• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer from Poland and Russia

Aurora

Chicago is the home of the world's largest Polish population outside of Poland. As a result, Chicago has access to wonderful Polish food (Kasia's Deli on Chicago Ave. and The Red Apple on Milwaukee are among my favorites). We also have a broad selection of Polish beers to choose from.

Tonight, actually while writing this, I am drinking Zywiec. Though I don't know for sure, I think it's a lager. It has a nutty flavor and is mildly sweet. It is 5.7% alcohol and comes in a 1 pt., 1 oz. bottle. It's good, and I would like to know if anyone else has tried it. Are there any suggestions about Polish (and Russian) beer in general? Does anyone have a favorite or two?

With a cigar, I like Hevelius Kaper from Poland. It's an amber colored, strong tasting beer with 9.1% alcohol.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx