home to Seattle. Well before the tv hype I have wanted to dine at one of Ramsay's restaurants so am now checking them out. But there are quite a few and I'm not familiar with the differences. locations, cuisine, etc.

Can any of you give me a primer and also suggest which ones are your favorite and why? Thank you so much!

Here's what's in Wikipedia:

* Gordon Ramsay at Royal Hospital Road (three Michelin stars)

* Gordon Ramsay at Claridge's (one Michelin star), Mark Sargeant (chef partner)

* The Boxwood Cafe at the Berkeley Hotel

* The Connaught Hotel (one Michelin star), Angela Hartnett (chef partner)

* The Savoy Grill (one Michelin star)

* Banquette at the Savoy Grill

* Petrus at the Berkeley Hotel (one Michelin star), Marcus Wareing (chef partner)

* Gordon Ramsay at Conrad Tokyo, Tokyo

* Verre at the Hilton Dubai Creek, Dubai

If it was my first time (which it would be) at a GR restaurant, I'd pick the first.

Thanks johnsmith, there is a very nice website also which shows sample menus, etc:

GR Restaurants

I was looking at the first one but I think they are only open Mon thru Fri. We will be there Sat and Sunday. Is that pretty normal in London for some restaurants to be closed on Sat?

Thanks johnsmith, there is a very nice website also which shows sample menus, etc:

GR Restaurants

I was looking at the first one but I think they are only open Mon thru Fri. We will be there Sat and Sunday. Is that pretty normal in London for some restaurants to be closed on Sat?

Yeah, I was about to post that link -- it has a lot of info about his restaurants.

I don't think it's common for restaurants in London to be closed on Saturday -- I remember reading somewhere that GR's financial backers thought he was crazy for wanting to be closed on Saturday (Sunday too IIRC), but I think GR said he does it so he can spend the time with his family.

- Gordon Ramsay at Royal Hospital Road (three Michelin stars)

flagship restaurant - excellent food, v expensive wine - very, very hard to get in

- Gordon Ramsay at Claridge's (one Michelin star), Mark Sargeant (chef partner)

Claridges is a british institution - food good rather than stunning - don't

seem to want to raise the bar to two stars but its been a while I've been there

- The Boxwood Cafe at the Berkeley Hotel

average restaurant - liked it at the beginning - but recent lunch there was dire

- The Connaught Hotel (one Michelin star), Angela Hartnett (chef partner)

went first week it opened - really bad but I'm sure that was just opening

week jitters. Connaught also a british institution but not nearly as

lovely as claridges

- Petrus

Went to to the old one & it seemed to just dish out cut down versions

of RHR. Haven't gone to the new one

I haven't been to the rest

RHR is definitely special if you can get in - the food is also staggeringly reasonable for a 3* Other than that claridges is a hoot